Commodore IEC compatible sampler?

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

carlsson
Class of '6502

Commodore IEC compatible sampler?

Post by carlsson »

eBay auction wrote:Vintage Commodore disc drive ideal for your old commodore computer or hooking up with your old sampler like the (E-Mu) sp 1200. In average condition.
http://cgi.ebay.com/COMMODORE-1541-DISC ... dZViewItem

It made me curious, and it turns out the SP12 sampler can be connected to a 1541, while the SP1200 had a built-in floppy. Daisy-chaining floppies is not possible when used with the sampler though. I have a faint memory of some home-made/laboratory Z80 (?) systems from East Europe that also implemented the IEC bus and used 1541 disk drives. Since they have their own logic and everything, maybe it is a very powerful (albeit slow) device to incorporate in your own projects. In the case of E-Mu systems, I suppose they obtained a license from Commodore to implement the bus. Would it mean that this sampler also should work with 1581 or even MSD floppy drives, unless they use direct track access (non-Commodore file structure) to control the drive?
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I would love to get my hands on an SP 1200. I never thought it would come into conversation here.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.