Vic SuperExpander: Is it really that super?

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

PaulQ
undead vic

Vic SuperExpander: Is it really that super?

Post by PaulQ »

I noticed a Vic Superexpander for sale, part number VIC-1211A. It only adds 3K of RAM. Does it do anything else for the Vic?
Tepic
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Tepic »

Yeah, it gives you access to "high res" graphics from basic.

It also has some sound commands, and a simple way to read the joystick.

Well worth it :)
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

I'll have to pick that up, then. Thanks!
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

The super expander cannot work well without at least "some" expansion because it requires more RAM for the graphics modes it provides.

The resolution provided by the super expander is really 160x160 pixels, back then considered "HiRes" but the coordinates sytem internally is addressed as 1024x1024.

The super expander provides even more power and functionnality if you use it with in conjunction with more expansion or with the Programmer's Aid and/or VICMON, the VIC's machine language monitor.

You can use VICMON to add ML routines to your programs and Programmer's Aid to rapidly debug or restructure your programs.

However, programs created with SE require SE to be run.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

The SuperExpander is well worth owning, but because the programs you make with it can only be used on VICs with a SuperExpander, it is slightly limiting.

The Programmer's Aid cartridge is really a must have. Incredibly useful features like renumbering lines of code, autonumbering, find and merge.
Alan
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Alan »

One problem I always had with the Super Expander is that it is supposedly able to play music in the background while the rest of the BASIC program carries on. At least that's what the manual claims. I've never been able to get this to work. Is there a way to make this happen with the S.E.?
Alan