ultra rare Commodore Plus/4 for sale - DEFECTIVE!

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

I don't think anyone could blame eslapion to sell this computer for $100 if someone offered it. It's money, and I know sure as heck that I wouldn't turn down such an offer. While it did appear as though eslapion was trying to start a bidding war, I honestly think that english isn't his first language, so perhaps something got mixed up in the translation. I work with english-speaking Frenchmen from Quebec every day, and while their English is much, much better than my French, they have been known to make similar errors in their translation from French to English which is often the source of humor. Perhaps what he really meant to say was,

"I had received messages from a great number of people wanting this computer. Since I only have one computer like this, I thought the only fair thing was to sell it to the gentleman who offered to give me $100 for it. I didn't mean to start a bidding war, but it appears as though this computer is more rare than some people thought! Naturally, this means that I wouldn't turn down any higher offers just yet, since the transaction is not yet quite complete. :wink: Just kidding! I will let you know if it falls through, however."

In any case, I tend to agree with Eslapion about the rarity of a Commodore Plus/4 around here. I only ever saw one once in my life. I think the Commodore 64 killed Plus/4 sales here in Canada, which really was Commodore 64 land for quite a while.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

DigitalQuirk wrote:... Perhaps what he really meant to say was,

"I had received messages from a great number of people wanting this computer. Since I only have one computer like this, I thought the only fair thing was to sell it to the gentleman who offered to give me $100 for it.
Unfortunately no. What I meant to say was, this is a first come first serve offer. After receiving a couple of insulting messages that were certainly not offers, the very FIRST real offer I received via PM was this one for 100$. However, yes, if this deals turns out not to work, I will consider other offers in the order in which I have received them.

The sentence in which I asked if sjgray was willing to beat this offer was in fact a joke. And I should have made that clearer. I never expected to be offered 100$ for the Plus/4 and I tought people would find it "entertaining" that somebody offered so much.
In any case, I tend to agree with Eslapion about the rarity of a Commodore Plus/4 around here. I only ever saw one once in my life. I think the Commodore 64 killed Plus/4 sales here in Canada, which really was Commodore 64 land for quite a while.
Thank you.
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

Glad the machine found a home..

I just bought a Plus/4 from the US for $25, paying about $55 for postage. Two weeks later the guy hasn't actually sent the thing, some email about needing to 'test' it and not having a TV.. hmm.. well let's hope it works out.

But, that was the cheapest option for me to get a Plus/4 at the time, as while I owned a few in Australia back in the day, I haven't seen one on ebay from Australia at all.

Plus, the comment about 'smoke in the chips' is pretty damn accurate. These things just don't seem to have the same durability as the other Commodores. They tend to stop working over time, in particular the RAM..

Hence I was 'sort of' (only sort of because of postage costs to Australia) interested in it for spares, but jeez - for $100, you've gotta take the money.

-G
3^4 is 81.0000001
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

eslapion wrote: Unfortunately no. What I meant to say was, this is a first come first serve offer. After receiving a couple of insulting messages that were certainly not offers, the very FIRST real offer I received via PM was this one for 100$. However, yes, if this deals turns out not to work, I will consider other offers in the order in which I have received them.
Well, for the record, I wouldn't have faulted you even if it was the 50th e-mail you received where the guy offered you $100 and you went for it. I mean, it's a hundred bucks. You aren't going to retire on it, but most people have to work pretty hard to earn it; from what you've gone through in trying to practically give this Plus/4 away, I honestly think you've EARNED every penny of it.

For the record, I think you were pressured to come up with a low-ball price of $5 from some of the members of Lemon. Talk is cheap, and you don't owe anyone here or at Lemon anything. Frankly, I would ignore much of the negative things people have to say on a web forum because I think all they're looking for is to get a rise out of you and/or others.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Victragic wrote:Glad the machine found a home..
That is what is important here.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Doppleganger
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by Doppleganger »

I don't think I paid anything for any of the Vic-20's or Plus/4's I have. Hm... if I did, it couldn't have been much.

I guess I'm jaded from getting so much free hardware that it's tough for me to drop a lot of cash on it...
-Jay
Vic-20 User Since 1982'ish.