Battle of the Bits Winter Chip ][ compo is ON!!

Discuss anything related to the VIC
aneurysm
not your PAL

Battle of the Bits Winter Chip ][ compo is ON!!

Post by aneurysm »

BotB Winter Chip II info + rules

This year around we are accepting VIC20 .prg files as a chipmusic format!! I hope someone is interested!! After you upload your .prg file there is a link to upload an .mp3 rendering of the hardware playback so everyone knows how it is supposed to sound. I don't own a PAL VIC so I can't render those. If you use memory expansion make sure you let BotB know in the submission form!! Hope to see you there && good luck!!

Official text::
It has officially been launched. Three weeks of chiptune submissions to follow!!

We will be voting on the same categories as last year : heart-magic, brain-tech, thumb-blister, wow-tilt & shit-in-pants.

And the consoles are: VIC20, C64, Amiga, Atari XL/XE, NES + Famicon, Gameboy, AdLib, 12k chiptune, 24k chiptune

Can anyone manage all TEN formats?!?!

----

I haven't been around much. I guess I realized that I am really slow at VIC20 ML programming... and so little people would actually see what I did if I ever finished it. So I went back to webdev stuffs. Battle of the Bits is my baby. I lost my girlfriend to it like someone who plays World of Warcraft!! lol
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Sorry, I'm not totally getting this.

This is a chiptune competition, right? So I assume we can submit VIC tunes in VICtracker format as a .prg file?
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Aneurysm; a small typo: it is Famicom. Also, is there a lack of sponsors (moderators) why you don't list Atari ST .YM files (or actually no computer with an AY chip)?

By the way, I suppose an Amiga MOD up to 48K is the same as any SoundTracker/ProTracker module up to the size limit, while you have two smaller categories (12K, 24K) for chiptunes in MOD format. In that case, in theory I could participate in VIC, C64 and 12/24/48K MOD (but alas I won't).
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
aneurysm
not your PAL

Post by aneurysm »

ral-clan - for some reason i thought Vic Tracker would output a .PRG file. But there is only a UNIX-based converter. So I will be changing the compo to accept both .VT and .PRG files.

carlsson - There is a lack of moderators. I am the only one running this. Someone also asked me why I had no ZX Spectrum either! Funny I forgot both the systems with Yamaha soundchips?!!? I really liked your tune for the Vic Tracker compo!! (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) lol

I am so embarrassed about that Famicom typo -- I sent that to VORC!! I am such n00b! =P

...so I will be adding stuff to the compo soon
but not today
I have a gig with my band...
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Yes, the General Instruments AY-8910/12 series were used in a multitude of Z80 computers such as late ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC, MSX computers and at least one 6502 computer: Oric. The YM chip is compatible (?) or at least related and is best known from Atari ST. There is a player format called YM that appears to dump each register change with timestamps so a music can be saved in that format and played back either on the computer or a music emulator (think Sidplay).
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image