VIC-20 with IEEE-488

Discuss anything related to the VIC
carlsson
Class of '6502

VIC-20 with IEEE-488

Post by carlsson »

Tonight, I tested an IEEE-488 interface with my VIC-20. It works nicely, allocating device 8 for the IEEE bus(*) and leaving i.e. device 9 for my 1541-II. I tried it by attaching a 5 MB 9060 hard disk, and managed to both bring up the directory and load files from it. Cool, but just temporary.

And some people have the misunderstanding that VIC-20 doesn't support disk drives at all. 8)

(*) I don't know if daisy-chaining devices on the IEEE bus assigns different device numbers to each unit, and whether this interface would allocate a number to every IEEE unit prior to letting the IEC bus use them. When connecting a 1541-II as device 8, it worked as long as I didn't have any IEEE devices connected to the interface, so I needed to toggle the device number on the disk drive to use it simultaneously.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

this sounds really cool!

can you elaborate and what you mean by ' Cool, but just temporary', as i would like to know more about this?
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Maybe I am just a little tech-naive, but this sounds like BIG news to me.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Temporary = the hard disk is about to be sold, and I'm rather getting a IEEE-488 floppy drive (if I can find some suitable floppies).
Anders Carlsson

ruud
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ruud »

carlsson wrote:Temporary = the hard disk is about to be sold, and I'm rather getting a IEEE-488 floppy drive (if I can find some suitable floppies).
May I point you to http://www.baltissen.org/htm/cbmhd.htm ?
Here you find a project that enables you to use a PC IEEE drive. A Pentium 1 will do. As my program only runs in real DOS mode, I advise to install W98 on it. This enables you to use its real DOS mode when simulating an IEEE drive and enables you to use the GUI mode for exchanging files over a network.

Code: Select all

___
   / __|__
  / /  |_/     Met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen
  \ \__|_\
   \___|       URL: www.baltissen.org

carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Ah, an IEEE alternative to 64HDD? Quite cool.
Anders Carlsson

carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Now I have a total of two IEEE-488 interfaces for VIC-20:

Dams Office Equipment: auto-starting, supposedly allocates device numbers depending on the number of IEEE devices on the bus. Other device numbers remain available to the IEC bus.

Handic IEEE-488: started with SYS 45056: ** HANDIC IEEE 488 **. It allocates (patches Kernel?) all device numbers from IEC bus, but it is disabled with RUN/STOP + RESTORE (and thus can the IEC devices be used again).

I'm unsure if this Handic interface is identical to Commodore's VIC-1112 interface. Does anyone own this cartridge and can tell whether it:

a) autostarts or requires a SYS
b) hogs all device numbers (like most IEEE interfaces for VIC/64 seems to do)

Actually it was one of many identical interfaces, but only one was pre-populated with 6522 chips, and for the moment I didn't need more interfaces. If anyone has use for them, I could probably pick up 2-3 more bare boards and sell, perhaps even populated with 6522 chips. :)
Anders Carlsson

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

carlsson wrote:Actually it was one of many identical interfaces, but only one was pre-populated with 6522 chips, and for the moment I didn't need more interfaces. If anyone has use for them, I could probably pick up 2-3 more bare boards and sell, perhaps even populated with 6522 chips. :)
I've always wanted an IEEE interface for my VIC, in case I ever find a PET hard drive. But I wouldn't know where to get the missing chips, so if it was posible to get a populated one, that might be something I would be interested in.
ruud
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ruud »

ral-clan wrote:But I wouldn't know where to get the missing chips,
I have about 50 6522's laying around. I don't know what other chips are needed but the 75160 and 75161 are still available AFAIK.

Code: Select all

___
   / __|__
  / /  |_/     Met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen
  \ \__|_\
   \___|       URL: www.baltissen.org

carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

A picture says more than a thousand words:

By the way, you know the small opening in the back of a VIC-20 cartridge? It turns out it is a perfect fit for the IEEE connector. I don't know if it was on purpose or a co-incidence.
Anders Carlsson

dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

ieee

Post by dragos »

I would be interested in one!!!!!
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Yep, dragos and ral-clan already advertised their interest, plus one more off-Denial (interesting wording).
Anders Carlsson

KilrPilr
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by KilrPilr »

Are they all spoken for Anders? Id like one of those carts too.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

If I find a fourth functional one, you'll be on the list.
Anders Carlsson

KilrPilr
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by KilrPilr »

Thanks