Sargon II
3%
Star Trek
4%

Total votes: 76

Arma
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Arma »

It Just has to be the Minter Classic "Gridrunner".
anyone ever ran a compo for the highest score on it? I have quite a few doubles of tape software, if i get time i will make a list of what i have spare.
Then if a compo was arranged the winner could take a free tape of his choice from the list.

Just an idea :)

Arma.
Armas Vic 20 Tribute Pages are back !

Goto www.timsplace.plus.com for over 400 tape games, inlay scans and screen shots.

Please help support the Vic and i will try to convert all tapes to .tap files.
Palmer Eldritch
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Palmer Eldritch »

I received my copy of Omega Race almost 25 years ago. It remains to this day the very best game I´ve ever played on the VIC.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Omega Race was my second favorite.

The 4 VIC games I played the most are:

1. Donkey Kong
2. Omega Race
3. Lunar Leeper
4. In the Chips
bradw2k
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by bradw2k »

Hello! This is my first post. I fired up a Vic-20 for the first time in more than 20 years the other night -- I was very pessimistic that the hardware I had would actually work (bought off of ebay, and then my hookup to the TV was rather ... suspicious ;) ) -- but I was thrilled when the familiar blue screen showed up on channel 3! A very fuzzy signal, but I got used to that when I was 11.

Anyway, I second the nomination that Clowns was atrocious (it was my first game cartridge as well), and Jupiter Lander rocks. Pics of my high score after 45 minutes at scripsit.blogspot.com

I have an idea to either port or rewrite (undecided) Jupiter Lander in Silverlight 1.1. Either way I'd like to start by looking at the original code -- where can I get it? Assembly would be ideal of course (was the source ever released for old Commodore games?), but lacking that where can I find the machine code and what is the best Windows-based disassembler? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

Jupiter Lander gets wayyyy too easy too quickly.. it didn't take long before I could play it indefinitely by landing on the 10x pad every time..

My list...

1 Donkey Kong
2 Dig Dug
3 Death Race
4 Gorf
5 Omega Race
6 Raid on Fort Knox
7 ACE
8 Miner 20'49er
9 Rockman
10 Capture the Flag

I could put some Minter titles there too, but I can never remember which one is which, to be honest..
3^4 is 81.0000001
SirClive
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by SirClive »

My fave games are Perils of Willy and Dragonwing. Unfortunately neither are up there :(
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

If you feel for running polls, we could put together some ten polls with games grouped by category, and then have a final round with the ten winners. I'm not sure what that does though, other than initiating discussions around each game.

Perils of Willy is very hard, if I remember correctly. Pixel perfect at its worst.

Dragonwing is indeed a technically excellent game, a bit too new to compare with the classics from the early 1980's.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

bradw2k wrote:Hello! This is my first post. I fired up a Vic-20 for the first time in more than 20 years the other night -- I was very pessimistic that the hardware I had would actually work (bought off of ebay, and then my hookup to the TV was rather ... suspicious ;) ) -- but I was thrilled when the familiar blue screen showed up on channel 3! A very fuzzy signal, but I got used to that when I was 11.
Hi - I would suggest, bypass the RF modulator and go for a connection through the monitor port to the A/V inputs to your TV - you can find adapters on ebay for not much.. the difference is *huge*..!

-G
3^4 is 81.0000001
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

I cannot vote, since you clearly left out the best Vic 20 game of all time:

TANK-V-UFO by D.LATER

8)
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

LOL.. and 'Killer Comet'... my first ever experience in typing in a game.. where's the X-Box 360 release?
3^4 is 81.0000001
bofh1971
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by bofh1971 »

Come on Guys the list is endless

Shopper (psycho?)
Xeno II was a lot of games in one if I remember correctly
Hellgate, and Lazerzone, very similar addictive frantic play
Sky Hawk, good enough flight sim for me :) and I always loved Harrier Jump Jets.

Jet PAC!!!
Rockman and Bonzo were both amazing

Chariot Race, its MULTIPLAYER yaaay (well 2 anyway) used to go really slow so the fireballs would fall and then me and my brother would compete to see who could survive longest :)

Gorf almost arcade perfect

There was a 5 game game pack that had a galaxian clone on it, that would reach ridiculous speeds :)

The perils of Willy too, which was a salute to all those speccy owners who didnt know what a keyboard was ;)

and the list goes on.........
now I really do need to find a UK RF modulator, I wanna play .......
d0c
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by d0c »

my game is not on the list "star defender" :(

http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/ ... efence.prg
1983 vic20 & 3k-16k ram expansion....
Key-Quest
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Key-Quest »

One of my favorites (thinking way way back now) was that one where you drill for oil, I think it was called something like "Oil Tycoon". And then you would hit a gas pocket and your pipe would blow up...frustrating, but hilarious!
I can't remember whether it was cartridge or cassette, wish I could remember the exact title! :lol:
telengard
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by telengard »

Tough call. For me Gridrunner and Jupiter Lander are very close. I voted for Jupiter Lander since I never seem to get bored of it even after all these years.

~telengard
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Play value is really subjective. The best game now would be different from the best game then. What I mean is that I was most impressed by Adventureland and Omega Race at the time. But now I enjoy more simple games like Scare City Hotel and Creepy Corridors. At the moment Frogger '07 will probably get the vote of most Denial members.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.