need advice: 5-1/4 to d64

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

bradw2k
Vic 20 Newbie

need advice: 5-1/4 to d64

Post by bradw2k »

I was very excited yesterday to find, tucked away in my Ultima IV box for the C-64 (the only Commodore software I kept), my original 5-1/4" floppy with the French Silk "DEVELOP-64" assembler for C-64 on it that I mentioned in another thread! :D As far as I can tell by googling, there is no binary of this program anywhere on the internet. I also just emailed Don French the author and he does not even have it anymore. (Funny how so many of us discarded so much software 20 years ago and now would love to have it back!)

Can anyone recommend how to try and get a d64 image made of this disk? I read about cbm4win but I don't have the necessary hardware and I don't want to buy it, since this is my only archiving project. I'd rather find someone very serious about archiving who already has the tools and knowledge to do it, and wouldn't charge too much. Hopefully the disk is still readable.

I hope it is alright to ask on here even though it is C-64 software -- I'm guessing the archiving process is the same for Vic 20 and C-64 5-1/4" floppies (?). This forum has been good to me and I thought I'd try here before going and joining a C-64 forum.

Any advice appreciated. You can also email me at my Denial username @gmail.com.

Thanks,
Brad
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

Your best bet is to build or buy an X-series cable (XE1541, XA1541, etc.) and use cbm4win or Star Commander, or if you have a Retro Replay cartridge + RR-Net network card you can use Warpcopy without the need for a special cable.

If you want someone else to do it for you I'm pretty sure there are Commodore users from Portland who can help you. I'm almost certain I've seen people form Portland on the Lemon 64 forums.

I'd be glad to do it myself, but I don't think you should risk sending the disk across the Atlantic.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
bradw2k
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by bradw2k »

That was good advice, I indeed found a Commodore user's group close to Portland by searching Lemon 64, and will be contacting them.

Thanks,
Brad