VIC-20 with "PET style" keyboard

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

wiskow
Vic 20 Devotee

VIC-20 with "PET style" keyboard

Post by wiskow »

A VIC-20 with "PET style" keyboard just went up for auction on eBay. Looks like it has a few cartridges, some cassettes, a datasette, and a joystick, too. Just thought y'all might like to know...

Of course... it could be stolen. :roll:

-Andrew
http://hometown.aol.com/cottonwoodbbs
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Re: VIC-20 with "PET style" keyboard

Post by gklinger »

wiskow wrote:Of course... it could be stolen. :roll:
Haha! Good one.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
stonan
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by stonan »

Here's one german VC 20 with "PET style" keyboard and a very low serialnumber http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0102570141
Pity about the yellowed case :roll:
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

stonan wrote:Here's one german VC 20 with "PET style" keyboard and a very low serialnumber http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0102570141
Pity about the yellowed case :roll:
The case of that VC20 has not yellowed. This is a common effect of the flash.

Yellowing rarely occurs evenly like that and VICs (or VC-20s) with PET style keyboards didn't have the fire retardant that causes yellowing.

I have so many times received questions on eBay from people asking about the "yellowing" of my items while they looked exactly like new.

Since then I have learned to use a longer exposure with fluorescent lighting instead of the flash when taking pictures when selling commodore equipment.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

By the way, today I saw one of the worst scruffed VIC cases ever. It practically begged to be repainted, or at least take a long, hot bath in some detergent. I didn't bring it with me home.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

snob.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

:D I brought another VIC in parts though, one that both was booting up properly and looked to be in average condition. Some keys were stuck, so I'll spend some time to fix that later. I really wanted to bring one of the home made VIC-20SK (separate keyboard), but I didn't find any matching keyboard, just units with motherboard and a DB connector. I understand it is relatively simple to make your own VIC-20SK (or perhaps VIC-20T for Tower) if you really wish.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
wiskow
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by wiskow »

eslapion wrote:The case of that VC20 has not yellowed. This is a common effect of the flash.
Uhh... If you look at the item description for that one, the seller lists the condition as: "Used, 100% functional! Case yellowed."

-Andrew
syntaxerror64
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by syntaxerror64 »

Is the PET style keyboard on a VIC rare?
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

syntaxerror64 wrote:Is the PET style keyboard on a VIC rare?
It is but in fact a good couple of them were for sale at the WOC back in early december in Toronto and nobody wanted them...
syntaxerror64
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by syntaxerror64 »

eslapion wrote:It is but in fact a good couple of them were for sale at the WOC back in early december in Toronto and nobody wanted them...
Regardless, that's pretty cool though because my VIC-20 just happens to have one.

PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

To be honest, the PET style keyboard wasn't all that great to use; the replacement they came up with was a great improvement. I think the PET style keyboard only appeals to collectors who are looking for something very unique.
Alan
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Alan »

I'll agree with that. I have a very early VIC with a PET keyboard, and it's pretty miserable to type on. The later version, though not as cool, is a lot more pleasant to use.
Alan
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

syntaxerror64 wrote:
eslapion wrote:It is but in fact a good couple of them were for sale at the WOC back in early december in Toronto and nobody wanted them...
Regardless, that's pretty cool though because my VIC-20 just happens to have one.
Welcome to the club!

However, the invitation more or less imposed on my screen when I cliked on your image to play PartyPoker is highly unnappreciated...
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I have a PET keyboard VIC-20 too. I love this style, because the PET was the first computer I ever used, and so this keyboard brings back memories. However, my everyday use VIC has the next type of keyboard, with the thin letters and the slight concavity to the keytops. More comfortable for sure.