Missing Pixels on screen??

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Rich
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Missing Pixels on screen??

Post by Rich »

Hi Everyone,
Made the plung and got a Vic20 from ebay....... I had to get a new modern power brick(as the one that came with it was giving 18v and 21v on the pins) and got a new Video lead from Retro computer shack, but the picture is awful pixels missing from the letters also ajusted the pot to get the brightness better, I`m going to recap the mother board but i`m still waiting for the parts to come... I hope its not the vic chip, any ideas

Cheers Rich
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Missing Pixels on screen??

Post by srowe »

Are the missing pixels consistent? As in, if one is missing in the top row of an "A" do all "A"s look the same? Can you attach a screenshot?
Rich
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Rich »

Here are some pictures
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

OK, I'm not a video expert but that looks like artefacts from upscaling?
Rich
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Rich »

srowe wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:02 pm OK, I'm not a video expert but that looks like artefacts from upscaling?
Im using a scart to hdmi as ive got no tv with a scart input like this one, I use it for my amiga and zx spectrums with no problems.

Just borrowed a tv with scart and its worst thant the scart to hdmi, I think i might just wait till ive recapped it 6 caaps in total. I`ll post my results at a later date :roll: :roll: :roll:
bjonte
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by bjonte »

All the pixels seems to be there. It’s just really blurry. The image quality isn’t great on an unmodded machine and a HDMI converter on top of that only can get worse.
Rich
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Rich »

bjonte wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:34 pm All the pixels seems to be there. It’s just really blurry. The image quality isn’t great on an unmodded machine and a HDMI converter on top of that only can get worse.
Is this the best MOD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tbvpRiM36E
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Rich wrote:Is this the best MOD[?]
Any variant of the S-Video mods - as firstly presented here in Denial in 2008 - which provide separate Luma and Chroma (a.k.a. S-Video) will do. You will have to make sure though, that your converter box actually has S-Video input.

Between Video Out socket and either CRT monitor or HDMI converter, I use this cable plugged together from a DIN to 4xRCA breakout adapter, an AV cable, and one 2xRCA to S-Video adapter:

Yellow is Luma, Red is Chroma and White carries the audio signal.
Rich
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Rich »

Thank you everyone for the replys, gets abit frustating this old 8bit retro stuff but worth it in the end :D I will do the recap then the MOD and try to report back in a few weeks when I have time to do it I`ll get some more photos ready....