VIC-1001 main board

Discuss anything related to the VIC
mythic66
Vic 20 Drifter

VIC-1001 main board

Post by mythic66 »

Hi,

Does any one knows, if the VIC-1001 might have come with an early VIC-20 board version ? I got a VIC-1001, but the board doesn't look like what we can see on the internet. It has all MPS chips with date code 81, the Kana char from, as well as the Japanese Kernal rom.

thanks,
Mayhem
High Bidder

Re: VIC-1001 main board

Post by Mayhem »

I suppose it's possible, they made regular Vic20 computers in Japan, my PAL Vic is from there.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

Could you attach a photo?
mythic66
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by mythic66 »

I removed a part of the heatsink as well as the CPU for testing because I have a weird problem.
Attachments
20231009_132201.jpg
nefaurora
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by nefaurora »

That's actually a very,very Late VIC-1001 board as it's the same identical board for the early Japan VIC-20 PET Keyboard VICs. Fixing the board you have pictured should be relatively easy since everything for it is still out there and available. (can still be found).

Normal VIC-1001 boards look absolutely nothing like your board that you have pictured. They are more simplistic in design with all of the chips in rows in a straight up and down fashion. I will see if I can find a pic and get it up here for you to see. Tony K. ;)
nefaurora
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by nefaurora »

Ok, For your viewing pleasure, Out of my own personal Data Files and Pics library, Pictured below is the "typical" VIC-1001 Motherboard, and Extremely Early Japanese VIC-20 Motherboard as well pictured below. Enjoy... Tony K. ;)
Attachments
Japanese VIC-1001 Carts Collection-10.jpg
Last edited by nefaurora on Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
nefaurora
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by nefaurora »

What's your problem with the machine?? I have fixed more than a few... :o) The design of your motherboard is of a "typical" 2-prong Late 1st Gen Vic-20. Very Common....even though it found it's way into a VIC-1001 casing. ;o)
nefaurora
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by nefaurora »

Mayhem, They certainly did make Early VIC-20 computers in Japan. It goes like this.. The VIC-1001 was created and sold in Japan by Tony Takai's team and being produced and launched in Japan, and then the order came down from the Commodore hierarchy (Most likely from Michael Tomczyk and Jack Tramiel) to start actual VIC-20 production in Japan on the same VIC-1001 Assembly line... so all they changed in Japan literally was the VIC's label and Character ROM and box cover and then started shipping them to the United States and Canada. Once the first very few first actual VIC-20's had been shipped out of Japan, then VIC-20 Production shifted to Commodore's Santa Clara, California Facility once it was brought online, then later to the West Chester, Pennsylvania Facility. ....And that's how it happened! :) So, Yes, The very,very First VIC-20's were actually made in Japan on the same VIC-1001 Assembly line concurrently (At the same time.) :o) Tony K.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

nefaurora wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:07 am Mayhem, They certainly did make Early VIC-20 computers in Japan. It goes like this.. The VIC-1001 was created and sold in Japan by Tony Takai's team and being produced and launched in Japan, and then the order came down from the Commodore hierarchy (Most likely from Michael Tomczyk and Jack Tramiel) to start actual VIC-20 production in Japan on the same VIC-1001 Assembly line... so all they changed in Japan literally was the VIC's label and Character ROM and box cover and then started shipping them to the United States and Canada. Once the first very few first actual VIC-20's had been shipped out of Japan, then VIC-20 Production shifted to Commodore's Santa Clara, California Facility once it was brought online, then later to the West Chester, Pennsylvania Facility. ....And that's how it happened! :) So, Yes, The very,very First VIC-20's were actually made in Japan on the same VIC-1001 Assembly line concurrently (At the same time.) :o) Tony K.
I think what's more surprising is there are PAL Vic20 from Japan. They are all in the 5xxxxx serial number range I believe.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

Mayhem wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:22 pm I think what's more surprising is there are PAL Vic20 from Japan. They are all in the 5xxxxx serial number range I believe.
The one I have has a 5xxxxx serial number.