PC Keyboard Interface for VIC-20

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

PC Keyboard Interface for VIC-20

Post by hawk »

I've been considering modding a VIC-20 to fit into a small format PC case (or something similar), but one of the problems I've had is with the ribbon cable required to attach the keyboard to the motherboard. It is too big and bulky (read ugly).

So I figured that I could replace the VIC-20 keyboard with something else. Initially I thought of an ADB Macintosh keyboard, as they are a nice small footprint keyboard with a good feel. But I found getting information on the interface difficult, and it seems that the interface is more complicated than a standard PC keyboard.

Has anyone considered adding an interface that would allow a PC (AT ro PS/2) keyboard to interface to a VIC-20 without modifying the kernal? ie. the interface would emulate the closing of the switches of the keyboard.

I figure that a small microcontroller would be able to recieve the keycodes, and them translate them into the appropriate outputs at the correct time. For keys which have not equivalent on the VIC-20, it could map them them to commands. ie. output several keystrokes to the CIA chip for a single keystroke on the keyboard.

Does anyone else have any ideas on this?
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Commercial solution: http://www.volny.cz/dundera/pckeyb.html
http://www.volny.cz/dundera/hw_pckeyb.html

I think it is the direction you want, to use a PC AT keyboard with a VIC/64. For the other direction, to use a VIC/64 keyboard with a PC, you can purchase Keyrah by Individual Computers.

.. or design your own circuit, if you're up to such things.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by hawk »

Thanks for the links guys, that's great.

I've contacted Josef and Jim about getting hold of a converter.

I'd probably still want to reprogram it if possible, as I would prefer the layout of the keys to be as per the PC, not the VIC. I'd also like to map commands to keys like;
LOAD "$",8
LIST
etc.

Potentially, I guess you could enter small programs via a single keystroke, to avoid having to load them from disk or tape. These could be assembly programs loaded into various parts of memory which performed a specific command not provided by the kernal.
ruud
Vic 20 Devotee

Re: PC Keyboard Interface for VIC-20

Post by ruud »

hawk wrote:I've been considering modding a VIC-20 to fit into a small format PC case (or something similar),

Good luck then! In the last 5 years I only found ONE case where I could fit a VIC-20/C64 board inside without any sawing. But this case happens to be a big tower, not quite ideal for meetings etc.

Code: Select all

___
   / __|__
  / /  |_/     Met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen
  \ \__|_\
   \___|       URL: www.baltissen.org

hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by hawk »

What about home made cases? One thought was to make it out of MDF, with inserts of plastic screwed to cover routed cutouts.

Another idea I've also seen done as a PC case is say a VIC-20 built into one of the aluminium briefcases you can purchase. Complete with built in power supply for VIC, disk drive etc. The cables required to set it up could be kept in the lid, with the PS/2 keyboard sitting on top when the case is closed.

I also want to get hold of a bus extender, otherwise I'll have to try and make one myself, and that will take longer, and probably cost more.

Too many ideas and too little time! :wink:

BTW Ruud, did you consider something like and old Sun "Pizza Box"?
ruud
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ruud »

hawk wrote:BTW Ruud, did you consider something like and old Sun "Pizza Box"?
I have no idea what type of machine this is. Picture?

My personal interest in installing a VIC-20 or C64 in a PC case was being able to use PC cards as well.

Code: Select all

___
   / __|__
  / /  |_/     Met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen
  \ \__|_\
   \___|       URL: www.baltissen.org

hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by hawk »

Ruud, the link is to a Sun 3/50. As you can see, it resembles a "Pizza Box". These boxes are getting quite long in the tooth now, and are really only of interest to collectors and enthusiests.

http://www.sun3zoo.de/50/dachs.jpg

There should be enough room for a VIC-20, and possibly even a 1541 II. The carts would have to stick out the top though, or maybe just have a couple of slots on one side. After all, you could put a full fit of bank switched RAM inside.

It wouldn't solve your problem of using PC cards though.