Do you load games from tape anymore?

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Do you load games from tape anymore?

Post by Jeff-20 »

When was the last time you loaded a game from tape? Do we still do this? I think I've been spoiled by disk drives and emulation.

Would you still be patient enough to load Blue Meanies from a tape and play it these days? I see a lot of tape collectors, but I really wonder if they play from those game tapes.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

Re: Do you load games from tape anymore?

Post by MacbthPSW »

Jeff-20 wrote:When was the last time you loaded a game from tape? Do we still do this? I think I've been spoiled by disk drives and emulation.
I only use tape if I'm deliberately digging through boxes of tapes, looking for old stuff of mine, or stuff I bought used and have never seen before.

Otherwise I'm using my JiffyDOS'd VIC with my FD-2000 most of the time. I hardly even use 5.25" disks anymore.
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

The last time on a VIC 20? Early 1984 I think. That's when I bought a C64 and 1541. I don't have any VIC games on tape and I can't be bothered to transfer any to tape just to experience those long loading times.

I actually have a few C64 tape games that came with C64s I've bought over the last few years. I have loaded one or two on occasion but I honestly can't stand the loading times.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

I recently found in the box my VC20 came in, a cassette from Commodore, also with the VC20 logo on it... called Hell Driver.. instructions etc in German..

Loading it up brought back the same feelings of anticipation as I used to get 24 years ago when I bought a new game..

so.. yeah, maybe it's better to try some new games on tape, for that feeling of anticipation..

-G
3^4 is 81.0000001
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Last time? Probably when I bought my last vic-20 and that was last year I think... There was a bunch of tapes with it that I wanted to check out.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
d0c
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by d0c »

only disk for the vic20, have a few tapes but i dont use them... the c64 i use the mmc64 the most and a few time the disk drive, i got allot of boxes stuffed with original games on cassettes but rarely use them..... the last time was in the year 2000 i think...

so overall its the mmc64 i use the most and a few time i use the diskdrive....
1983 vic20 & 3k-16k ram expansion....
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

d0c wrote:so overall its the mmc64 i use the most and a few time i use the diskdrive....
Same for me - except for some VIC cassettes that I never managed to convert into tap or d64/t64 formats.

Nor I have seen them running on the real machine, because ALL my three VICs happen to be faulty (cassette player not powered, and I'm sure it's the VIC because the player works well with the C64).

[OT] BTW, someone can help me? What can be causing the problem? :?
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I have a few VIC tapes; four original games and a half dozen of self recorded ones with listings and some copied games. I can't say that I ever load from them. Actually it is more likely that I will use a C2N with my C64, as I have more tapes to that one.

On my other, Acorn branch of vintage computing, I currently have to resort entirely to tapes as two out of three computers lack disk interfaces. There was one up for grabs on eBay today, but I didn't bid high enough. Somehow I don't like the concept of paying more for an interface card than I can get a whole computer with the card installed. Certainly shipping would be much higher on the latter, but I would also get much more for the money.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

All VIC software I recently archived, such as motor mouse and practicalc had to be tested by loading them from a datasette but otherwise, the favored storage device for my VIC is now my 1581.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

I've the original tape of "TROUT" a Salmon Run version with different Title screen or vice versa, i've some other Sirius titles too and several not original tape mostly with Italian games, my last tape game tested was Trout to convert it in TAP form (and after single filed by me) one year ago.

It is at least 3 years that i use for daily works 1581 drives, i've some 1541-II drive too but i use them only for tests.
Zeela
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Zeela »

Me, and some friends had a "retro-gaming"-party a couple of weekends ago...

Then we loaded up games from tape to get in the right mood... :wink:
At least for the ZX Spectrum, where we didn't have any other way to do it...

// Z
Check out my humble collection of old 'puters an such
http://www.zeela.se
Key-Quest
Vic 20 Drifter

Re: Do you load games from tape anymore?

Post by Key-Quest »

Jeff-20 wrote:When was the last time you loaded a game from tape? Do we still do this? I think I've been spoiled by disk drives and emulation.

Would you still be patient enough to load Blue Meanies from a tape and play it these days? I see a lot of tape collectors, but I really wonder if they play from those game tapes.
I play plenty of games from tape, especially Romik games. But then again, I'm an old-fashioned sentimental kind of guy.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

The last time I used a Datassette was in 1996--I was really into the VIC-20 at the time and I made a "mixed tape" of all the games that I made for that computer.

I posted a message on an Ottawa internet forum offerring copies for $2 and I had two responses :) Instead of requiring payment for it, I just gave them away for free.

Anyone here have a copy of it by chance?
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Is that a new version of Realms of Quest in your avatar, Ghislain?
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

Short answer: yes. I still load from tape.

I only lately got a "new" disk drive and I have been spoiled, but I am resisting the urge to depend on the disk drive, for many reasons stated in a much earlier "Why tapes are better than disks" thread.

At this point I am at 50-50 tape vs disk usage.

As yet, I am not using PC VIC or VICE.
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany