Someone has these cart images ?

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I'll try to do all three over the weekend...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
davidv_
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by davidv_ »

nbla000 wrote:may i post these files in some place for all denial guys?
Hello. Ive been thinking a lot about this recently.

I think the new wiki is the chance for all to of us to contribute to a great unified archive. Ive got a few undumped tapes, box/instruction scans, and a few rom images different from the ones on zimmers and wherever i could find. (working Quick Brown Fox and Different NTSC UMI Skibbereen)

The current situation is this:

-Zimmers has bunch of stuff (heads and tails, and only categorized by ram reqs)

-Arma's tape archive is fantastic! And full of rare gems.

-GameBase Vic 2.0 has another wealth of stuff, but it would be hard to find out what exactly is unique to it.

My dream would be some kind of atariage-like database that anyone could edit, sort/find by companies, make links to similar dumps, different versions, different covers by wold regions, hacks, etc. And in EACH case, a "who dumped" "who contributed" field would be essential for certain people, so that their hard work is acknowledged.

The current wiki continues the cleavage between carts and tapes, and tapes are often second class citizens. Sad because the are lots of tapes that beat lots of crap carts out there.

I want to contribute, but i dont want to just send my stuff unorganized to one of the 3 or 4 different archives maintainers, then wait patiently for it to be available.

Anyone knows of a php database that could be attached to the wiki easily?
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

A while back I received a small program and instructions from Leo on how to dump out Vic20 carts. Now I've followed these through, and everything is fine until I type SYS673 to dump the cart. Then the disk drive light just keeps flashing as if it won't write to the disk.

Any thoughts or suggestions on possible issues? How else can I try dumping these out? I'll leave the stuff connected as long as I can (I'll be out this afternoon) and check back later today...
davidv_
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by davidv_ »

Dump block3

POKE45,0:POKE46,128
SAVE

For Block5 i use the UBER common cardco 3s this way:

1-insert rom in any slot with all "dips" on
2-turn on Vic to see if rom is working
3-turn off. turn dip off for block 5 for THAT slot (look manual)
4-turn on, (starts in basic) turn dip on for block 5 for THAT slot ( while its STILL ON)
5-type

SYS57809"MYROMDUMP",8,1:POKE193,0:POKE194,160
POKE780,193:POKE781,0:POKE782,192:SYS65496

Of course make sure theres enough room on the floppy (duh) .the only time i had flashing lights was because of that.
Last edited by davidv_ on Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

davidv_
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by davidv_ »

eslapion wrote:Which was published by Mike here: http://sleepingelephant.com/v-web/bulle ... php?t=1262

:wink:
True, but i added "total dummy steps" since the original post was not obvious enough for newbies in rom hacking .. like me since i had to learn the cardco's functions too.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I'll give those instructions a go David... the cart slot thingy I have actually allows you to disable/enable blocks 3 and 5 individually (good huh?) for the slot in question.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Okay I've tried dumping out all three using the instructions above. The results so far are:

Frogman - seems to crash immediately on boot. Probably need someone to go in and change a byte or two to stop this happening. Or it's Vice. But I'd like it naturally to be playable in emulation too.

Mobile Attack - boots fine but randomly crashes during play. Likewise someone might need to investigate it. Or could be another Vice problem.

Key Quest - seems to boot and play fine, no crashing. Tried the first couple of levels.

I'm not going to make them available just yet... oh the looks on your faces heh. Would you prefer someone to work on them and then make them available, or just me post them here for anyone to try and get them functional?

I'll also see about scanning the instruction sheet for Key Quest... oh yes, it's not just the cart I own :D
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Mayhem wrote:Okay I've tried dumping out all three using the instructions above. The results so far are:

Frogman - seems to crash immediately on boot. Probably need someone to go in and change a byte or two to stop this happening. Or it's Vice. But I'd like it naturally to be playable in emulation too.

Mobile Attack - boots fine but randomly crashes during play. Likewise someone might need to investigate it. Or could be another Vice problem.

Key Quest - seems to boot and play fine, no crashing. Tried the first couple of levels.
Try to load cart images on real-hardware or if you want i may give a look/test on real hardware.
davidv_ wrote:I think the new wiki is the chance for all to of us to contribute to a great unified archive. Ive got a few undumped tapes, box/instruction scans, and a few rom images different from the ones on zimmers and wherever i could find. (working Quick Brown Fox and Different NTSC UMI Skibbereen)
I've updated the cart list of the WIKI and a place where to put all these rom with a database (publisher/category/years/System/etc) was wonderful.
eslapion wrote:Mobile Attack...
The version I have is a real dump made in the early 80s.
Eslapion, since it's your original dump i wish to ask you if i may post my fixed versions for all Denial Members ?
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I've still got the disk with the dumps on (didn't format it yet), how do I load them to boot onto a real Vic20? :)
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Mayhem wrote:I've still got the disk with the dumps on (didn't format it yet), how do I load them to boot onto a real Vic20? :)
Assuming that they are 8k carts, plug a memory expansion with 8k on /BLK5 (you may use a standard 8k CBM expansion changing inside switch 1 to on and other to off)

Code: Select all

LOAD "FILENAME",X,1
SYS64802
where X is the drive number (1 for tape and typically 8 for disk drive)
Last edited by nbla000 on Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

nbla000 wrote:
eslapion wrote:Mobile Attack...
The version I have is a real dump made in the early 80s.
Eslapion, since it's your original dump i wish to ask you if i may post my fixed versions for all Denial Members ?
Of course, no problem.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

eslapion wrote:
nbla000 wrote:Eslapion, since it's your original dump i wish to ask you if i may post my fixed versions for all Denial Members ?
Of course, no problem.
Ok thanks, here there are files:
- Mobile Attack (original rom image for /BLK5 that doesn't work in RAM)
- Mobile Attack Fixed (fixed rom image for /BLK5 that works in RAM)

PS: Mayhem, you may check the CRC32 of the original rom image with your dump file to check if is identical.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Hmm doesn't look like I have an expansion with 8k on block 5... guess I'll post the dumps here so people can try it on real Vic20s and see if the crashing is due to the dumps (hence the cartridge hardware does something funky) or it's Vice...
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Mayhem wrote:Hmm doesn't look like I have an expansion with 8k on block 5... guess I'll post the dumps here so people can try it on real Vic20s and see if the crashing is due to the dumps (hence the cartridge hardware does something funky) or it's Vice...
You need a simply standard commodore 8k expansion [Vic-1110] in any case you may send me the files to check.