Need an RF Adapter for VIC 20!

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

Tepic
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Tepic »

I still use a modulator with mine! I've never gotten around to picking up the required cable.

Maybe when it finally packs up :)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Re: Need an RF Adapter for VIC 20!

Post by Jeff-20 »

eslapion wrote:I may sound stupid but I really don't understand why anyone would want/need such an item nowadays.

Every TV in the world now has a video in...
I use an RF because I still haven't found an rca cable that works correctly with my vic! :evil:
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Jeff-20 wrote:I use an RF because I still haven't found an rca cable that works correctly with my vic! :evil:
This guy uses a 5 pin DIN and outputs composite. It should work with both the VIC and the 64.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Commodore-64-64C-128 ... dZViewItem
rork
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by rork »

eslapion wrote:
Jeff-20 wrote:I use an RF because I still haven't found an rca cable that works correctly with my vic! :evil:
This guy uses a 5 pin DIN and outputs composite. It should work with both the VIC and the 64.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Commodore-64-64C-128 ... dZViewItem
I have this cable (actually bought from nkc_store). Worked well with my VIC-20 and now I'm using it with my C128. I highly recommend those guys, too. Very professional and conscientious sellers.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

i think that is the same seller i got mine from!

yep, i use mine with the 80 column card to an old Zenith monochrome monitor, and the signal is very strong.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I have a cable very similar to this and it doesn't work at all. I don't recall the seller, but it did come from ebay.
rork
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by rork »

Jeff-20 wrote:I have a cable very similar to this and it doesn't work at all. I don't recall the seller, but it did come from ebay.
Did you contact the seller about that? I got another cable from these guys (XM1541) and it was broken. I sent them an email and they shipped me a new cable right away.

Strange; the A/V cable works pretty well with my C128 (and it did work well with my VIC). I have a little flickering effect sometimes, but I think that's something related to my switch box--I get the same thing from my VCR from time to time...
MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MacbthPSW »

Jeff-20 wrote:I have a cable very similar to this and it doesn't work at all. I don't recall the seller, but it did come from ebay.
If it's not broken, maybe it's not meant for the VIC-20. I bought an identical looking cable once, which didn't work - turns out it was for the original Sega Genesis, which uses a different pin-out.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

What about this cable. This looks exactly like what I bought before (it didn't work). Are you 100% sure this will work on a VIC?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1
rork
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by rork »

Jeff-20 wrote:What about this cable. This looks exactly like what I bought before (it didn't work). Are you 100% sure this will work on a VIC?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1
Well, THIS is the one I bought from them. Basically, it's the same cable as in the auction you linked, plus an additional V connector (to make it "stereo"). Worked on my VIC-20.

As I said, I've had a very good experience with nkc_store. If it doesn't work for whatever reason, I'm sure they'll fix it or replace it for you.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Ooooooh, I want the stereo too! Thanks.
rork
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by rork »

Jeff-20 wrote:Ooooooh, I want the stereo too! Thanks.
No problemo. :) Hope it works and you like it, if you decide to buy it.

Yeah, I wanted to have the stereo too, but frankly ended up using just the base mono cable, since my switch box has one mono input that is "translated" into stereo, which I hadn't realized before. :oops: But then again, I can always plug it directly into the (stereo) front plate on my TV, if I choose to do so. I guess it's worth a couple more bucks.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

How interesting. I still have my original RF modulator from my first Vic-20, and got one with the Vic-20 I acquired at the flea market. The flea market RF modulator is squirrely, behaving much like yours; however, my original one still works fine.

I'm going to turn the flea market one into a composite cable, as explained here:

http://www.digitpress.com/livefaq/index ... artlang=en

If I were you, that's what I'd do. Meanwhile, if you open up the RF modulator, there are a couple of trim pots in there; you could try messing with those.

Of course, these suggestions are provided as is without warranty of any kind. Assume I don't know what I'm talking about, and decide for yourself what's best.