I need an RF modulator

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

I need an RF modulator

Post by Jeff-20 »

I need maybe even more than one. They seem to give out quickly. Paypal.
Alan
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Alan »

I assume you're talking about a VIC RF modulator. The Cincinnati Commodore Computer Club has them for 1.50 + shipping.

http://www.geocities.com/c64-128-amiga/sale/acc.txt
Alan
Jaicen
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by Jaicen »

Or you could just make up an A/V cable like I have and get better picture without the hassle ;)
Alan
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Alan »

Jaicen wrote:Or you could just make up an A/V cable like I have and get better picture without the hassle ;)
An A/V cable definitely looks a million times better than the RF modulator.
Alan
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

I have a couple of original VIC modulators here I could sell for 2$ apiece but I also saw a cheap "external" modulator for 12$ at Addisson.

I never managed to kill one of these things. You must have accomplished some exploit or you have a serious grounding problem.

The external is a new piece of equipment with its own 120v internal supply. It works with anything, not just the VIC.
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

I have several RF modulators collecting dust.

I'll send you a couple, just need to have postage covered.

Send me a PM if interested.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I don't see any reason for using one, unless you have a really old TV without any video input...
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Would the same AV cable for the 64 work? If so, anyone have one of those to spare?
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Most of the time, the AV cable for the 64 has an 8 pin DIN conector which will not fit on a VIC.

A VIC AV cable almost always fits on a 64 but the opposite is usually not true.

I just made a VIC AV cable for a friend using a cheap 5 pin DIN connector you can buy at The Source and 2 RCA jacks. The VIC original manual will tell you the proper pinout. It is also in the VIC20 Programmer's reference guide.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I got my modulator today! THANKS CHRIS!

I am colorblind, so I may be wrong, but have you ever noticed that the colors seem different depending on the modulator model?
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I think the biggest difference lies in if it is an original or CR revision. The video chip however doesn't matter. Recently I tried to swap a 6561-101 and a 6561E, but the colours and stripes on screen were the same when used in the same motherboard (but not existing on the other type of motherboard). Probably it is the surrounding components that make the difference.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image