Whatsssss up everyone!!!

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Centallica
Pinballer

Whatsssss up everyone!!!

Post by Centallica »

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been around here much lately as I've been busy with other hobbies but have given my Commodore line-up higher priority now in my gameroom (oppose to the bare basement floor) with future plans to get more involved with them :D

Big changes in my other hobby (pinball) as I had 3 in the gameroom before along with my MAME cabinet but wanted to take it to a higher level with newer pins but at $3-$4000 each just couldn't afford it. So sold old Rudy and have the other 2 going to be up for sale soon....

I added my favorite movie themed pin Lord of the Rings Home use by Doug Gilmour former Toronto Maple Leaf...it kicks ass! Keepin Mame and CBM line-up as shown here.........

http://guystuff.fanspace.com/photo2.html

Can't wait to indulge into CBM :P

The other big news that's been keeping me busy :D is my wife is expecting our son James Spencer in September 8)

So that's my news of what's been happening and it's great to see some new names to the board too!!!

Brian
hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by hawk »

Nice layout in the games room. I, like you, have other hobbies which distract me from retro computing. These include control line model aeroplanes, and wooden boat building. You can imagine what it is like for me to share my shed with all those hobbies. I'm in the process of trying to improve my own shed layout, and expand the desk space available to my computers. I'm interested in more than just Commodores, and some consoles as well. My mind is _really_ crowded at the moment! :?

When I finish my boat, I'd like to make a Mame cab for the corner of the shed. We'll see.

--
So many projects...so little time.
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

Hawk,

Are the planes with motors or just models? Wooden boats at what scale...full size or models?

I get re-energized by rotating from hobby to hobby as I get restless/bored easily :oops: Must be Adult ADD or something :D

Mame cab building was a fun project:
http://guystuff.fanspace.com/photo.html
I gotta update my ROMS soon to get the newer games like Metal Slug 4 and 5 ! :P

Brian
hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by hawk »

The Planes have motors - about 5 - 6 cc. I fly control line stunt or precision aerobatics with them.

The boat is a 12' sailing dinghy, made using plywood and epoxy lapstrake. That means it has planks, but they're glued with epoxy, rather than the traditional roves'n'rivets. Makes for an interesting project.

I agree with the rotating of hobbies. The only problem I have is funding them all. :wink:

If this forum had some storage, I could post some pictures. Maybe I'll edit this post later from home.[/img]
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

Congrats Brian to you and your wife!! Need any Daddy tips, let me know! :wink:

We should have another retro-game night at your place sometime. Summer is good since we go past your house to the cottage anyway.

Also, I have a bunch of VIC stuff to return to you, I haven't forgotten, just busy! (Like you soon will be!) :D
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

Leif,

Definitely welcome to drop by on your way up here :D

Just let me know when you're heading this way and we'll play a few games and talk daddy talk :lol:

Still kicking I had guests for World of Commodore in Dec here, man would of have like to have gone :evil:

Brian
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

i don't know about you brian, but once the nice weather came back, i have been doing little if any vic'ing around.

it seems to be a cold weather hobby for me.

The other big news that's been keeping me busy Very Happy is my wife is expecting our son James Spencer in September Cool
ultrasound or psychic? ;)
d0c
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by d0c »

i looked at your mame arcade cabin, and the screen was horrible little. shouldnt you at least fit a 24" screen in there, to get the orginally size output from the arcade games...
1983 vic20 & 3k-16k ram expansion....
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

vic user wrote:i don't know about you brian, but once the nice weather came back, i have been doing little if any vic'ing around. it seems to be a cold weather hobby for me.
For me, in the evenings after work any time of the year is good for me, I get restless/bored sitting outside and the wife is too wobbley to walk to far also :D )
ultrasound or psychic? ;)
We had the 20 week ultrasound done and wanted to know the sex (so I could paint the blue vic-20 instead of a pink one and find a little stool for the pinball machine too) :P

Brian
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

d0c wrote:i looked at your mame arcade cabin, and the screen was horrible little. shouldnt you at least fit a 24" screen in there, to get the orginally size output from the arcade games...

The plans are for a cabaret size cabinet and if I wanted to use a 24" screen, I would of used plans to accomodate one....this size screen works great and haven't had any complains with who ever has played it yet :D

You got a 24" screen in yours? Lets see some pics!

Brian
Lozza
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Lozza »

i'd love a mame cab, 2 player would be enough, definitely do not have the patience to put one together ! good onya for sticking at it
oi oi saveloy
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

Lozza wrote:i'd love a mame cab, 2 player would be enough, definitely do not have the patience to put one together ! good onya for sticking at it
You could also convert an old arcade cabinet instead of building one from scratch. The only thing is that they're huge and heavy (cocktail table is an idea though). My design has wheels underneath to rollaround :wink:

Nice top 10 list you got there for vic-20 games too Lozza!! I got lots of playin to do myself now 8)

Brian
telengard
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by telengard »

Centallica wrote:
Lozza wrote:i'd love a mame cab, 2 player would be enough, definitely do not have the patience to put one together ! good onya for sticking at it
You could also convert an old arcade cabinet instead of building one from scratch. The only thing is that they're huge and heavy (cocktail table is an idea though). My design has wheels underneath to rollaround :wink:

Nice top 10 list you got there for vic-20 games too Lozza!! I got lots of playin to do myself now 8)

Brian
That's what I did, convert an existing one. I have a 19" monitor in mine which is the std size of arcade games (the early ones). Wheels to roll around is a great idea! Mine was a little too short so I built a sort of stand for it. Should have thought of the wheels. :)

Love that "blue mermaid" too. I also am a pinball enthusiast but don't have the room. I would loooove to have a Cyclone and High Speed. The only table I currently have is BK2K.

My cab is here:

http://users.adelphia.net/~bsturk/mame.html

I also have pics of my comp room w/ all the 8 bit stuff there if folks are interested.

http://users.adelphia.net/~bsturk/8bit.html

~telengard
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

telengard wrote:
Centallica wrote:

Brian
That's what I did, convert an existing one. I have a 19" monitor in mine which is the std size of arcade games (the early ones). Wheels to roll around is a great idea! Mine was a little too short so I built a sort of stand for it. Should have thought of the wheels. :)

Love that "blue mermaid" too. I also am a pinball enthusiast but don't have the room. I would loooove to have a Cyclone and High Speed. The only table I currently have is BK2K.

My cab is here:

I also have pics of my comp room w/ all the 8 bit stuff there if folks are interested.

~telengard
telengard,

Nice MAME set-up!! The Williams Defender/Stargate sideart is one of my favorite stencil paint jobs from Williams of the time :D

Nice tie-in with customizing the name of your cab too!

My 1st MAME cabinet was actually a Defender Cocktail turned Mappy and I painted it black to hide the green/pink control panels and woodgrain sides that were badly beaten up!

Quite the 8 Bit collection too :shock:

Cyclone is a great game for the era (ramps are usually busted and flags are lost on that game) and High Speed while very popular for the day, is a bit simple compared to the play of the newer stuff (for longevity of a keeper).

Brian
telengard
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by telengard »

Centallica wrote:
telengard wrote:
Centallica wrote: You could also convert an old arcade cabinet instead of building one from scratch. The only thing is that they're huge and heavy (cocktail table is an idea though). My design has wheels underneath to rollaround :wink:

Brian

My cab is here:

~telengard
telengard,

Nice MAME set-up!! The Williams Defender/Stargate sideart is one of my favorite stencil paint jobs from Williams of the time :D

Nice tie-in with customizing the name of your cab too!

My 1st MAME cabinet was actually a Defender Cocktail turned Mappy and I painted it black to hide the green/pink control panels and woodgrain sides that were badly beaten up!

Quite the 8 Bit collection too :shock:

Cyclone is a great game for the era (ramps are usually busted and flags are lost on that game) and High Speed while very popular for the day, is a bit simple compared to the play of the newer stuff (for longevity of a keeper).

Brian
Sounds like a cool cocktail. Playing defender is tough enough, can't imagine playing it on a cocktal. :)

I agree w/ you on the simple gameplay. I would probably be bored w/ High Speed pretty quick if I owned it. BK2K keeps me entertained because there's a lot going on and it's a little more of a challenge. I just have a soft spot for those 2 pins. If $$ were no object I'd probably grab a Medeval Madness also. :)

Added a C64C and 1541II to my collection today as well as other goodies I got through a freecycle posting. I'm reaching the limits of what I can store in that room.

~telengard