VIC-20 with IEEE-488

Discuss anything related to the VIC
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

carlsson wrote:I could probably pick up 2-3 more bare boards
Now I have picked up all there was, plus a few empty shells for the boards to be placed in. I will test the interfaces tomorrow, and populate with 6522s as far as I have access.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

awesome

Post by dragos »

WOW! cool!! I have more than my share of 6522 chips if you are in short supply. I am really anxious now ;)
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

carlsson wrote:
carlsson wrote:I could probably pick up 2-3 more bare boards
Now I have picked up all there was, plus a few empty shells for the boards to be placed in. I will test the interfaces tomorrow, and populate with 6522s as far as I have access.
Good News! Thanks for the effort.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I ended up with five interfaces, of which two are populated with 6522 VIAs and the other three are not. All five were tested OK with temporary chips.

Tonight I have sent the first one (w/o 6522 chips) to Dragos, leaving four more: Brent (ral-clan), Leo (KilrPilr) and Jan in Germany. Anyone else or someone I forgot?

Price:
10 USD (11 CAD) for an interface without VIAs.
15 USD (17 CAD) for an interface including VIAs.
Shipping is 7 USD (8 CAD) per interface.

Dragos made an inofficial offer to anyone who buys one of these interfaces without 6522 chips to send two for postage costs.

E-mail me with your preference and address, and I can send the interfaces during this week. Amusingly, I had to fill in a toll declaration for sending (stuffed) letters outside the European Union. I suppose there will not be any issues with the customs, although I wonder how many over there know what IEEE-488 or VIC-20 is. :-D I also wrote "vintage computing".
Anders Carlsson

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

By the way, does anyone have a pdf, text-file or a scan of the manual for the vic IEEE-488 interface?
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I don't have one, and I'm not sure if this Handic product is related to the VIC-1112 by Commodore.

Basically, you SYS 45056 and there you go; the device numbers normally assigned by the IEC bus are allocated to the IEEE interface. I'm not sure if you need more of a manual than that. RUN/STOP + RESTORE to restore the vectors.
Anders Carlsson

wizardnj
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by wizardnj »

I'll Take one if you have any left. let me know :D
KilrPilr
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by KilrPilr »

carlsson wrote:I ended up with five interfaces, of which two are populated with 6522 VIAs and the other three are not. All five were tested OK with temporary chips.

Tonight I have sent the first one (w/o 6522 chips) to Dragos, leaving four more: Brent (ral-clan), Leo (KilrPilr) and Jan in Germany. Anyone else or someone I forgot?

Price:
10 USD (11 CAD) for an interface without VIAs.
15 USD (17 CAD) for an interface including VIAs.
Shipping is 7 USD (8 CAD) per interface.

Dragos made an inofficial offer to anyone who buys one of these interfaces without 6522 chips to send two for postage costs.

E-mail me with your preference and address, and I can send the interfaces during this week. Amusingly, I had to fill in a toll declaration for sending (stuffed) letters outside the European Union. I suppose there will not be any issues with the customs, although I wonder how many over there know what IEEE-488 or VIC-20 is. :-D I also wrote "vintage computing".

Cool, Thanks Anders. I have emailed with details.

As far as mailing goes, I always put "old computer part" on the customs form and declare it as a gift. Also very important is to keep the value very low. Never put $0. $10 or $15 US is sufficient and wont get nailed for duties or fees. This was told to me on the phone by a customs officer once when i got nailed $9 on a $20 US value on some trade items.
ruud
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ruud »

Hallo allemaal,

I finally found some time to test them and...... no result :( Both have errors: the first one has a faulty line, NDAC IMHO, because after a LOAD"$",8 I only get SEARCHING for $ and that's it. The second doesn't see a drive at all. I replaced the 6522's but that didn't help.

To be continued......

Code: Select all

___
   / __|__
  / /  |_/     Met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen
  \ \__|_\
   \___|       URL: www.baltissen.org

carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Did you try with two different VIC-20s in case something is fishy with the first one? I'm going to sell the last interface to Jan, who's picking up 6522 chips from you, so maybe you get to see it in real life. Not that examining one piece of hardware makes another piece of hardware working..
Anders Carlsson

KilrPilr
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by KilrPilr »

Thanks for the Cartridge Anders. I got it yesterday. If you happen across any other wierd vic stuff, send me an email. Thanks again!
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Got mine from Anders and it works great too! Well, I don't actually have any PET drives to test it with, but it says "HANDIC IEEE-488 INTERFACE" on the screen when I activate it. Got here (to Canada) quickly too.

Thanks!
wizardnj
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by wizardnj »

I got mine works great. Thanks again
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Yesterday, hmm? In that case, mail from Canada to Sweden seems twice or thrice as fast as when sending in the other direction. Not sure why.
Anders Carlsson

Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

carlsson wrote:Yesterday, hmm? In that case, mail from Canada to Sweden seems twice or thrice as fast as when sending in the other direction. Not sure why.
ral-clan lives aways outside Toronto, so you need to add a couple of days for items to go through Toronto (a major mail hub) and get to other cities. It's a bit embarrasing in Canada how it sometimes takes mail a week to go from one part to another. Since I sent your 1581 kit from right inside Toronto, it was probably on a plane to Sweden within 24 hours.