My latest flea market score: A CD32

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

PaulQ
undead vic

My latest flea market score: A CD32

Post by PaulQ »

I drooled over this when it first came out; it had so much potential. I never actually saw one outside of an advertisement here in my corner of Canada until recently at the local flea market.

I had to shell out $60 for everything, but it works beautifully so I think it was worth it. Came with everything you see in the picture.

Interestingly, it uses a black power supply "Brick" that looks just like the one used for the Commodore 64. Don't know if they're interchangeable or not.

Now I need to figure out how to burn CD's for it.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I would rather guess that the power supply is interchangable with other amigas...
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

I just spent half an hour writing an incredibly detailed response and my %@#$&!*! browser crashed. I now have two choices. Say to hell with it or spend twice as long trying to recreate the message.

[insert Jeopardy music]

What the hell. I'm stuck at home with a flu, I've got nothing else to do and I've given you a hard time in the past so I figure I owe you this. Here goes...

Congratulations on the nice find. New-in-box CD32s (there's a company sitting on a ton of old stock) generally sell for between $80 and $120 so $60 for a used one sounds about right. One thing though, that isn't a stock CD32 controller. It appears to be a Honey Bee CD32 Professional control pad. CD32 controllers look like this. What you've got there is basically a keyboard/mouse-less, floppy/hard disk-less Amiga. You can buy a 3rd party device that will allow you to connect those things to a CD32 but they're hard to find and as a result, expensive. On the other hand, it's quite easy and cheap to use the CD32 as a CD-ROM drive for the Amiga. Truth be told, that was what I used mine for most of the time. For the most part, CD32 games tend to be 'pumped-up' Amiga games with improved sound and sometimes, extra and/or enhanced graphics. There are a couple absolutely amazing games and because nature loves balance, there are quite a few that are complete shite and were released as cash grabs. I guess that's to be expected. Overall it's not a bad little system although it may end up being a gateway drug to an Amiga 1200.

There were 203 'official' releases for the CD32 and about 20 or so unsanctioned releases (that I know of.) You can find CD32 software for sale here and there on the web/eBay but I suspect you're more interested in a, uh, less expensive method of acquiring them. The best advice I can give you is to seek out TOSEC's "Commodore Amiga CD32 Collection". The current version is v0.05 and it's just under 10GB. It has everything you need. The downside is that it could take the rest of your natural life to download. I had a complete set (all 203) of CD32 software which I included when I sold my CD32 so I'll contact the friend that bought it and see if he is willing to copy some/all of it for me (read you.) That will be *way* easier than trying to create CD32 bootable discs from scratch (more on this later.) There are also a variety of games collections that were released over the years. CD32-100, CD32-200, CD32-350, CD32-444 and CD32-888 are the ones I'm aware of and the only one I ever tried was CD32-200. It was mostly Amiga games converted to run on the CD32 and since I had an actual Amiga, it was of little use to me. You might find them more useful.

Uh oh. It's later so I guess it's time to talk about burning CD32 discs on your PC. I warn you, doing so is non-trivial and can result in self-induced baldness. First off, you'll need CD burning software that supports the Rock Ridge format. Few programs do so that's where your grief begins. You'll also need a file called "CD32.TM" which can be found on the Amiga CD32 Developer Kit CD. Finding an image of that CD is a whack of grief unto itself. In case you're curious, the CD32.TM is the 'TradeMark' file that allows the CD32 to boot the CD you create. Oh yeah, you also need to have an Amiga emulator setup with Workbench 3.whatever and a disk image (.adf) of Workbench 1.3. If you manage to get all that in order I'll give you step-by-step instructions as to how you go about creating the actual disc. Man, what a hassle. Making CD32 discs is like dating an Irish woman. It can result in a lot of fun but you best prepare yourself for some grief. (Sorry if I've offended any Irish women or the men that love them. I've been there and lived to be bitter about it. Nevermind, it's the cough syrup talking here.)

Focus Golan, focus.

Right. There are many Denial-like Amiga communities on the web that might be of interest. The ones I particpate in are Amiga.org, Amigaworld.net, English Amiga Board and Lemon Amiga. And yes, I am forum junkie and I need professional help.

