Anyone have success running "PET LOADER"

Discuss anything related to the VIC
desiv
Vic 20 Newbie

Re: Anyone have success running "PET LOADER"

Post by desiv »

ral-clan wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:27 pm I think the Avalon Hill games were programmed in almost vanilla (i.e. cross platform) BASIC so they could easily be ported across systems. Therefore I would expect few to no POKEs.
Makes sense, since the game I have on tape on side A had Apple and TRS-80 and side B is PET. ;-)
In fact, If I can get a tape drive working (I have an Aquarius someone gave me with a broken tape drive, but it looks to be a plain tape drive), I should try that on my Apple //e too!!! (Not sure why I never thought about that.)
Forbidden64
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Re: Anyone have success running "PET LOADER"

Post by Forbidden64 »

Well, I was thinking one might add a basic wedge. This could intercept the pokes of a given range and simply append the range to the "correct" range; or the specific address to be correct. Then change the background and foreground to black. Change the text to green or white.
Tah Dah! How cool of a cart would that be too...

Of course, this too could only account for basic. I think building a full on emulator would be an academic exercise more than a fun and useful emulator to run pet software. Kinda like that 6502 simulator by Becker. Although, if you wanted to do it, that would be a great place to start! It runs 6502 code above the 6502, on a 6502...very meta.