28 pin to 24 pin ROM adapters

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

eslapion
ultimate expander

28 pin to 24 pin ROM adapters

Post by eslapion »

At least 2 people so far have indicated they would be interested in having 28 pin (2764 pattern) adapters for 24 pin sockets.

Schema even indicated he would want half a dozen of them.

Is there anyone else interested in having these?

I am considering having a large batch made at AP Circuits. The board have no silkscreening or conformal coating which makes them very low cost. http://www.apcircuits.com/

However, consider the tooling fee alone is 60$ so I suppose a minimum of 100 of these would be required to make it worthwhile.

The bigger the order, the lower the final "per unit" cost.
Alan
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Alan »

I suppose a half dozen or so would be fine for me, maybe more if they're cheap enough.
Alan
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

I'll ask around with the other Commodore tinkerers in Toronto, and if there's enough interest I could buy a big batch and pass them on to others.
KilrPilr
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by KilrPilr »

any rough idea on a per piece price? I would prolly get a few dozen if they were $2 or 3$ a piece. Even more if they are less.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

KilrPilr wrote:any rough idea on a per piece price? I would prolly get a few dozen if they were $2 or 3$ a piece. Even more if they are less.
I expect if we order at least 100 of them the cost will be 2$ apiece or less.
Alan
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Alan »

eslapion wrote:I expect if we order at least 100 of them the cost will be 2$ apiece or less.
For that price, you could count on me for a dozen.
Alan
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

APCircuits indicates a total bill of 207$ u.s. for an order of 100 units.

I suppose shipping and taxes are not included.

Any more volunteers ?
Alan
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Alan »

eslapion wrote:APCircuits indicates a total bill of 207$ u.s. for an order of 100 units.

I suppose shipping and taxes are not included.

Any more volunteers ?
Maybe this is something that should be posted on Lemon64, comp.sys.cbm, or one of the other Commodore 64 forums. I imagine there are plenty more enthusiasts out there who would be interested in getting in on this.
Alan
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

me

Post by dragos »

count me in for about a dozen at least!!!
KilrPilr
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by KilrPilr »

At $2 a piece i would take 50. If the price can be lowered even more with a large order, i may consider spending more. But count on me for 50 anyway.
wizardnj
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by wizardnj »

Count me in for about 20 if possible also.

Thanks

:)
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

I think it's clear we will need more than 100 of them.

An order of 150 will make the total cost 300.86$ u.s. for a price per unit of 2.01$u.s.

Please contact me all via messenger so we can arrange money transfers.

The PCBs are 1/16" in thickness and do not have legs or any other special features or components.

I need you all to tell me if you prefer to have the traces on the top side, bottom side or both for redundancy. This does not affect the price.

Thank you all for your interest.
Last edited by eslapion on Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
KilrPilr
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by KilrPilr »

eslapion wrote:I think it's clear we will need more than 100 of them.

An order of 150 will make the total cost 287.35$ u.s. for a price per unit of 1.92$u.s.

If you can get the price down to $1.50/ board, ill take 100 of them. :)

eslapion wrote:Please contact me all via messenger so we can arrange money transfers.

The PCBs are 1/16" in thickness and do not have legs or any other special features or components.
But they do have all the soldering spots and are wired to allow a 27xx to be used in place of a 23xx?

eslapion wrote:I need you all to tell me if you prefer to have the traces on the top side, bottom side or both for redundancy. This does not affect the price.

Thank you all for your interest.
I would think that if the traces were on the bottom and the eprom is on the top and u wanted to do a little modification, it would be much better than the eprom sitting on top of the traces. I really dont know tho if that would be the best idea. Maybe someone else has thoughts on this?

also where is the best/cheapest place to buy the legs for the board? i have a pile of sockets already but no legs. Maybe ill check ebay.

Let me know ur paypal address and if you can do the $1.50 /board and ill get you paid. No rush though. Try to get as many people in on this as possible. I am asking people on IRC newnet #cbm8 if anyone wants some as well. You should come and join the channel eslapion (as well anyone else who would like to chat real time)
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Awrite, traces on the bottom it will be with 2 jumper pads to allow you to put switches, resistors and special configs.

I await your payment via paypal here: eslapion@videotron.ca

If in 2 weeks I haven't got enough payments to pass the order, I refund those who sent money.

Make sure in the comment section you specify this is for a 28 to 24 pin adapter for eproms.

and show your amount calculations (XX adapters x 2.01$=XXX$)

Calculate 10$ for shipping in Canada, 12$ for shipping in the U.S.
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

I hope you'll consider having a vendor table at the World of Commodore (assuming you're still coming) to sell all this neat stuff you're making!