6560's?

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

Poly-poly man
Vic 20 Newbie

6560's?

Post by Poly-poly man »

There are a lot of us who don't want to buy a new vic-20 just for our 6560 (ntsc VIC chip, duh) that we accidentally overheated. If anyone has an old ntsc vic-20 that has a working 6560, I definitely need one.

I'll be very careful with this one.

poly-p man
eslapion
ultimate expander

Re: 6560's?

Post by eslapion »

Poly-poly man wrote:There are a lot of us who don't want to buy a new vic-20 just for our 6560 (ntsc VIC chip, duh) that we accidentally overheated. If anyone has an old ntsc vic-20 that has a working 6560, I definitely need one.

poly-p man
I just mailed you one on monday!
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Poly-poly man wrote:There are a lot of us who don't want to buy a new vic-20 just for our 6560 (ntsc VIC chip, duh) that we accidentally overheated. If anyone has an old ntsc vic-20 that has a working 6560, I definitely need one.

poly-p man
Just curious....how does one "accidentally" overheat a VIC chip? I ask because I want to avoid doing the same....
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

ral-clan wrote:Just curious....how does one "accidentally" overheat a VIC chip? I ask because I want to avoid doing the same....
On all VICs, the video chip is encased in a small metal box to shield it from EMI. However, on older VICs there is a 5V regulator which produced a lot of heat.

The combined thermal obstruction of the metal box along with the extra heat produced by the regulator contributes to making the video chip exposed to much higher temparature for as long as the VIC is ON, thereby considerably reducing it's life span.

I guess back in 1981-1984 when they expected everyone to just throw their VICs in a dumpster after a few years of play, it didn't make much difference. Today, with 25 years old machines, it's another matter.

In the commodore 64, the video chip produced even more heat and it became a concern. A metal tab was therefore added to the shielding metal box of the C64 video chip to allow the heat from the chip to be transmitted to the case and dissipated outside.

In my own VIC, I removed the cover from the metal box and placed a heat sink specifically designed for 40 pin DIP chips on the 6560. With this configuration, the 6560 has no life span limit and will only stop working if damaged physically or by static electricity.

The effects of leaving open the metal shield on the sensitivity of the VIC to it's EM environment is negligible.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

eslapion wrote: In my own VIC, I removed the cover from the metal box and placed a heat sink specifically designed for 40 pin DIP chips on the 6560. With this configuration, the 6560 has no life span limit and will only stop working if damaged physically or by static electricity.

The effects of leaving open the metal shield on the sensitivity of the VIC to it's EM environment is negligible.
Well then, I'll remove the metal lid from my VIC's metal box too (I've already opened it to tweak the pots once). But I don't have an appropriate heat sink. I do have spare heat sinks from a Pentium chip, and some heat conductive grease. I wonder if there would be any way to cut this heat sink to match the VIC chip and affix it with some sort of nylon thread to "tie" it on.
Poly-poly man
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Poly-poly man »

eslapion wrote:

poly-p man
I just mailed you one on monday!
Thanks. You never pm'ed me back... :oops:

poly-p man
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Poly-poly man wrote:
eslapion wrote:I just mailed you one on monday!
Thanks. You never pm'ed me back... :oops:

poly-p man
This option is only available on luxury items :wink: