3D-printed case?

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

gazinginward
Vic 20 Newbie

3D-printed case?

Post by gazinginward »

I've searched this forum, as well as Google, and haven't seen anything, so I apologize if somebody has posted about this before. My Vic's case is pretty brittle and damaged, so I'm wanting a new, 3D-printed one. Does anybody know if anybody has made any? I don't have a 3D printer myself, so it'd be great if I could just buy one from somebody, but I could probably find someone local to me to print one if necessary. Thanks in advance for any help!
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: 3D-printed case?

Post by srowe »

There seem to be a number of designs for the C64 but, as you say, none for the VIC-20. There are often sellers on eBay that break systems and sell cases, that's probably the best replacement.
doug_in_nc
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Re: 3D-printed case?

Post by doug_in_nc »

3d printing something as big as a VIC 20 case requires a bigger printer than most home ones, or a bunch of small pieces that would have to be glued together and would take a lot of time. Consequently, the price you would end up paying for one would probably be quite a lot higher than just picking one up on ebay (or even than picking up an entire non-working VIC). One of the retro channels on YouTube had a C64 case resin printed commercially, and it cost them over $200. You can get a good VIC for that money.