I really want a $100 Laptop

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

I really want a $100 Laptop

Post by Jeff-20 »

I really want one of those OLPC laptops! This is going to be the coolest collectors item. I just wish they were commercially available. I just wanted to make a note of that.

http://laptop.org/laptop/hardware/specs.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XO_laptop
They indicated they could ship 5 million to 10 million units this year because seven nations have committed to buy the XO-1 for their schoolchildren, including Argentina, Brazil, Libya, Nigeria, Rwanda, Thailand and Uruguay.

The OLPC project has stated that a consumer version of the XO laptop is not planned.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Bacon
for breakfast

Re: I really want a $100 Laptop

Post by Bacon »

Jeff-20 wrote:I really want one of those OLPC laptops! This is going to be the coolest collectors item. I just wish they were commercially available. I just wanted to make a note of that.
Yeah, I've wanted one of those since I first heard of the project because they're just so nerdalicious :)

I was hoping they'd sell them commercially for a slightly higher price. If the profit went back into the project, buying one could be a good way to support something as commendable as this.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

The OLPC foundation has continually dismissed the idea of selling (individual) XO units to first world consumers even under the altruistic 1-for-2 plan. Under that plan, first world consumers could buy an XO for a price equal to the cost of two units. They would receive one and the other would go to a child in a developing nation. I especially liked that under the plan, the purchaser and the recipient would become ePen/eMail pals. I feel like the OLPC foundation missed out on an excellent opportunity to further the project and build social connections that are every bit as valuable to the developing world as the computers themselves. Rest assured that one way or another, they're going to be available to pretty much anyone that wants one. It's inevitable. The sooner the powers that be accept that, the better off they'll be.

If you're curious about the OS and want to try it out, let me know and I'll post information on how you can go about doing that on your PC. Personally, a lot of my excitement about the OLPC project is because the user environment, called Sugar, is written in Python which is by far my favorite programming language. I'm looking forward to writing some kid-friendly software for the XO. I have an idea for a simple but colourful game that will teach arithmetic and require a cooperative effort to 'win'. It's perfect for the XO.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

Anything that helps the '3rd world' get up to speed with technology has to be a good thing.

And hopefully the companies will set up factories in the countries they are selling these machines to, to further stimulate their economies. And encourage software development in the destination countries too.

The geek in me especially liked the idea of the crank that charged the battery, but I understand they aborted that idea some time ago..

Where's my 10 hour-battery laptop that requires no fan? (Apart from my PalmPilot, which is hardly practical..) I'd trade speed, resolution and storage space for that anyday. Sometimes less is more.

-G

As an after thought, they just have to sell the things in other countries.. otherwise the machines will just get stolen from the kids and sold on the black markets to nerds like us who want one.. and that would really suck.
3^4 is 81.0000001
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Honestly, I think that this laptop is what happens when you look at a 3rd world country through rose-coloured 1st world country glasses. At first, I thought it was a great idea; then I realized, where is that 3rd world child going to plug this thing in to charge it up? In any case, the point is moot. These kids need to learn skills like how to organize themselves and their peers, basic construction and building techniques using locally sourced resources, plumbing, agriculture...fundamentals that don't require a computer. Unless the objective is to force our culture and religious beliefs onto them; then this computer is an excellent idea. What better way to make them believe in your god than to show them some magical hocus-pocus on a little computer?

In any case, I thought it'd be a far better idea to make these computers freely available to underprivileged and impoverished children living right here in North America. We're all so eager to "Help out" a 3rd world country, preaching to them how much better our way of life is, when we have our own poor right here at home who would benefit far more from something like this.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I'm slowly backing away from the politics of this issue. I just think the machine is interesting... I'd love to play with one.
Victragic wrote:Where's my 10 hour-battery laptop that requires no fan? (Apart from my PalmPilot, which is hardly practical..) I'd trade speed, resolution and storage space for that anyday. Sometimes less is more.
You need an NEC MobilePro. I swear by mine. No hard drive. Instant on. 12 hours without charging. And it runs Word, Excel, etc.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Technically, I agree. It really is a cool machine. However, as Golan alluded to, the whole project seems to be wrapped up in politics.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Victragic wrote:The geek in me especially liked the idea of the crank that charged the battery, but I understand they aborted that idea some time ago..
Yes and no. The final design doesn't have a hand-crank on it but there is a separate device that can be used to charge the XO's battery. You plug it into the XO and 10 pulls on the cord gives you about 15 minutes of use. Externalizing the device reduced costs by eliminating a moving part and made it possible to share such a device with multiple computers.
As an after thought, they just have to sell the things in other countries.. otherwise the machines will just get stolen from the kids and sold on the black markets to nerds like us who want one.. and that would really suck.
The possibility of theft was taken into consideration. Without going into too much unnecessary detail, a stolen XO or one that has fallen into the wrong hands can be 'bricked' remotely. The method used to reverse that process is a closely guarded secret. If the XO is ever sold to the public, it will NOT be available in the distinctive green. The theory being that someone with a green one is most likely in possession of stolen goods and it's somewhat obvious.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

The XOs are distributed to schools as part of a package that includes the notebooks, a server, a satellite uplink/downlink device to facilitate Internet connectivity and, if necessary, the equipment required to generate the needed electricity (usually using solar power, BTW.) There is also the autonomous power generating method I described in my previous post. Also, these aren't restricted to third world nations. The governments of the first world are welcome to purchase the XO for the children of their nations. All are welcome.

