PS3 is here :)

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Mikam73
2049er

PS3 is here :)

Post by Mikam73 »

I did pick up PS3 today morning when it was released at Europe.

First I had to update, then I had to register, then I did download demos, in the middle I tryed help cure cancer with Folding@home..

http://folding.stanford.edu/ I think that it is lot more important than things like Seti Home etc. And everyone can join it with PC too.

I havent played yet at all.. What has happend to game consoles.. Before I did just insert cartridge or cd/dvd and start playing..

Oh.. Good old retrotimes.. 8)
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Hmmmm.....maybe I should think about finally getting a PS1 sometime......naaah!

Good work on that folding thing though. I read an article on it and it sounds like a wonderful effort.
MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MacbthPSW »

I finally got a PS1 a year or two ago. I still haven't found any games I like much for it yet, though I admit I haven't tried too much.

I'll probably get a PS2 sometime this year, as I already own a couple games for it I want to play, but I have no console.

PS3? If I ever get one, it'll be after I get a Wii, and now I'm even interested in an XBox 360 first because of the XNA Game Studio Express and Torque X.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

I'm not bored of my Colecovision yet. I'll upgrade later.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

You live in the wrong country Mika...! :shock:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6474045.stm

(read fourth paragraph... we couldn't believe it this morning)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
d0c
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by d0c »

i know two games that kick seriouse butt on the ps1 you will not find any like them on other consoles....

colin mcrae rally 1:
include driving school! only driving game where your coling screams "your gonna kill us" if you drive bad in the driving school, this is also the only rally game with a driving school. it got great race tracks and are one of the best rally game ever released..

skull monkeys:
the whola game is done in clay, have alot of humour and a great story, its a jump & run game.

other great titles that is worth trying...
medievil,metal gear+special mission,wipeout,toca,odd worlds-abes exodus,thrill kill,grandia,tomb raider,spyro the dragon....

there are alot more but these just popped to mind, i got a psone with chip and downed nearly 800 games for it, to test out whats out there... i bought the one i wanted and leaved the rest thats not worth it...

this is a long time ago but i learned one thing its better to buy a consol on its last year or month, then you can grab the best version with modchip and download the games and buy the stuff you want from the barginbin.....

people can praise the new consoles as much they want i am stil enjoying the last gen and it cost me very little...
1983 vic20 & 3k-16k ram expansion....
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I have a playstation one for two reasons only:

1. Nectaris. I prefer the version I have for PC Engine better, but this is an exact port with many more maps.

2. Metal Gear Solid. I never play the story mode because I just cannot bear the teen-age-boy-corny-chessy-ness, but the practice missions are really fun and easy to get into.

The ps3 looks boring to me, and the wii has given me no reason yet to replace my gamecube.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

One day, Bill Shatner asked me, "Why buy just a game machine?" He helped me to see the light.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

i miss consoles that only use cartridges.
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Free 46" television? I cant believe my eyes..
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Ok, I finally got one too. :-D Yawn. I miss cartridges. Modern consoles take too long to get to the game. It takes an hour to download a demo, ten minutes to install the demo, ten more minutes to install the updates to said demo, five minutes of production company logos, and then I have to sit through a story introduction. By the time I can interact with the game, I've lost interest...
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

I always wondered who would buy a console a week before its replacement was released :)
Did you get it cheap?
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

No, not really. It was free with my bank's "reward points" for spending. I could have spent those points on something more useful, but I was just curious about the newer gaming generation. I got suckered into buying a hard drive and three titles for it too. I thought the games would be cheaper. They are not, so I'm mostly just playing demos. :lol:
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Looking forward to PS4. 8)

I use PS3 for its Blue Ray, NetFlix client, and other built-in multimedia players (local and wifi streaming)... there are some good games for us older folk (the bowling game you can buy online is great fun / realistic physics with the motion controllers). I got the original way back when, so it plays all my PS and PS2 titles and protected that investment for a few more years.

The rest of the titles I buy are for visiting nephews and nieces mostly, looking to play their gen of games instead of the huge retro collection I got. I can't blame them, really, but these new gen games are a bit drab with all the bloat you describe that comes along for the ride.

My other set top is a Sony GoggleTV which was inexpensive to do all those things except play PS games, with Chrome and Android app playing, at half the price.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Jeff-20 wrote:No, not really. It was free with my bank's "reward points" for spending. I could have spent those points on something more useful, but I was just curious about the newer gaming generation. I got suckered into buying a hard drive and three titles for it too. I thought the games would be cheaper. They are not, so I'm mostly just playing demos. :lol:

PS4.... next month so maybe PS3 games will be cheaper.

Anything older than 3-4 months ends up on sale half price or on preowned in UK.

Everything seems to be a variant of Call of Duty or Quake.

Some of the best games are the small Playstation Network games.

Try Journey demo - unusual

Try Flower demo - very arty, pretty

Try Flow demo - underwater bugs eat bigger bugs, like a slow version of snake

Try Duck game demo - good fun with motion controller

Try Lego Demos - good cooperative play
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready