I strongly suspect the sun is bleaching my VIC-20.

Discuss anything related to the VIC
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

I strongly suspect the sun is bleaching my VIC-20.

Post by ral-clan »

Hi, we had a discussion here a few months ago about VIC-20s being yellowed by UV light. However, I am pretty sure the sun is doing the opposite to my VIC.

I have my VIC in an upstairs porch with large windows all around, so it gets a fair amount of light. It seems pretty white to me after several years there.

Also, there is a tiny part of the VIC's case that is hidden under a "lip" made by a window sill. When I pulled the VIC-20 out I could swear that this part of the casing is slightly more yellow than the rest of the VIC. In fact, the very subtle yellowing starts on a defined line that would be exactly where the sill is casting a shadow.

The brown keys on my VIC do not seem to be affected at all.

The other thing that has me wondering about bleaching, is that we have these very old plastic shades on all the windows. They are made to look like bamboo/rattan blinds, but are actually made of a plastic "drinking straw like" material.

Each blind is slightly larger than the window. Where the sun came through and hit these blinds, there is a VERY obvious lighter square (the colour was bleached?) whereas the parts of the blind that went beyond the window's borders and were in shade are very yellowed and darker.

:?

If I had a broken VIC with a smashed case I would put the plastic shell outside this summer with half of it covered and the other exposed to the sun. Anyone want to try this experiment and post results?
Last edited by ral-clan on Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I think we should commission such a test, but did all VIC production runs use the same exact materials/plastic?
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I think really old machines stands the sun better than newer ones... Is your vic-20 the old or new model?
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

My 1982 vic-20 has not been yellowed at all, while the datasette that came with it has been yellowed.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Interesting idea. Maybe I should put a broken VIC on my balcony in the summer and cover half of it with a newspaper or something similar. However the plastic may be so old that sun bleaching or yellowing doesn't "take" any more?

One could also put on sunshield and see if it protects the plastic in any way, or perhaps creates a reaction, scorching the plastic. :-D
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

My VIC is an early model 2-prong with the brass sticker, made in Canada. But not early enough to have PET keys. It has keys similar to the first C64s (narrow letters). Anyway, if it is true that my VIC has been bleached by the sun then it is good news for some of us.

I have one VIC in my "spares" collection that is extremely yellow. It is a later model with the "rainbow" sticker....but I think it is still a 2-prong model.

If anyone does a test this summer, they could use duct tape and a couple layers of garbage bags to cover half the shell really well, then stick it in their garden or something!
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Take a look at this one:
http://www.tradera.com/auction/AMIGA___ ... d_41282580

hmmmmm.....
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Whoah, that is wierd. I wonder if some of the keys have been replaced or were just made from a different batch of plastic in the factory.

As for the big chunk out of the side. A few months ago I received an AtariSoft BattleZone cartridge for the VIC. Unfortunately it has a MS. PACMAN circuit board in it (mis-labelled). I decided to open it up to see what was going on. Even though I was very gentle in flexing the cartridge to open it up, it totally shattered and fell apart in my hands. The plastic was extremely brittle from age....there was no flex left in it at all.

I would never turn down a cheap Amiga even if it were yellowed, though! I like a nice white system, but yellowing doesn't bother me enough to reject it.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

That reminds me of when my A500 started to yellow after having owned it for around 5 years. I thought it was just dirty, so I disassembled it and gave the case a bath. I scrubbed it with a scotch brite pad; to no avail. While it was certainly much cleaner when I reassembled it, I was dismayed at the yellowed look.

That's the nice thing about the Commodore 64; because of all the brown used in its colour, the yellowing isn't noticeable.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

579 SEK = 96 CAD (83 USD). Dunno if you consider this cheap.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image