I'm never surprised and always dismayed when people trot out the tired and poorly thought out "they don't need computers, they need xyz" argument. The OLPC project was created to facilitate the distribution of affordable computers to the children of the third world to encourage education and communication because doing so has proven to be an effective counter to poverty. Giving someone a fish feeds them for a day, teaching them to fish feeds them for a lifetime. There are many other programs working on meeting other needs of those in the third world. Rather than criticizing the goals os projects you think frivolous, why not make efforts to encourage those projects you think are worthy? The question is semi-rhetorical because many in the first world would rather criticize those doing something than actually doing something themselves.

It's obvious that people are drawing conclusions about the project without first educating themselves as to the specifics of the project. Pity. Anyway, I'm going to drop this because this thread was started to discuss the technology rather than the politics behind the OLPC/XO.
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

Jeff-20 wrote:You need an NEC MobilePro. I swear by mine. No hard drive. Instant on. 12 hours without charging. And it runs Word, Excel, etc.
Do you have the 900 model or is there another one? What's it like to type on? I like the concept.

-G
3^4 is 81.0000001
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Of course, I find the term"Third World" insulting, but projects like this will help us realize that national borders don't really exist in any real sense. A fact that will eventually hit us hard.
Victragic wrote:Do you have the 900 model or is there another one? What's it like to type on? I like the concept.
I have a simple 780 with a lot of great freeware. The 900 would be wonderful, but I don't need that much. I only need to type ideas on the fly. The keyboard is wonderful for that! I really got use to using a touch screen over a mouse. I find myself touching the monitor on other computers now and then because it is far more intuitive.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

I just think it's arrogant of us to think that computers are the answer. Around the world, and even in sub-cultures within our own, there are those who have no use for a computer and thrive quite well, developing and maintaining their own cultural values while everyone is kept well-fed and clothed, with homes and a sense of community. We tend to look down at these cultures, as though they're inferior to our own; yet spend time to get to know these people, and one is convinced that maybe their way is better.

Sadly, the way we seem to be "Helping" is by shoving our own culture and beliefs down their throats. The old cliche about giving and teaching a man about fish is often applied; however, giving them a computer isn't teaching them to fish. Teaching them to FISH is teaching them to fish; giving them a computer is like teaching them how to use a typewriter and has absolutely nothing to do with fish or fishing.

I, too, will divert from this thread and back to the technical aspects; I only wish to sow the seeds of discontent and get people thinking that there are alternatives to our way of life, and some of those alternatives may be better for some people. Who are we to say that a country is 3rd world and the people are impoverished? Perhaps it's our meddling that has caused this state of affairs. In any case, cool machine. I'm positive if there's a market for it, someone somewhere will deliver it. Quite probably manufactured from a facility located in China where the government is easily bought off. Oops, better stop now; that's another big ole can of worms that is best left closed.
:wink:
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Respectfully, I will add: At the risk of playing into the "othering" of this kind of talk, I think "they" know how to fish. I think the problem is a little more complicated from the perspective of the them. I have family still in such circumstances (in Africa and North America) who might acknowledge but just as soon not discuss the centuries of human effort that has gone into creating such a dis-balanced world. But I guess things like biological epidemics (much more quickly than economic ripples) are teaching us (them included) that we live in a smaller world than we think. Pretty soon, all around the world, the word "we" might be more commonly heard over "us" and "them".
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I too think the computer is cool. I think it should be available to anyone, but unfortunately it scares the big laptop makers too much for a free market in this type of computer to be allowed.

In the end, I'm of the same opinion as DigitalQuirk. I initally thought it was a great idea, but now am a little soured on it. Smacks a bit of a drug pusher visiting a schoolyard and giving out free samples of his product. Does having more and more technology in our lived necessarily make them better? Sure in some ways, but not as a blanket rule.

Sadly, I think Microsoft has stopped fighting this project and now is trying to find a way to get a special version of its Windows software bundled/installed on the machines.
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

Decided to withdraw my earlier post - I don't want to get drawn into politics either..

Technology-wise, perhaps what I want is something like a MobilePro but with an even larger near full-size screen and keyboard. I've used Windows CE and think it's okay, though open-source would obviously be nicer. I'd sacrifice touchscreen I guess, keep my PDA for that instead.

The colour 900 though, when you bring it up to specs like the XO (using wireless etc..), only gives about 3.5 hours working time (according to a tech review I read) and that's with a much smaller screen.. earlier models in mono give much better battery life but I'm not sure I could go back to monochrome after all these years..

So yes, I'd probably go for an XO or it's cousin if it was available.. unless they decided to 'beef it up' too much for our markets..

-G
3^4 is 81.0000001