Tetris (Alternate & Deluxe Version)

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

nbla000
Salmon Run

Tetris (Alternate & Deluxe Version)

Post by nbla000 »

For all guys like me that love this game, i've done an alternate version of Tetris starting from nippur72 sources.

Thank's to Nippur72 for his original version and to allow me to post this alternate version.

Here a full? list of differences:
- Keys are not customizable (i've used routine space for other funcions)
- Control by Joystick or keys ( J K L M, spaces drop pieces)
- When you go down the piece go quickly down but doesn't drop.
- You may select Level 10 as start Level
- By default Wall is off
- The wall is no more random using letters but there is a fixed wall for each level
- Added Hi Score
- Color pieces changed like Atari arcade version except for Z: I red, J yellow, L magenta, O blue, S cyan, T green. Z white instead of orange
- Pieces Graphic is a little bit rounded.
- Modified Tetris Score respecting Arcade proportions
- Game is a little bit fast
- The Tetris logo go down instead of up :wink:
- May be other minor changes

There are 2 version, file and cartridge image:
Download the file version here
Download the cartridge image for bank 5 $a000 here *** REMOVED use the Deluxe version, see below

PS: I wish to realise a 3k / cartridge version with music, i need someone that may write a russian style melody for vic, i've an XM file that nippur given me some times ago but i never written music for Vic. I may offer glory and your name on the main title screen MUSIC BY: YOUR NAME 8)
Last edited by nbla000 on Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

If there was an user friendly vic music program, I would have made a tune for you...
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Nippur72 suggested me to use MilkyTracker for Windows and give me a file "tetrisgb.xm" but at the moment nippur72 it's very busy and i don't know how to convert MilkyTracker file for a Vic-20, i don't know if it's possible too, may be carlsson has some tool, if someone is interested i may send files in pm.
d0c
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by d0c »

Boray wrote:If there was an user friendly vic music program, I would have made a tune for you...
you got two for the vic20, download..

Vic Duzz' It v1.0
Vic-Tracker 2.0

if your familar with soundtracker on the amiga this shouldnt be to hard to use...
1983 vic20 & 3k-16k ram expansion....
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I'm not sure if I ever gave "Vic Duzz' It" a serious attempt, but when I tried "Sid Duzz 'It", I understood virtually nothing, and I'm a semi-decent user of tracker software.

nbla, you can send me the XM module on my email. I found some MOD version of the Gameboy Tetris music. I suppose this is the tune you want:

http://www.anders.sfks.se/mp3/tetrisgb.mp3
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

carlsson wrote:nbla, you can send me the XM module on my email. I found some MOD version of the Gameboy Tetris music. I suppose this is the tune you want: http://www.anders.sfks.se/mp3/tetrisgb.mp3
Yes good tune, here you may download the "tetrisgb.xm" file, my idea was a title screen music and if possible a play music if not annoying.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Ok, I'll see if I have time to do something.
Anders Carlsson

carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Gameboy Tetris: MP3 or PRG.

I'm not happy about the percussion, but the original XM file seemed to have this type of lame drums? By the way, it was a nightmare to convert a XM module to those formats I like to work with:

1. There does not seem to exist a single XM to MOD converter on the Internet. Neither for X86 PC nor for 68K Amiga. In the end, I downloaded FastTracker 2 and saved as MOD from there, which broke the samples that I didn't need anyway.

2. I found one XM to MED converter though. It generates a file to be loaded in OctaMED SoundStudio, which is freeware, but on my Amiga I only have OctaMED 5 installed. I would have to shuffle a few disk images of ADF files in order to install Sound Studio. Maybe some other time.

I'll supply nbla with source files for inclusion later. Except for the drums, I think it is a somewhat faithful conversion. I made a few small changes in harmonies and transposed from F minor to A minor, which is one of the keys that sound best on VIC-20 (at least PAL, not sure about NTSC note tables).
Anders Carlsson

MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MacbthPSW »

Pretty cool! :)
carlsson wrote:I'm not happy about the percussion, but the original XM file seemed to have this type of lame drums?
They sound about right to me. I was about to pull out a Game Boy and Tetris to have a listen to it on the real thing, and then realized that just this morning I sent both my copies of GB Tetris (along with a bunch of other games and 3 different models of GB hardware) with my kids on a 10 day road trip they're taking with my wife and mother-in-law.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I suppose one can download ROM images from some warez site.

The rhythm in the high hat sounds a little uneven:
h... h... hh.. h... h... h... h.h. h...

I like this quite basic rhythm more:
b.h. s.h. b.h. s.h. b.h. s.h. b.h. s.h.
b.h. s.h. b.h. s.h. b.h. s.h. b.hb s.h.

I just realized with a bit of coding effort, I can make my music player change tempo while playing. It kind of works already today, but the music gets a bit screwed up. It may come in handy for a Tetris game, where I believe music in the original speeds up slowly the longer you play?
Anders Carlsson

nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

carlsson wrote: Gameboy Tetris: MP3 or PRG.
Very good work :shock:
you are simple the best Vic musician of the world!!!
i hope that Boray doesn't read this post....
carlsson wrote: I'll supply nbla with source files for inclusion later.
Thank you, as soon as i receive sources i assemble your work with Tetris for a 3k and cart version.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

No, there are other VIC musicians who at least technically are more advanced. I'm quite mediocre at composing, but do well with arranging existing tunes, if I should brag about what I think I do best.

I found another MOD version of the Gameboy Tetris tune. It is slightly different. I will investigate and perhaps by Thursday be able to publish a final version with sources. Did you want one or two tunes by the way? Maybe the same tune can play very slow, suggestive on the opening screen and ingame in tempo.
Anders Carlsson

nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

carlsson wrote:Did you want one or two tunes by the way? Maybe the same tune can play very slow, suggestive on the opening screen and ingame in tempo.
Two is better then one :wink:
Your idea of title tune played slowly it's good but since i want to made a 3k version too take care of total bytes, it's possible with same data to play tune in normal or slow mode or you need 2 different data sets ?
d0c
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by d0c »

what program did you use to make this tetris song on the vic20?
1983 vic20 & 3k-16k ram expansion....
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Yes, it is just a matter of changing one byte in the music data (can be done at run-time) to change the tempo.

I used my own player routine and cross-developing tools. No special VIC-20 music program. As a matter of fact I use a modified version of DASM as well, but I should adopt my music data so it assembles with standard versions of DASM.
Anders Carlsson