Denial Collection 2

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Denial Collection 2

Post by Jeff-20 »

DONE! That was the last one. NO more addresses please.

-----------------------------------------------------

:!: SPOILER WARNING :!:

--------------------------------------------------------

IF YOU GAVE ME YOUR ADDRESS, YOU MAY WANT TO WAIT BEFORE READING THIS THREAD.
Last edited by Jeff-20 on Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Cheers for the pressie Jeff :)

(I'll let anyone not yet received it wonder for a while)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

:lol:
Now that I think of it. I hope everyone checks in, so I can stop worrying about whether of not it survived.
MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MacbthPSW »

Bizarre how stuff travels faster between North America and the UK than within North America (i.e. between Canada and the U.S.A.) itself.

I'm hoping it's a 10th anniversary issue of paper Denial, or perhaps a Xmas game coded by Jeff, but whatever it is, I'm sure it'll be cool...
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Ahhhh heh... how about "Denial Collection 2", does that whet your appetite? ;)

I like Box, though Jeff you've made it harder than Mario's Picross et al because you've only provided one number per row/column (eg. if two dots were in fact separate on a row/column, they would normally be listed as 1,1 not 2 as per Box). Nothing like a challenge :)

Btw there's no manual to Only You, so I wasn't sure what to do. I'm assuming it's like Tetris Attack, but what are the conditions for matching?

Love Game Theory, I wonder where you got the idea from? ;) How many mini-games are there in total for it?

And us Denial members are now immortalised in one game too heh...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I love feedback!

I wanted box to be harder because I am only dealing with an eight squared area, and we are dealing with "familiars". The method you described would be much too easy for the area I am working with.

Only You is old. I wanted it to be a kind of riddle, so I didn't properly explain it. The idea is match similars and switch dissimilars.

Game Theory is me attempting to get deep. So I won't tell you just how deep it goes. Did someone else have that idea already? I tried really hard not to go with exact clones, but I guess thematically that's difficult to do.

It's hard to talk in code... I'll just wait until more have tried it.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Thank you very much!!! How nice! I have not tried the disk yet, but everything looks very nice, the disk, manual etc. Cool pins too! Thanks! I will try the disk later today... A fun thing is that I got a TPUG Newsletter with my "Why emulation isn't enough" from Schema in the mail today as well :lol:
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
ruud
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ruud »

Boray wrote:Thank you very much!!! How nice! I have not tried the disk yet, but everything looks very nice, the disk, manual etc. Cool pins too! Thanks! I will try the disk later today...
Same from me, thank you very much!

Code: Select all

___
   / __|__
  / /  |_/     Met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen
  \ \__|_\
   \___|       URL: www.baltissen.org

Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I've tried all the games now. What a nice collection - I liked them all. And the instruction manual provided a nice "brand new game of the early 80's" feeling. "See your local VIC dealer" Hahaha! The game idea for "Box" was cool! That's probably my favourite for now. The world cup shoot out made me laugh! I mean, the names! :lol: Thanks again!
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

THanks for the feedback. I wanted to recreate that all BASIC commercial product of the 80s, like Blue Meanies, Scare City Motel and Ruler Dueler. Remember those? I even started to make them all tapes, but my datacassette wasn't working.

The whole production was a little rushed. I noticed many things I would have wanted to change after I mailed them. It figures that Box would be the favorite because I spent the least time on making it.... I thought the idea would be too boring as straight lines seem to come up too much. I even have a sequel with all custom characters (I left it off the disk) :cry: .

i just hope the others are enguaging enough to "play through". It seems like I only give old school games a few seconds of play time. While as a kid, I would play a game until I discovered every little feature and hidden message (omega race), etc. I really want to recreate that feeling.

How many secrets can you find? I didn't hide them very well. I just wanted that "hidden feeling" in each one.
Last edited by Jeff-20 on Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Mine arrived today as well. Didn't have time to try it yet. I was a bit surprised about the media - I thought you were a tape guy.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

what a way to end the ride home!

new catalogue from Solarbtics, my child tax credit cheque, and a limited edition DENIAL game pack, in the mailbox!

ultra sweet job you did Jeff!!

those mini games are brilliant!

my daughter was playing them too, and loves 'take a photo'

it was so fun loading up your menu via Xmenu on Leif's cart!!!!

soccer is wicked, and what a nice touch to use people's user names.

off to play Spy Mouse!

i am super grateful, thanks so much!
Last edited by vic user on Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I guess I can explain now. I've been wanting to create something like this for a long time. This year (actually October) marks the 10th anniversay of Denial as a newsletter. The website has been around almost 3 years...

With so many December observances (holidays and celebrations) I rushed to get it done before years end. I wanted it to be a holiday gift.

One of those December celebrations is called Kwanzaa. It's sometimes the subject of jokes and controversy, but for people of African decent it was intended to be an alternative to the commercialization of other holidays. To be celebrated along with and not replace concurrent holidays. Well, to put it brief, one of the main ideas of the holiday is not to buy a gift for people but to make one by hand. I grew up with this idea of making things in addition to bought gifts. So if you wish, some of you may consider this your first kwanzaa gift :lol: With friends from around the world, I always take pleasure in celebrating new holidays.

So, I made 30 copies of this collection to celebrate the anniversay of Denial. The moment I got the idea I started collecting addresses. First come, first served. I mailed about 27 of them with three remaining.

I'm not sure what to do with the last three, but it costs alot to give them away... so I may throw them on ebay to see if I can recruit new memebers to the board. I don't want to seem like I am playing favorites, so I will hold my word to not collecting anymore addresses.

I only ask that it remain on disk, not to be played on emulators (give me that one); it is afterall a childhood dream I'm reliving. It's just for fun, but I get a kick out of you guys firing up real vics to play!

There's also a catch. I envisioned an immersive "Alternate reality game" to go along with this. It's elements are mixed into each program; however, now I think memebers may not have the time or interest in that sort of gameplay. I may just stick with the VIC :P The idea of a child playing and enjoying it.... priceless!
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Jeff-20 wrote:One of those December celebrations is called Kwanzaa. It's sometimes the subject of jokes and controversy, but for people of African decent it was intended to be an alternative to the commercialization of other holidays. To be celebrated along with and not replace concurrent holidays. Well, to put it brief, one of the main ideas of the holiday is not to buy a gift for people but to make one by hand.
That's a great idea for a holiday. I love it. Here in my part of Canada, the Christmas decorations and christmas Muzak started showing up in the malls the day after Hallowe'en. The commercialization really sucks the joy out of the season. I love the idea of hand made gifts. So meaningful.
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

I didn't send you my address so I haven't seen the collection, but I must say that you are an extraordinary human being.

I'll watch eBay for the remaining copies :)

And hey, happy Kwanzaa everyone!
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.