WTB: VIC Memory IC's

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

Jaicen
Vic 20 Dabbler

WTB: VIC Memory IC's

Post by Jaicen »

As some may know, (or probably don't remember more like), I have a VIC that i've been trying to resurrect. Unfortunately, i've so far been pretty unsuccessful in my endeavours. However, i'm pretty pig-headed so i'm going to persevere.
I'm 90% certain that the problems i've got are related to the RAM onboard. Previously, i've been able to get the VIC to something like the boot screen, sometimes with text. It always crashed if I tried to execute a command. To try and solve this, i've replaced IC's 4,5 and 6 which are the memory control logic chips. This didn't seem to do anything, so I put the VIC away and left it for a while. When I tried to troubleshoot it earlier today, it wouldn't respond, and i'm now getting a blank (dark) screen.
Sooo, i'm thinking that the damaged RAM has finally given up the ghost, and needs replacing. I'm therefore looking for someone that can ship me a handful of MM2114N RAM chips for a late revision VIC. Obviously i'm willing to pay a reasonable amount for the chips and postage.
Alternatively, if anyone has a damaged motherboard they want rid of then I'd be interested in that also, as I could patch one together from the bits that work ;)
Actually, whilst i'm on the subject of patching together, I still need the 1,2 and 6 keys for the keyboard, they're still missing too :roll:

If anyone can help me, i'd be very grateful!
Thanks,
Rob
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

There is a place in Montreal which sells the type of ram you want for a low price ($1.50 each). I could buy these for you and mail them to you.

However your keys problem probably means you'll have to replace the whole keyboard. I have your keys but the VIC is known to have 3 different types of keyboards.

I have complete keyboards here. Real VIC ones as the function keys color shows. I can sell you one for 3$.
Jaicen
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by Jaicen »

Why would I have to replace the whole keyboard??
It's the later type, same as the C64 but with different coloured F keys.
The thing is, I can get a working VIC for around £10, so I'm only fixing it if I can do it cheaply ;)
I do want it fixed, but perhaps it would be more economical to use it for parts? Have you any idea how much shipping would be for the three RAM chips and a keyboard to the UK?? Or even any way I can check which isn't working in my VIC??
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Jaicen wrote:Why would I have to replace the whole keyboard??
It's the later type, same as the C64 but with different coloured F keys.
The thing is, I can get a working VIC for around £10, so I'm only fixing it if I can do it cheaply ;)
I do want it fixed, but perhaps it would be more economical to use it for parts? Have you any idea how much shipping would be for the three RAM chips and a keyboard to the UK?? Or even any way I can check which isn't working in my VIC??
Fixing a VIC can be a complex and/or expensive thing to do. If you can get a VIC for £10 which I assume is around 20$ then it may be a good solution.

I didn't know you had a C64 like keyboard in your VIC and that's why if I only send you the three keys you asked for and they don't fit on your keyboard (which does happend very often with VICs) then you are quite...out of luck!

Shipping the chips and a complete keyboard to the UK is relatively cheap as the whole thing will weigh less than 2kg. It fits within CanadaPost's definition of a "small packet" and therefore costs 8$ (around £4) to ship just about anywhere in the world.
yoyodyne
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by yoyodyne »

Repairing broken keyboards is simple. I've done it many times, just
unsolder the caps lock key, and unscrew the circuit board. Replace
the broken stems (err, key contact thingys), and put it all back
together. I keep a bag of these parts handy, removed from a
donor keyboard.

Sure, whole keyboards may be cheap, but someday you might not
have one. We are lucky, our Commodore keyboards are very
durable, some of the Atari 8-bit line were not designed to
last this long, and its showing.
If you document it, its not a bug, its a feature.
~
You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Just don't count on having them both at once.
~
There was a time, before we were born. If someone asks, this is where I'll be.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

yoyodyne wrote:I keep a bag of these parts handy, removed from a
donor keyboard.

Sure, whole keyboards may be cheap, but someday you might not
have one. We are lucky, our Commodore keyboards are very
durable, some of the Atari 8-bit line were not designed to
last this long, and its showing.
As I said and repeat, in the case of the VIC, there are 3 different types of potential donor keyboards.

So, unless I ship a full keyboard... in order to be sure the keys I send match the receiver keyboard, I would have to send 3 keys from 3 different donors. Only one possible answer: NO WAY!
yoyodyne
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by yoyodyne »

Or, maybe ask him to post a picture of the parts he needs.

Then you could compare the picture to the 3 types of keyboards
you have.
If you document it, its not a bug, its a feature.
~
You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Just don't count on having them both at once.
~
There was a time, before we were born. If someone asks, this is where I'll be.
damnstraight
Vic 20 Hobbyist

ram chips

Post by damnstraight »

this is a good source of chip for any ocassion. https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/store ... yId=105090
Jaicen
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by Jaicen »

Ok, now we've got christmas out of the way, i'd like to get back into fixing my VIC.
Are you still willing to ship me those chips eslapion?? I could pay you with paypal or something. Jameco's good, but I'm in the UK and don't have a credit card.
If you could let me know how much shipping is going to be and we can take it from there.