Music Project

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Your link for "Midnight Hour" doesn't work...
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Alan
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Alan »

Boray wrote:Your link for "Midnight Hour" doesn't work...
DOH! I must have deleted it somehow. Just take my word for it: it's really good and I sound just like Wilson Pickett :roll:
Alan
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Alan unintentionally brought this idea back to life... I am still excited about the idea.
Alan
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Alan »

Jeff-20 wrote:Alan unintentionally brought this idea back to life... I am still excited about the idea.
Sounds like fun, but I'm wondering still what you have in mind. Would each musician contribute something original? Is there a theme? Original songs about VIC games, etc. in the vein of "pacman fever"? Remakes of classic C= music?

Or are we just compiling a CD of whatever members want to contribute?

I know a lot of Denial members are into electronic music--- I'm a traditional guitar/drum/bass guy, so is there room for me too?
Alan
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

We don't really need a hard theme. I wouldn't really want the VIC (or retro computers) to be the center of the idea either. I just think it is convenient that we already have a sense of community established.

I am thinking of an actual "band". I could start a private forum section for members, and we could discuss our potential contributions, vote on ideas, and put together a complete "package". By that I mean, develop a group persona and collaborate on music. A song could be independently produced or started by one individual and "passed" to another.

With our combined resources (international connections, promoting, combined equipment), we could really have a powerful effort. We all have varied backgrounds as writers, programmers, musicians, etc. To be honest, I was thinking electronic because of the nature of the forum, but I am open to discussions.

My music tends to sound "artsy" mixed with early kraftwerk (unless I really try for melody and it sounds like house :roll: ). Scheme's is very dark and industrial. Others have classical and pop tunes... If anyone of us started a seed and let the others build on it, we could have some very interesting mixtures. Electronic musicians tend to shy away from vocals, so a traditional musician could help balance that out. We have everything from formally trained composers to noise hobbyist among us.

With our combined programming skills, we could design a cool page taking advantage of our visual artists. With our combined internet prescence, we could promote the heck out of it and circulate MP3s.

I don't think it would be too time consuming considering the number of contributors.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I'm in of course. I can contribute both graphic art and music (electronic and real instruments). I have a home recording studio too.
aneurysm
not your PAL

Post by aneurysm »

rork
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by rork »

ral-clan wrote:I'm in of course. I can contribute both graphic art and music (electronic and real instruments). I have a home recording studio too.
I'm in, too! If there's anything I can be useful for... :? Can't contribute graphics-wise and I don't have a studio, but I play the guitar, so perhaps...

Incidentally, motivated by Centalica's reference to Death Metal in another thread, I was going to start a poll about the Denial's members' music tastes. I myself have been a metal-head for the past 20+ years, but I listen to all different kinds of music as well. I'm sure that we could create and interesting and diverse masterpiece together. :D
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Rork....if you start a music poll, make sure you make it diverse as possible. I hate those polls that ask me if I like:

a) rock
b) country
c) jazz
d) pop
e) classical

...as if those are the only musical genres out there.

I have a huge range of tastes, but I listen to a lot of traditional Irish/Scots/Celtic music, and other "world" music.
rork
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by rork »

ral-clan wrote:Rork....if you start a music poll, make sure you make it diverse as possible.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too. I didn't want to limit anybody. Therefore, I've decided to leave it descriptive and open-ended, so everybody can be as specific as they want to be.

Anyways, you can find the "poll" here. Enjoy! :)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

:!: How about every interested individual act as an independent producer for a song, soliciting the help of any of the other individuals as he sees fit? The producer is soley in charge of his song and must direct and make use of at least one other member. Then all projects will be combined for a complete CD.

Of course, for a sense of continuity we could establish a list of aesthetic goals or guidelines to establish a common ground or personality. Check out the dogma00 rules! :lol:

Arbitrary rules might include a random 8bit sample to occur at least once in every song. Or every song must be under 2 minutes. Or even a common drum sound or common voice when vocals are used.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

How about we at least have one sound per song generated by the VIC-20? I'm not a VIC-tracker expert, but I think I can at least get it to generate a drumline or a bassline to use under live material.

As for the dogma00 rules: I just read them. Some of them appeal to me (the use of low-tech, low cost items). But I'm not really a follower of non-melodic a-tonal music....I don't know if we should restrict people's styles here (i.e. it might be a bit hard for a guitar player on this project to try to suddenly adapt to those rules). I'm not a fan of the idea of the whole philosophy of users interfacing with machines (i.e. I don't like to be borgified). I am more interested to see low-tech devices co-operate with organic, real instruments.

I realise, Jeff, that you were not suggesting we wholly follow the dogma00 rules. I like the idea of a general set of guidelines though, so keep some sort of common thread through the tracks.
Jaicen
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by Jaicen »

I vote for at least a sample of the Vic to be used. That way the songs all have a unified theme.
Even better, for those that are really serious you could get a copy of Prophet64 and put some SID'ness on too.
That's my plan at least!
Alan
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Alan »

I agree, we should include real VIC music somewhere in the tune. That would tie this in to Denial, and I think it would make it more interesting for our members to listen to.

I'm kind of excited about this!
Alan
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

The dogma00 this was a joke both on my part and, I think, their's. I am pretty sure it is a Finnish practical joke. It would seem that they are making fun of the Danish Dogme 95 movement in film. The hexidecimal rule list is hillarious to me!

Some of you may not know, but I am also an author. The Dogme 95 scene is part of a recent trend to revive legit movements in the arts and has extended in some ways to literature. The idea of creating a rule list to sync with one another may be something we should consider.

I'll start a Manifesto/"Constitution" thread.
Last edited by Jeff-20 on Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.