Which new games would you like to see on your VIC20?

Discuss anything related to the VIC

please vote for a categorie, see examples in brackets

jump and run (super mario, giana sisters)
40%
run and shoot (rambo)
16%
card-games (poker)
No votes
puzzles (sokoban, tetris)
4%
adventures (text-adventures and other)
4%
board-games (chess, reversi)
No votes
simulations (sim city, hamurabi)
29%
3d games (duke nukem)
7%

Total votes: 45

Thomas Hechelhammer
Vic 20 Dabbler

Which new games would you like to see on your VIC20?

Post by Thomas Hechelhammer »

I think it's time for more great games on the vic20, using all capabilities of gfx and sound.

Of course some games which still exist on other platforms.

First, please give a vote for the categorie.
I hope I've catched most of them.

Second, please write down your ideas which games are still missing on this platform.
If possible, add a link to a screenshot.

Let me start with giana-sisters aka Super Mario on C64.

With precalculated sprite-characters (Giana) I think it could be done. But pixel-soft-scrolling of the map-image would be impossible.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

A well playing intelligent backgammon.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Cheers.
I vote for... simulations. Better: for turn-based strategy. I think that simple Sim-City or Civilization-like games could be done with the proper amount of RAM (16K would do the job).

I'm not a programmer, though my passion for strategy games led me about 10 years ago to write a deeper, more history-wise game similar to Annals of Rome (http://www.crashonline.org.uk/38/annals.htm) in GWBASIC for DOS.
It was only 24K; in these very days, I'm thinking about trying to port it to a VIC-20 with 16K RAM. It would be VERY difficult for me, as I never programmed on a CBM computer :oops: .
Graphics of the Empire map would be the most difficult part for me. I tried with PETASCII graphics, resulting in a blocky and unreadable mess.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

But I would rather want something that uses the vic chip to its full potential, and that would maybe be a nice looking platform game...
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

But I would rather want something that uses the vic chip to its full potential
I agree: the best way to fully exploit VIC's 6502 potential is to squeeze a good action game out of it.

But my point of view was to have something entertaining for the long winter nights, when all you want is your VIC, a strategic manual and a good cup of tea. :wink:
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

GWBASIC for DOS.
It was only 24K; in these very days, I'm thinking about trying to port it to a VIC-20 with 16K RAM. It would be VERY difficult for me, as I never programmed on a CBM computer Embarassed .
I don't think you would find it very difficult.

If you know one version of BASIC, it is very easy to get used to another version.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with your results if you gave it a shot.

Good luck!
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

orion70 wrote:
But I would rather want something that uses the vic chip to its full potential
I agree: the best way to fully exploit VIC's 6502 potential is to squeeze a good action game out of it.

But my point of view was to have something entertaining for the long winter nights, when all you want is your VIC, a strategic manual and a good cup of tea. :wink:
...And my remark was aimed at my own suggestion, not yours. (Look at the times) Sorry for the confusion...
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

And my remark was aimed at my own suggestion, not yours
Ooops. True. Sorry. But the problem persists: I'm looking for a nice strategy game for VIC before Xmas... :roll:
If you know one version of BASIC, it is very easy to get used to another version. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with your results if you gave it a shot.
What's scaring me is the differences in graphics management. GWBASIC had a strong point in simple commands for line drawing, filling colors etc, whereas CBM BASIC V2 only has a plethora of POKEs and DATA which are frankly disencouraging.

PS- Sorry Thomas, this was a bit OT. To get IT again: does a VIC version of this notorious turn-based strategy program exist? :wink:

Thomas Hechelhammer
Vic 20 Dabbler

orion70 wrote: PS- Sorry Thomas, this was a bit OT. To get IT again: does a VIC version of this notorious turn-based strategy program exist? :wink:

AFAIK Archon exists only for the following platforms:

C64, Amiga, NES, ZXSpectrum, Atari800, Apple II and Amstrad CPC.

The game was developed in 1983, and so probably not developed for the vic20 because the c64 market grew more and more.

It wouldn't be the big issue to port it down to the vic20 because both processors are code-compatible.
You will "only" have to adapt the display and analyse the computer-human interface in the game code...

The game needs about 44k as TAP-image.

-- Thomas
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

...so, it should be shrinked by *more than half*!. A big effort in this sense, isn't it? But perhaps, playing around with sounds and animation, it can be done.

What do our Denial Forum experts say? Anyone to fly in the face of this task :shock: ?
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

orion70 wrote:...so, it should be shrinked by *more than half*!. A big effort in this sense, isn't it? But perhaps, playing around with sounds and animation, it can be done.

What do our Denial Forum experts say? Anyone to fly in the face of this task :shock: ?
You wouldn't have to shrink it so much if it was made for the 32k expander...

On another note... I would love to see M.U.L.E. for the VIC.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I have no idea how tight coded e.g. Archon is. Probably one could develop a simplified mini version, if nothing else. Personally, there is another contemporary turn-based Electronic Arts game that is closer to my heart... one that takes place on planet Irata. :-)

Jump'n'run games not only need software sprites, they need scrolling too. Certainly it can be doable in text resolution with some VIC tricks and timing. 3D games pretty much smell bitmapped graphics which tend to cost a lot of memory and in most cases are dog slow on a C64. All the other categories don't pursue any technical difficulties per se, but of course it depends on the implementation.

A caveat: you usually don't dictate what other people should put their spare time into. Of course you can make wishes or inspire someone, but in the end it appears to be personal satisfaction that determines which new software gets developed. Sometimes it appears the community doesn't even notice new developments, which makes it even more into a business of personal joy or not.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Thomas Hechelhammer
Vic 20 Dabbler

eslapion wrote:
On another note... I would love to see M.U.L.E. for the VIC.
M.U.L.E. eats up a lot of memory, too.
I've looked into the d64-image, it eats up about 52 k but this includes intro and gameplay.

However, I'm not the friend of those emulations, I like more the fast and quick jump and run games. :D

@carlsson
you usually don't dictate what other people should put their spare time into. Of course you can make wishes or inspire someone, but in the end it appears to be personal satisfaction that determines which new software gets developed.
For sure you are right with your opinion. I've started this poll to see what kind of games the community would like to see on their toy.
Between our 447 registered users we'll have for sure some talented coders, so probably this will give them some inspirations.

And, I forgot one genre: maze-games like bomberman, zzap and super-alien.

Too bad I cannot edit the poll. :(

Regards, Thomas
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

orion70 wrote:
PS- Sorry Thomas, this was a bit OT. To get IT again: does a VIC version of this notorious turn-based strategy program exist? :wink:

Whoah! ARCHON was one of my all time favourite C64 games. Would love to see that on the VIC!
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

The VIC-20 really needs some turn-based squad combat games, like the ones made by SSI for the Commodore 64. These shouldn't be a problem on the VIC-20. Easier if made on a square grid map than a hex-grid.

One day if I get the time....!

A good WWII turn-based game where you control a squad of soldiers confronting another squad in an urban (buildings, trees) environment....