Sports games on the Vic?

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Tonks
Vic 20 Amateur

Sports games on the Vic?

Post by Tonks »

Hi,

I am Tonks. I write a Vic 20 column in Retrogaming Times Monthly, the best online magazine dedicated to Classic gaming.

The current issue.....
( Go to my.stratos.net/~hewston95/RTM/RTM_Home.htm to check out this awesome magazine)
has an olympic games / summer games theme. To try and continue this theme with my Vic 20 column I posed a question, "Are there any sports games for the Vic 20?"

I have a reasonably large collection of games (100+ carts as well as countless tapes) but I could not find one single sports game apart from a very poor text based golf game.

So let me ask you fellow Vic 20 fans, is there any sports games that were released for the Vic 20? Please reply to me in regards to this and I will list any games in the next issue of RTM.

Regards,

Tonks
andrew@milduracofc.org.au
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Welcome to the group!

That is a very good question! I cannot think of a single one. I wonder why I never noticed that before. . . I can only think of a handful of type-in sports programs, mostly text-based football managment and a BASIC rugby game (loosely based on the rules).
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Audiogenic's Golf (+3K) was rather fun, although it is more a typing than an action game. Maybe this is what you refer to as the "text based" one.

Otherwise.. well; Football Manager, Pool, various racing and slalom games. I assume "Alien Soccer" by Jeff Shyshka doesn't qualify as a sports game.

Speaking about recent (1996 to now) releases, Aleksi Eeben made a small running game in 2002: Sport Sport.
It resembles Decathlon/Track'n'Field but may be more a proof of demo concept than a complete game.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Yes.. There was Finnish Vic20 Sport game called 'Yleisurheilu'. It used 8k extra ram.

Yleisurheilu = 'Track & Field games' on english.

It used paddle controllers.
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

And there is 'Super Smash' cartridge game.. Its Tennis..

Even it looks like Breakout.. :D
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I don't know if Super Smash should count as a sports title. It is just Breakout.

I forgot about the endless supply of down-scrolling SKI games in BASIC. I even made one when I was a kid. The text scrolling nature of the VIC makes it so obvious.

I'd like to see a sports title actually based on the rules. That might be a fun project -- to have several programmers interpret a single sport.
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Jeff-20 wrote:I don't know if Super Smash should count as a sports title. It is just Breakout.
I am not giving up.. :D

Its Tennis.. :twisted:

http://www.tomheroes.com/Video%20Games% ... rsmash.htm
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Maybe Racquet Ball... but there is no returning player, so I cannot call it tennis.

(best debate ever!)
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Yes.. But there is pic of Tennis player on gamebox.. Maybe he is practicing with wall.. :D

Anyway.. Yleisurheilu is Track & Field game. I wish I could find link/image if it on internet.. Then I could send link.. I have tape & manual, but no gamebox.. Used to have complete game of it when I was kid.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I think players of racquetball, squash, tennis and possibly even badminton look quite the same, much like you can't tell the difference between a sprinter and a hurdler only by how they are dressed or body form.

Mika, maybe you can preserve your T&F game and at least present a screenshot if not downloadable software? It sounds rather interesting.

By the way, I think there were some Basic football games too, with some action element included. If we only bother with whole character cells (no smooth movement), it would not be _that_ difficult to write some 5-aside game. At least not if the whole football field is to be included onto the same screen page.
Anders Carlsson

vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

If we only bother with whole character cells (no smooth movement), it would not be _that_ difficult to write some 5-aside game. At least not if the whole football field is to be included onto the same screen page.
Perhaps beach soccer ;)

Chris
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

carlsson wrote:
Mika, maybe you can preserve your T&F game and at least present a screenshot if not downloadable software? It sounds rather interesting.
If it was disc software.. I already had made D64.. but.. :D

I dont have way make image etc of tape.. :(

If I take pic of my tv screen.. I dont have ftp to uplaod that pic..

I wish I could find something from internet of that game.. Those Finnish games are hard to find.. English games are lot easyer.. :D
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Mikam73 wrote:Yes.. But there is pic of Tennis player on gamebox.. Maybe he is practicing with wall.. :D
If the cover art for Donkey Kong depicted Mario in a Track Suit, I still wouldn't consider it a sports game. He's jumping over barrels! Similarly, I've never player tennis where destroying bricks was involved. :lol: :lol:
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Mika, you can record the tape as a WAV file to your PC and use some wav2tap tool (as mentioned elsewhere on this BBS) to make a loadable TAP out of it. Lack of storage space is of course a bummer, but it should not be more than 1 MB so you could email it to someone, in particular after zipping it - TAPs contain quite a lot of space!
Anders Carlsson

carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Here's a quick'n'dirty mock-shot on how a football game may look like:

Of course, using custom characters would make much better lines, not to mention the football players (an inverted X marks the currently active player). Who knows, maybe some day I get inspired enough to start programming even.
Last edited by carlsson on Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anders Carlsson