plays wooden flutes

Commodore brand DVD-R/CD-Rs

Post by ral-clan »

Here is one of the products the new Commdore company is stamping the logo onto:

http://fc.retecivica.milano.it/Rete%20C ... -r_50.jpeg
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Cute. Back in the days, those 5.25" floppy disks branded Commodore, PET or VIC were said to be among the worst on the market when it came to reliability and other aspects. It makes me wonder if those CD-R and DVD-R also are of the lowest quality, or if recordable optical media doesn't have any absolute bottom level these days, if you see what I mean.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Well, the first range of the "new" Commodore's products were all re-brandings of cheapish Chinese electronics (i.e. MP3 players). I think their second generation of products (the "gravel" media players), are more original and better quality. They probably needed to generate some revenue with the initial stuff to develop the later stuff.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I don't expect Commodore today to have their own factories for recordable optical media, just as little as they probably didn't have own factories for recordable magnetic media in the early 1980's. Or maybe they had? I haven't used any VIC-DISK or PET-DISK myself, but I've read reviews about their poor quality compared to SKC, 3M, Maxell and all the other floppy disk manufacturers at the day.
Anders Carlsson

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I never saw any Commodore branded media in Canada back in the 1980s. Nothing except for the Commodore branded disks that came with the computers & peripherals.
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

I did buy 2x5 DVDs. I have tryed 5. None of those havent work.

No problems with TDK. Well.. I got nice Commodore CD/DVD cases anyway..
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Ooh, that sounds really bad if you so far have a fail ratio of 100%.
Anders Carlsson

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Note the double negative. I think he means to say a 0% fail rate.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Mika will have to clarify. "I got nice Commodore CD/DVD cases anyway" sounds to me like it was the only functional part.
Anders Carlsson

Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

carlsson wrote:Mika will have to clarify. "I got nice Commodore CD/DVD cases anyway" sounds to me like it was the only functional part.
Yes. Discs can be used under glass at table and they have nice Commodore logo too..

I have tryed 5/10 and none has worked. First I did think that it was my fault, but no problems with TDK. I tryed burn DVD video, no luck.. Disc wont boot at my external DVD player (TDK works fine). At IBM Thinkpad disc boots to menu, but picture does twitch. Then I tryed burn DATA (MP3s), it does load directory.. But then my computer stops responding.. And when you try to play MP3s those twitch.. I tryed to copy stuff back to HD from DVD.. My computer stops responding.. I think it did copy some files/directorys and then it just stop reasponding/reading dvd. TDK works ok. Commodore DVDs are crap. :evil: