Zombie Yard

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Zombie Yard

Post by Jeff-20 »

Zombie Yard

A horror themed arcade type game just in time for the winter holidays. :) This is one of the other projects I've been working on. I still have room for more custom characters. I included it on the Denail disk, so no changes from that version have been made yet.

Unexpanded VIC, all BASIC, Joystick required.

Instructions:

Legend has it that a horde of zombies will rise from their graves. Each night they will attempt to raise their ghoulish leader from the ground. You must stop them.

How to Play
Enter the graveyard at midnight. The zombies will rise from the ground and lumber toward you. Use the joystick to maneuver around the zombies. Avoid touching them. When they are not chasing you, they will work to dig up the body of their leader. The only time the zombies are vulnerable is when they are digging (a zombie will turn red as they start to dig). Wait until one is defenseless and simply stand over the monster to bury it. Another zombie will quickly take its place.

A red meter to the left of the play field will keep track of their progress. Working in groups they can unearth the leader more quickly. They will often stand guard to protect their defenseless peers.

The ghost leader will appear as an apparition. His apparition will appear randomly to startle and distract you. While he cannot directly attack you, avoid running into his deadly image. Should the meter reach zero, the ghoul will rise. The longer you survive, the greater your chance of stopping him.

Let me know what you think.
Last edited by Jeff-20 on Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by GreyGhost »

Once again, man, nice. Is there a hint of ML or is it all basic? The movement of the monsters is very smooth.

Thanks for letting the rest of us have a peek at the games in the Collection. :D
Rob
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

All BASIC. You know I always take pride in using all basic and no expansion. :lol:
GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by GreyGhost »

Oops. Seems to be a little error. Moving the player Up&Right or Down&Left makes the player char move in the right direction, but he's facing the wrong way. Easy mistake.
Rob
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

no, hes backing away in fear as one might do with a zombie... :lol:
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Jeff....you have a very elegant programming style. Your graphics are clear, simple, crisp yet totally effective. Your creations are like the Hai-Ku (spelling) of the video game world...fun, effective, only as complicated as they need to be and no more.

I must say: your colour selections are great for someone with no colour perception.
GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by GreyGhost »

That's right, a "UnDocumented Feature" :lol:
Rob
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

one of the best games in the collection!

nice blend of berzerk! and robotron.

two of my fav. games, so zombie yard is a super treat!
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

zombie yard

Post by ravenxau »

great game jeff - I, like you also believe in the Unexpanded/basic only philosophy - any chance a getting a look at the algorithm you used for the monster movement?- I tried a to make a similar style game "back in the day" (which turned out to be horribly slow). While your at it, those skills could go a long way to making and unexpanded gauntlet type game - just a thought.

Keep up the great work - cheers, matt
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

with halloween getting closer, i have been playing this game a bit more often.

it is probably in my top 10 for most played games at the moment.

but damn, this is one tough game!

i have never made it to a 4th night :(
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Thanks! I took down the link to the prg file in July because I wanted to completely remake the game in time for October. I am pretty much done. After the ECCC event, I will put out the new version.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

woof!

a new version?!!

looking forward to it!
zhx
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by zhx »

Aw mannnn...I have no way to check this out and it looks totally sweet.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

No VIC-20? What about a VIC-E? When there's a will, there's a way.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
zhx
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by zhx »

No, I have a VIC. No way to transfer programs to it. Short of typing them in myself, of course.