POLL: Which games do you like most?

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

POLL: Which games do you like most?

Post by Jeff-20 »

This question wouldn't work as a statistical poll. I just wanted to know your thoughts.

Which do you enjoy more?

Commercially released CARTRIDGE games

Commercially and Independently released TAPE games

User Type-in Games

I only ask because I have lately found myself enjoying the later two more than the former! The tape and type-in games are often slow or flawed, but they may better capture the spirit of the era.

Of all my favorite titles, only 30% are carts! Most of my favs were released on tape.
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Mmh, difficult to answer as I seldom play games. Beside Bonzo, which is my all-time, all-platform favourite :-) So I should vote for the second choice, but on the other hand most times I like to write and play my own games - or at least some routines until I loose interest.
I like to have a look at user type-in games too, just to get some new ideas, but I'm too lazy to type them in, so I don't play them.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Sword of Fargoal is one of the most fun VIC games I've ever played....followed by Crush, Crumble and Chomp, Rescue at Rigel, etc. etc.

So I'd have to say Commercial Tape games.

Well, REALMS OF QUEST us technically a user-made game. But, but if it had been made in the 1980s, it would certainly have been sold commercially. Because of that I'm sticking with COMMERCIAL tape games.
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

I'm finding I enjoy the independently released games (probably on cassette originally) more lately, just because of the sheer variety and cleverness of some of the games.
d0c
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by d0c »

i also must go for the "Commercially and Independently released TAPE games".... if i must pick one..

my favorite game is star defender 16k...
1983 vic20 & 3k-16k ram expansion....
MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MacbthPSW »

Sadly, I'm pretty ignorant about most VIC games except for my cart collection of about ~50 titles. I'd like to fix that, suggestions welcome, though I don't want to hi-jack this thread.

Anyway, I have to answer commercially released cartridge games, only because I've experienced very little of anything else.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

IsaacKuo's poll made me think of this old thread. I'm really wonder if media changes the perception of a software release. I looked at the disk/tape section of the megacart's title list before I read the cart list. To me, tapes and disks seem to hold more potential for unique ideas.

And I just figured out another reason: The games I enjoy the most are the ones I can list out! I want to see the code.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

I'm not sure what my answer to this question is so I've listed the games I usually play and the formats they are in:

Games I play most on the VIC

Shark Attack (tape)
Tetris+ (Mega Cart - disk/tape section)
Return to Fort Knox (Mega Cart - disk/tape section)
Death Race (tape)
Jelly Monsters (Mega Cart - cartridge section)
VIC Rally (Mega Cart - cartridge section)
Phantom Attack (tape)
Neutron Zapper (tape)
Arcadia (tape)
Omega Race (Mega Cart - cartridge section)
Carling the Spider (floppy disk)
Frogger 07 (Mega Cart - disk/tape section)
Dodge Car (Mega Cart - extras section)

Judging from my list, the answer would be tape games, but I don't really think of VIC-20 gaming in terms of a tape/cartridge distinction. If I like a game, I play it. If I don't like a game, I don't play it.

Having said that, I enjoy loading games from tape. I love being greeted by the VIC screen, putting my tape in and waiting for the datasette to upload the game image. You just don't get the same intimacy with a cartridge.
formater
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by formater »

Type-in games was and are my favourites. Why?, because this games has the real spirit of the old computers, a time with no difference between programmers and users, a time with really original games, no matter graphics, great playability.

I remember how all the people share your routines with all the people, the magazines plentys of programs for type (and correct) and I think who this programs are better than actual ones no matter graphics, no matter sizes, no matter perfection of programing.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Omega Race is a cartridge game, so... there you have the answer...
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Commercially and Independently released TAPE games for me. That's mainly to do with nostalgia I think. I also took the independent part of that choice to mean 'recent' games out on the scene as I have copied my faves over onto tape as a compilation. These include Dragon Wing, Whack-e and the classic Blue Star (which, of course, got a tape release). :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

Loderunner, Shamus, MoonPatrol
bokvamme
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by bokvamme »

Commercially and Independently released TAPE games
vic20tapes.org - preservation of vic20 tapes.