Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

kokkiklhs
Vic 20 Dabbler

Re: Games we want to see

Post by kokkiklhs »

Antarctic Adventure by Konami:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSzQI1Raf0s

This is one of the most amusing 8-bit games I've ever seen, I personally love it...
Unfortunately it was originally only available for the MSX range of computers, later converted for some games consoles and for PC/DOS...
No other 8-bit computer version has been released so far AFAIK and it surprises me, it's a damn nice little game (I think the original cart is only 16kb) and it could be perfectly ported to other Z80 platforms like the Amstrad, or even Spectrum...
On 6502 machines, I think that the C64, Atari 800 and even the Oric could have decent versions, but what about the VIC?
Would it be possible with e.g. 32k of RAM and/or disk loader for the multiple stages?
:roll:
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

That should be fairly doable, look at Buck Rodgers or Pole position to get an idea what it might look like.
kokkiklhs
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by kokkiklhs »

beamrider wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:57 am That should be fairly doable, look at Buck Rodgers or Pole position to get an idea what it might look like.
Oh, you're right, both these game have a very nice vertical pseudo-perspective scrolling which also turns (moves) horizontally... and it goes rather well!
That's exactly what's needed here, the only thing seriously missing is a talented programmer, fond of penguins and icy landscapes!!
:mrgreen:
Noizer
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Noizer »

kokkiklhs wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:16 pm
beamrider wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:57 am That should be fairly doable, look at Buck Rodgers or Pole position to get an idea what it might look like.
Oh, you're right, both these game have a very nice vertical pseudo-perspective scrolling which also turns (moves) horizontally... and it goes rather well!
That's exactly what's needed here, the only thing seriously missing is a talented programmer, fond of penguins and icy landscapes!!
Your chance to begin coding could be here, giving some shape to your path on denial way 🙃
Valid rule today as earlier: 1 Byte = 8 Bits
-._/classes instead of masses\_.-
kokkiklhs
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by kokkiklhs »

Noizer wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:35 pm Your chance to begin coding could be here, giving some shape to your path on denial way 🙃
Ars longa, vita brevis... :roll:
Noizer
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Noizer »

kokkiklhs wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:57 pm
Noizer wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:35 pm Your chance to begin coding could be here, giving some shape to your path on denial way 🙃
Just because of that... on Denial you can find all the information to take off
Valid rule today as earlier: 1 Byte = 8 Bits
-._/classes instead of masses\_.-
kokkiklhs
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by kokkiklhs »

Noizer wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:03 pm
Too old to code... :mrgreen:
But you're right, with all the info readily available, I may give it a try some day, I'd really love to...
mathom
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by mathom »

kokkiklhs wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:17 pm
Noizer wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:03 pm
Too old to code... :mrgreen:
But you're right, with all the info readily available, I may give it a try some day, I'd really love to...
Some day? You obviously need some more latin. Carpe diem? :lol:
...mathom...
kokkiklhs
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by kokkiklhs »

mathom wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:07 am Some day? You obviously need some more latin. Carpe diem? :lol:
Hmmm, I love latin and you're right, it's just that I already have some half a billion *urgent* things to do with my life, some more open/unfinished hobby projects and I wouldn't like to add one more right now...
:lol:

But hey, people, let's stick to the "games we want to see" subject, as I fear this is going to turn to a classical studies thread, with lots of latin and philosophy!!!
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

kokkiklhs wrote:[...] it's just that I already have some half a billion *urgent* things to do with my life, [...]
How about doing a mock-up of an in-game screen with either beamrider's Screen Designer or my own MINIPAINT?
kokkiklhs
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by kokkiklhs »

Mike wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:58 am How about doing a mock-up of an in-game screen with either beamrider's Screen Designer or my own MINIPAINT?
Yes, it's an excellent idea, I'll give it a go! Thanks!!!
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

River Raid 8)
huffelduff
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by huffelduff »

Hi kokkiklhs and Mike,

I did a mock-up.
I have a pole position type engine I wrote a while back that's unfortunately still half done.
If I get around to finishing it I might try to make this sort of game.
I don't think I could do a carbon copy though, because as you know that type of end-result takes months/years to accomplish.

Greetings

Huffelduff
Image - Polar Panic - mockup.png
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

I don't know, maybe I'm a little bit repetitive but... after a lot of years what about Le Mans from C64 (a Monaco GP clone)

A good starting point could be Tammerfors from Aleksi Eeben (aeb here on denial)

Video with game and sources download here:

what do you think?
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
kokkiklhs
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by kokkiklhs »

huffelduff wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:47 am Hi kokkiklhs and Mike,

I did a mock-up.
I have a pole position type engine I wrote a while back that's unfortunately still half done.
If I get around to finishing it I might try to make this sort of game.
I don't think I could do a carbon copy though, because as you know that type of end-result takes months/years to accomplish.

Greetings

Huffelduff

Image - Polar Panic - mockup.png
Gee, thanks, this looks fabulous!!!