What is this game?

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Mikam73
2049er

What is this game?

Post by Mikam73 »

I remember when I was kid that my friend had game where you did dive.

Dont remember what this guy had to do when he was under water.. But..

I just wonder what game this was..

We could get basic listing of it with runstop restore.

8)
aneurysm
not your PAL

Post by aneurysm »

There is an underwater level in Jungle Hunt?
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

But Jungle Hunt is not a Basic listing. :wink:

Maybe it was a conversation of the Nintendo Game & Watch game Octopus? I know a couple of VIC-20 Basic conversions of other G&W games.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Once you consider BASIC games, the possibilities are almost endless. It could even be an obscure type-in game from a magazine. Do you remember if it was on tape or not?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

I think that it was orginal game. It was tape.

Only one level where you did dive and there was ofcourse some animals (fish) under water that you should not touch.

I am not sure if you did collect something or shot them with harpoon.
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

sounds like scuba - a type in listing game from the book "Sixty programs for the vic 20" did it have scrolling changing color fish and sharks that you had to dodge as u dove up and down the screen?
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

You should also consider Shark Attack by Romik Software.
Anders Carlsson

Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

I dont remember..

Any screenshots?

8)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Sorry, Shark Attack was much more primitive looking than I remembered it. It is quite likely that the game you remember was not widely spread. If you have much time on your hands, browse through the Zimmers archive and an emulator and with a bit of luck you may find what you're looking for.
Anders Carlsson

Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

carlsson wrote:If you have much time on your hands, browse through the Zimmers archive and an emulator and with a bit of luck you may find what you're looking for.
I have all time that I need.. I just lost my job last friday.. With 3 hours warning.. didnt want talk about this here, but when we start talk about time..

But back to main subject.. i was just wondering if someone would know what game this was.. I ask about it sometimes before and got no answers at all.. And i am sure we didnt have very rare orginal games at Finland.. :? Well.. finnish games ofcourse are rare at other countrys.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

In theory, the number of games available for the VIC could be oustanding! Consider the number of countries contributing user-level software. I spent years hunting around Japan for a VIC-1001. What compatible programs might exist there?? I can't wait until those surface.

BTW, sorry about the job.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

The fact that you could RUN/STOP + RESTORE and see the listing makes it even harder to locate. The number of commercial machine code games archived somewhere is rather finite, but the number of both commercial and home-made Basic games is so large that Mika could just as well ask for someone to make a new game based on this game play and graphics. :D

Hey, is that an interesting idea, to design a game together? I realize it is a lot of overhead and difficult to divide the task among several people, but it could be an interesting community effort to see if we're capable of doing it.
Anders Carlsson

vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

i like your idea, especially for people good at one thing but not good at another, so everyone gets to contribute.

many of you are awesome at ML, and others like me are not even close.

get a few people to work on the programmable characters, others on sound routines, etc..

plus this is a big anniversary year for the vic correct? 25 years? or do i still have the date wrong?

should we get an outline done, a list of the ingredients to a game, so we know what kind of jobs need to be done?

chris
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I love the idea. I may have even suggested it in the early days of this forum. However, the convergence of so many programming styles could be difficult. For example, I am one of the few BASIC programmers. May of the other members are excellent with ML. I doubt I could really contribute. :?
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

I think Chris has the right idea, look at Borays and mine 'group effort' called Videopoker :-)

1. There are two programmers involved
2. It's all Basic

So at least we have proven that we can work together and that we can make interesting programs in Basic, I think.

And even if some parts are too slow in Basic we can always make some little ML routines for critical parts and call them from Basic.

So all in all I think everybody can contribute something to a community project. I am for example good at programming (at least I think so :lol: ) but not so good at graphics and I really s*** at sound/music...

Björg