Did anyone catch the big battle on Ebay? (Polaris)

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Did anyone catch the big battle on Ebay? (Polaris)

Post by Jeff-20 »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

I really wanted it, but I decided not to bid this morning. With four hours remaining, there was only one bid. I knew the snipers were hiding. So, do you think this is a reasonable price? I thought it was a little inflated, or at least, much more than I would want to spend. Eventhough, it is sooooo pretty!
Keir
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Keir »

I think it is worth more than I bid on it, but the end price does seem high to me. At least I was the high bidder for a whopping 12 minutes! :roll:
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Weird. I was sure I posted a response in this thread. I must be losing it.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
C2N
Vic 20 Drifter

C-64 Hard Drive.

Post by C2N »

G'day,
Today on Aussie eBay, someone bought a C-64 hard drive for $500 Buy It Now! I thought the seller was dreaming asking for that much. Boy, was I wrong! Anyone else know of retro items that sold for way more than they imagined?
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Considering I've seen complete Polaris copies sell for less than $20 on eBay, yep that went higher than expected.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I saw that Polaris long before it went into final bidding stages. I think the final bid is too high for me, but it's not totally out of the realm of expectation I have for Ebay.

As for items going for more than expected: about 10 years ago I was going through the Thrift stores and there was nothing....I finally saw this little Game-N-Watch for $1.99. I don't normally collect these, but I got it on a whim. I never used it, and even tried to sell it through Usenet once for $25 but the buyer backed out.

Several years after this I decided I finally had to cull it from my collection. I put it up on Ebay and it got $400 US. It was the second Game-N-Watch ever released and I didn't even realise it!
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Hm, I'm still not sure who xcountry is, only that he is buying a lot of high priced items on Tradera as well.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

One thing is for certain; the more time passes, the more valuable the old stuff will be. As the population continues to grow, more and more of it ends up in landfill, and since it's not being made anymore, it becomes more rare. Supply and demand. My wife is just starting to realize this now; though I'll have to sell something soon to prove it to her. I just don't want to sell anything, because then I know how hard and expensive it will be for me to acquire it in the future. I need duplicates of everything for spare parts and possible future failure. I think it will be a nice inheritance for any grandchildren I might have.
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

I have a mint box with instructions if anyone is interested in buying it to make your cart like this one :P

Brian
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

DigitalQuirk wrote:One thing is for certain; the more time passes, the more valuable the old stuff will be. As the population continues to grow, more and more of it ends up in landfill, and since it's not being made anymore, it becomes more rare.
Makes me really glad I built up most of my collection in the mid-1990s before Ebay ever existed, and while this stuff was still more common in the Thrift stores (49 cents for a VIC cartridge at Value Village in those days).
Keir
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Keir »

Mayhem wrote:Considering I've seen complete Polaris copies sell for less than $20 on eBay
Really? I need to pay more attention. I don't even have that one loose yet.

Speaking of overpriced auctions, just a few weeks ago I sold a loose Atari 2600 Joyboard for $53 and the guy actually paid! I sent him my Mogul Maniac cartridge for free because I felt bad for him.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Yeah I think there was one seller who had a huge batch of them and kept listing them one after each other when they sold. I got my copy from them, but it was about 2-3 years back now.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

carlsson wrote:Hm, I'm still not sure who xcountry is, only that he is buying a lot of high priced items on Tradera as well.
Yeah, someone find him. I've noticed him too. There always seems to be some "sudden hoarder" of VIC items...
Centallica wrote:I have a mint box with instructions if anyone is interested in buying it to make your cart like this one :P
Brian, how did you end up with the box and instructions only? Are you just not a box collector and only want the cart? Or do you not have either?
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

Jeff-20 wrote:Brian, how did you end up with the box and instructions only? Are you just not a box collector and only want the cart? Or do you not have either?
I bought the game boxed with instructions and only need the cart.

We put a offer on a house on Saturday, put our house on the market Monday and it just sold for $1100 over asking, so I'm cleaning house and will be putting my Vic-20 box/instruction collection on ebay soon :P

Will post here when I list,
Brian
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I'm already outpriced for the NEXT big battle....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1