Last but not least, you might want to take a look at the CD32 FAQ. It's conceivable that it might contain some information I've forgotten to include in this encyclopedia. :)

Hope that helps. If you have any questions, feel free to post them here or drop me a PM. I'm going to pass out now.
Last edited by gklinger on Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Lots of great information there, Golan!

My thoughts on buying this were along the lines of having a relatively compact and tidy way to play my favourite old Amiga games. I have my A500 setup, but it takes up a serious amount of desk space. I'd like to pack it away into storage until such time arrives that I buy a bigger house and can have a proper "Computer museum" room in the basement (rather than the corner it currently occupies).

My goal at present is to find and then download a disk image of the CD32-200, CD32-888, etc., and then burn them to a CD-ROM. With an image, I ought to be able to burn directly to a CD-ROM with Nero in much the same way I used to burn install CD's for Alpha and Vax machines (after creating the ISO on the Alpha or Vax). I shouldn't have to worry about the format then, so long as I keep the original image intact.

To me, this has several advantages over an A1200. The biggest one is, once I have sourced those images, I'll have all the games I'll want conveniently stored on CD's. I can plug it directly into my TV. There is also a significant cost advantage (just try to find an A1200 for even twice what I paid for this).

I don't mean to poo-poo the A1200, but for the purposes of playing all the classic Amiga games, and given the availability of disk images available for download, this seems to me to be the best way to go. Perhaps one day in the future, as you suggested, I may decide to get an A1200 system up and running; in the meantime, space is at a premium. The CD32 along with hundreds of games can be safely tucked away under the bed when not in use, and I can set it up in a couple of minutes. Heck, I may even use it to replace the Sony Playstation.

If you could get me the disk images of the original 203 titles, I would be in your debt. This looks like it's going to be a lot of fun for me and my family.

Boray, as for the power connector, it is round like the one on the C64, while the Amiga's is square. I strongly suspect that it is, in fact, a C64 power supply; perhaps Commodore had a bunch of these to get rid of.
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

Yup you're forming a museum especially if you win the C16 you're bidding on ebay...don't forget to save for the multi-cart :P
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Centallica wrote:Yup you're forming a museum especially if you win the C16 you're bidding on ebay...don't forget to save for the multi-cart :P
I'm already setting aside some cash for the multicart. :D

As for the C16, it'd be nice to see what the Vic's intended replacement was like to program and use.

EDIT: Currently downloading cd32-200.iso; only five years left until I finally download the entire thing at 3.5 k/s. :? (actually 37 hours or so).
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

DigitalQuirk wrote: Boray, as for the power connector, it is round like the one on the C64, while the Amiga's is square. I strongly suspect that it is, in fact, a C64 power supply; perhaps Commodore had a bunch of these to get rid of.
Ah, ok... But Amigas and c64s don't take the same voltages. c64 takes 5v dc and 9 v ac while the amigas takes 5v and +12v and -12v.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

I was thinking today about how the CD32 and the Vic 20 serve as book ends to the Commodore home computer product line. The Vic 20 was released as a video game console that could be used as a computer with the addition of peripherals, and marked the beginning of Commodore's entry into the home computing and video game market. The CD32 is also a video game console that can be used as a computer with the addition of some extra hardware, and marks the end of Commodore as we know it. How appropriate is it, then, that the Vic 20 came in white, while the CD32 was black. Almost as though they were dressed for their occasions.
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

Boray wrote:But Amigas and c64s don't take the same voltages. c64 takes 5v dc and 9 v ac while the amigas takes 5v and +12v and -12v.
Correct. The CD32 takes 5v and 12v. The black power supply for the CD32 is 5 and 12 volts (does it say C65 on a sticker on the bottom of that supply?). I usually use a vented, high-powered supply for the CD32, because I don't trust that epoxied black brick (shades of C64 p.s.'s!).

CommVEx v3 info at http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex
or http://www.commodore.ca/forum
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

gklinger wrote:You can buy a 3rd party device that will allow you to connect those things to a CD32 but they're hard to find and as a result, expensive.
Yeah, the SX-1 or the SX-32 to make a CD32 into a full Amiga 1200.

CommVEx v3 info at http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex
or http://www.commodore.ca/forum
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug