New Vic20 games at cartridges..

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Mikam73
2049er

New Vic20 games at cartridges..

Post by Mikam73 »

I wonder why there is not new produced Vic20 games sold at cartridges..

They sell Vectrex games..
http://www.vectrexcarts.com/

Games like Tetris would be great as cartridge release.. 8)
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

My guess is probably the cost. No, not of making Vic20 carts, but playing Vectrex BINs on the console; you need either a VecRAM plus PC, or a VecFlash, both of which cost about $75 each. Buying the carts themselves at lower cost ($10 or so) works out better for most people.

Whereas with the Vic20, you get a download, you can play on a real machine if you have a simple cable to transfer over from PC...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
AndyH
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by AndyH »

Hi Mayhem - have you got some info on how to link a PC to the Vic? I don't suppose you can do the same for a C64 too can you?
--
AndyH
HEWCO | Vic 20 blog
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

AndyH wrote:Hi Mayhem - have you got some info on how to link a PC to the Vic? I don't suppose you can do the same for a C64 too can you?
Mayhem might have some other recommendations, but 64HDD lets you use your DOS PC as a hard drive for your C64, and it also has a VIC20 mode!

Or if you just want to transfer disks, you have several options such as Star Commander or OpenCBM. These work for both C64 and VIC.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Yeah I was just refering to connecting a drive up to the PC and running StarCom. Quick, easy and costs less than $15 for the cable. With the Vectrex, you need something solid state to be able to play the BIN files by comparison, and either option costs a lot more money.

Having said that, I'd certainly not complain about having new Vic20 releases on cartridge if they took advantage of the technology for example (multiload etc).
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I have a couple of unpopulated cartridge boards that take 2x4K EPROMs. One day I'm considering getting or borrowing someone else's burner. Then I can make a few custom cartridges in very low quantity. For someone with the right skills and equipment, it probably isn't rocket science to make your own circuit boards - I believe some people from the AtariAge scene offered to help if nobody in the VIC-20 scene had the right skills. But as Mayhem writes, the requirement to release on physical cartridge isn't as immediate on the VIC scene when you can load programs from tape, disk, via 64HDD or tons of other methods. Making your own cartridges might be cool and somewhat collectable, but unless it is an utility cartridge like Schema's collaborate Denial effort, it is more of a novelty than a neccessity.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

I can understand the point. Cartridge games werent so popolar even when Vic20 was new, course those those were expensive. Carts are just easy and fast use.

But how about selling Vic20 software at disc then..

Protovision does sell games for C64 and most people did copy/warez games for C64 at 80s. Ofcourse C64 scene is bigger than.. (Dont throw those rocks.. :wink: ) Vic20 scene, but..

http://www.protovision-online.de/games/gamesstart.htm

Still Vic20 Tetris cartridge would just be so cool.. With box, manual colorful label at cartridge..

By the way.. Whats latest Vic20 (game)cartridge? Any idea? :?
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I believe Cronosoft and perhaps some more try to sell VIC-20 software as well, nowadays a few months as exclusive release and then available as downloadable file for those who are not interested in a nice package.

When it comes to Tetris implementations, I would hesitate for a while before packaging it and sell. The rightful owners to the Tetris "patent" (or how to call it) were quite hostile at least in the late 1990's towards people and companies selling unlicensed Tetris clones for different systems. Maybe things are different today, but it is a bit of a minefield if one doesn't look it up.

I don't know if any homebrewn game so far was sold in cartridge form, perhaps in small scale. The last commercial game should be from 1984 or possibly early 1985. According to the 2001 cartridge list (which may exist in an updated copy at Mayhem?), the last few 1984 releases were:

Atarisoft: Galaxian, Jungle Hunt
Tymac: D'Fuse
Xonox: Motocross Racer, Tomarc the Barbarian

Among the rumoured games were Save New York (Creative Software) and Nightstrike (TG Software), both mentioned in computer press in January or early 1985. The cartridge list also discussed nbla's favourite game, Salmon Run. While maybe that title never was considered in cartridge form, some other games from Showcase/Synapse Software seemed to be. Considering how much seems squeezed into Salmon Run, it would be more worthy as a cartridge release than many of the other contemporary games.
Anders Carlsson

eslapion
ultimate expander

Re: New Vic20 games at cartridges..

Post by eslapion »

Mikam73 wrote:I wonder why there is not new produced Vic20 games sold at cartridges...
I am trying to get Carlsson to release M.U.L.E. as a 32k cartridge... Help me all!
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I am trying to get myself to write at least the routine to display all properties of a plot of land.

By the way, eslapion already sells memory expansions. I'm sure it would be a piece of cake for him to make circuit boards with only EPROM (or Flash RAM or whatever he uses), 8-16-24-32K per board. One only needs some good game one wants to publish in cartridge form.
Anders Carlsson

Mikam73
2049er

Re: New Vic20 games at cartridges..

Post by Mikam73 »

eslapion wrote:
Mikam73 wrote:I wonder why there is not new produced Vic20 games sold at cartridges...
I am trying to get Carlsson to release M.U.L.E. as a 32k cartridge... Help me all!
Maybe you should make vote about it... :D

'M.U.L.E. cartridge, Yes please' 8)