Datasette problems

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

PaulQ
undead vic

Datasette problems

Post by PaulQ »

Okay, I finally scored a Datasette. It's a piece of junk, with a door that's broken and very difficult to close, but it does work. I tested it on my C-64. Connected to my Vic, it's a different story. When I type in "Load," I press play, the computer recognizes the "Play" button is pressed, but the cassette motor does not turn. When "Saving" a program, once again it recognizes that the record button is pressed, but again, no motor activity. Cannot fast forward or rewind. I now find myself asking those of you who know better; what is wrong? I'm suspecting the Vic isn't providing power to the datasette, but I've cleaned the contacts on the edge connector. Any ideas?
eslapion
ultimate expander

Re: Datasette problems

Post by eslapion »

DigitalQuirk wrote:Okay, I finally scored a Datasette. It's a piece of junk, with a door that's broken and very difficult to close, but it does work. I tested it on my C-64. Connected to my Vic, it's a different story. When I type in "Load," I press play, the computer recognizes the "Play" button is pressed, but the cassette motor does not turn. When "Saving" a program, once again it recognizes that the record button is pressed, but again, no motor activity. Cannot fast forward or rewind. I now find myself asking those of you who know better; what is wrong? I'm suspecting the Vic isn't providing power to the datasette, but I've cleaned the contacts on the edge connector. Any ideas?
If it works fine on a 64 then refuses to spin on a VIC, then I confirm to you that the VIC doesn't provide the 9Vdc required to get the dc motor to spin.

What type of VIC do you have ?
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

If it's the new vic-20 model, then it could be the fuse inside of the vic...
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Good call on the fuse, Boray. I checked it, and while the fuse is good, it doesn't appear to be getting any voltage. I decided to check the pins on the power supply with my volt meter, but cannot find a pinout diagram for the Vic 20 power supply anywhere! It's the 9 pin DIN plug; I'm going to keep looking, but if anyone can post the pinout diagram for this, I'd appreciate it.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

After doing more research in these forums, I decided to try my Commodore 64 power supply in my Vic. Lo and behold, the Datasette drive now works! It appears to be a problem with my Vic power supply.

I'm happy to say that I finally feel my system is complete; though it'd be nice to have a datasette drive with a door that didn't put up a fight and threaten to break further every time I close it. I'd still like to see a Vic 20 pinout diagram so I can determine which pin is faulty and possibly repair it if it's just a bad connection.

Thanks again, Boray. Your suggestion put me on the right track to resolving this problem. Today is a good day.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm/pinouts.txt

(It's the same for the c64 and the "new" vic-20 as you have found out)... Btw, isn't there a fuse in the power supply as well? But I think that one is for the whole power supply...?
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

The power supply is one of those sealed-up jobs that warns me not to open it. I was actually surprsied to discover the VIC worked fine without that fuse; I had always assumed it was for the entire computer. I'm learning something new about this friendly computer every day, it seems.
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Play button wont stay down

Post by pitcalco »

I am sure this is a common problem with the datassette.

The play button just will not stay down when I press it. I need to hold it down for the entire duration of the loading or saving. Clearly there is some kind of mechanical problem with some latch, inside the datassette, but I am reluctant to open it up until I get some advice first.
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany