Hookup questions

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Nethervue
Vic 20 Newbie

Hookup questions

Post by Nethervue »

Hi,
I just boought a Vic20...I had one when I was a little kid, so I am very excited to get back into gaming and playing around with this. Problem is, I'm not sure how to hook it up. Hope this makes sense...

I have one cable, on 1 end there is a 5 pin connector, on the other end is a box that has what looks like an female RCA connection. The box says model 251155-01. I also have an RCA male to male cable. Would that plug into that box and into my video in on the TV? If so, how would you get sound?

Also, I have another box with...what I am just noticing...has an female input for an RCA input and on the other end has 2 wires with "U"s on the ends...these I guess would be UHF connections.

Ok...so would this be correct? 5 pin into the Vic20, RCA cable into the 1st box, RCA cable outputting from the first box into the 2nd box, then plug those 2 UHH "U" cables into a jack of some sort that has those screws (my tv doesn't have screws) and that would plug into the COAX in on my tv?

Wow...can't be this hard! Seems like I have everything I need, just not sure on how it all fits together and how the sound will work.

Hope this isn't too confusing.

Thanks
Nethervue
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Nethervue »

Well, I just got home and tried it....no luck...nothing. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I have Jupiter Lander and a joystick that are itching to get tried.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

it sounds to me like you have an RF modulator with a tv/game switch box as well.

the RCA jack from the RF modulator would go to the tv/game switch box which allows you to connect to the VHF of your TV either via the 75 ohm coaxial connection or to the 300 ohm VHF antenna connection (the two screws)

you do not connect this to the video in on your tv.

in order to be able to connect to a video and audio in, you would need a 5 pin DIN to A/V RCA jacks, and that is not what the RF modulator provides.

so it should be:

5 pin DIN of your RF modulator to the A/V port of the vic, and then the RCA end of the RF modulator to your TV/game switch box, then to the VHF for your TV.

hope that is correct and helps, and you get to play jupiter lander!
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

if your tv does not have the screws, might i suggest going to radio shack or something similar, and get a gold plated RCA to coaxial adapter.

they are really tiny and cost less then $10.00 and provide a nice connection to your tv and the RF modulator.

i think i must have three kicking around in this house, as i find them really good.