The World of Commodore, December 2 2006 in Toronto

Discuss anything related to the VIC
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

hehehe, i must have had three people from work now, send me the link to the Toronto Star article.

they know me well!
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

ral-clan wrote:On another subject: did Jeri show up this time?
Unfortunately not - apparently she left her booking to the last minute and then couldn't get a flight to Toronto :cry:
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Centallica wrote:It was great finally meeting Golan and Eslapion yesterday!
It was great meeting you too!
Centallica wrote:Eslapion demo'd his Ultimate Expander and was there for sales orders. Many were surprised and impressed that there was great new development in the Vic-20 scene 8) If I knew that you needed a new keyboard, I would of brought ya one from my pile there Eslapion...maybe next time :P
Actually, because The Addisson electronic surplus store sold many C16 keyboards after these computers were discontinued, the "multicolored" keyboards is more or less a tradition in Montreal which distinguishes us from pretty much any other Commodore fanatics. That is why my VIC's keyboard was and remains the way it is.

For everyone's information: My VIC's keyboard has all its letter keys replaced with C16's keys as well as the RETURN and INST/DEL keys giving it a "dual colored" look.

Many Montrealers "customized" their VIC/64 keyboards in this manner in the late 80s. I could safely say that no 2 people changed the same keys as to "personnalize" their machines.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Meeting and hanging out with everyone was the highlight of the show for me. Unfortunately I didn't have a Denial button to wear this year but I've got 12 months to get one for the next World of Commodore. :)

Hopefully there will be more VIC-20 content next year. After all, it's the 'World of Commodore', not the World of the 64. Leif gave a PET-oriented demo and Eslapion did a demo of his VIC expander (which blew me away, BTW) but there wasn't anything about the Amiga or any of the more obscure machines like the C16 or Plus/4. It would be great to have such machines on display so people who have never used one can at least get a feel for them. Luckily there is lots of time to hatch plans to make the WoC '07 even better.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
rork
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by rork »

Cool pics! They remind my of this Computer Market thingy that used to take place every Saturday at a local school in Warsaw, Poland, in the late 80s and early 90s. People sitting at tables (like those at the WoC) with their Commodores, Ataris, ZX Spectrums, Amstrads, etc. Selling and trading equipment, games, programs, books, magazines... Good old times! :D

Seeing those photos made me want to attend the next year's meeting even more... :)
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

ral-clan wrote:Kind of sad I guess, and perhaps slightly sexist of me - But I automatically assume that any woman (especially young, non-bookish looking ones) at a Commodore show is either a reporter/girlfriend dragged along/someone looking for the washroom! :lol:

Of course there is always one exception to the rule: Jeri.

I'm sure she gets sick of the question: so what does it like to be a woman at these events....blah, blah, blah.

Just to protect myself: there's nothing wrong with bookish looking women....sometimes they are the nicest people!
Actually, now that I have seen a couple of women in the electrical engineering field, I must say it is obvious when I look at Jeri's various photos available on the web that she IS the kind of girl that would be actively involved in high technology stuff.

Let me report to you people on a very real incident that happened at ETS 3 years ago. There was a very skinny and small young woman I saw every day at the cafeteria. She was 2 or 3 semesters from finishing and I just got in. She had extremely long hair, going all the way down below her waistline, Harry Potter's styled glasses and pimples all over her face. Her clothing style was just about fashionable in the 1950's.

One day I saw her coming in the presentation hallway where all the university's club exhibit their creations. The cafeteria being opened on one side to the hallway, everyone could see her from the cafeteria. It was obvious from the corner she was coming in from, she was coming back from the facilities and guess what... she had a piece of toilet paper stuck to the tip of her hair!!

I later learned this lady finished an electrical engineering degree with a very high average, among the top 10 of her graduation.