1st ANNIVERSARY: Vision BASIC - New Paperback Edition - Fastest BASIC Compiler !

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Marcio D.
Vic 20 Amateur

1st ANNIVERSARY: Vision BASIC - New Paperback Edition - Fastest BASIC Compiler !

Post by Marcio D. »

Launched in May 2022, Vision BASIC has become a tremendous hit amongst Commodore 64 programmers, from beginners all the way up to seasoned coders. The developer Dennis Osborn has announced some special news in celebration of its first anniversary:

1.0p: This newly-launched package features a paperback edition of the Vision BASIC manual for those who are more budget-conscious. This slimmer, lighter manual is also perfect for those who want to bring it along for reading while travelling out and about. This package includes FREE shipping.

1.0e: The price of this package has been permanently reduced by several dollars, while still providing the same spiral-bound manual for unparalleled reference when programming. This package includes FREE shipping.

Discount: For the remainder of the month (May 2023), use the code "Anniversary#1" to receive $5.00 off any package featured on the site.

To learn more about Vision BASIC, please visit: https://visionbasic.net

Happy coding !
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: 1st ANNIVERSARY: Vision BASIC - New Paperback Edition - Fastest BASIC Compiler !

Post by groepaz »

Vision BASIC has become a tremendous hit amongst Commodore 64 programmers, from beginners all the way up to seasoned coders.
WAT
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
Marcio D.
Vic 20 Amateur

Re: 1st ANNIVERSARY: Vision BASIC - New Paperback Edition - Fastest BASIC Compiler !

Post by Marcio D. »

groepaz wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:44 am WAT

Not sure what that means. Hopefully nothing derogatory, LOL !
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Marcio D. wrote:[...] Vision BASIC has become a tremendous hit amongst Commodore 64 programmers [...]
At the time I write this, there is no trained version of Vision BASIC to be found on csdb.dk, so I will take this assertion with a grain of salt.

Less use of ALL CAPS and choosing a normal font size might also help you to better convey your cause.
Marcio D.
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Marcio D. »

Mike wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:38 am At the time I write this, there is no trained version of Vision BASIC to be found on csdb.dk, so I will take this assertion with a grain of salt.

I would hope there's no trained version on csdb.dk!

Vision BASIC is an actual commercial product currently being sold.
Marcio D.
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Marcio D. »

Mike wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:38 am Less use of ALL CAPS and choosing a normal font size might also help you to better convey your cause.

Or it might not. Normal font size on this site is kinda small !

Anyway, let's concentrate on the positives. If Vision BASIC isn't your cup of tea for whatever reason (cost, bold assertions, etc.), what Commodore products bring a smile to your face these days?
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

I would hope there's no trained version on csdb.dk!

Vision BASIC is an actual commercial product currently being sold.
One doesn't contradict the other though. However, that there is no "crack" floating around anywhere, kinda tells you how much of a "hit" this is :)
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
Marcio D.
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Marcio D. »

groepaz wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:01 pm One doesn't contradict the other though. However, that there is no "crack" floating around anywhere, kinda tells you how much of a "hit" this is :)

Could it be that the vast majority of purchasers aren't interested in posting it to nefarious websites?

After all, this is a programming product, not a video game. People are buying it to program, not to be a "Robin Hood" and spread warez.

Come out of the dark and join the light, my friend !
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

Could it be that the vast majority of purchasers aren't interested in posting it to nefarious websites?
As soon as it becomes a "hit", it will happen :)
Marcio D.
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Marcio D. »

groepaz wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:29 pm As soon as it becomes a "hit", it will happen :)

Cheer up, buddy!

Why so negative?

I'll ask you the same question I asked Mike: What Commodore stuff brings a smile to your face?

I mean a real smile, not the fake smile in your emoticon...
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

I'm not negative, it's just how it works :)
Marcio D.
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Marcio D. »

groepaz wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:50 pm I'm not negative, it's just how it works :)

According to CSDb:

CSDb's interest is in archiving everything C64 scene related, but we also want to help the game developing scene thrive, thus not help spreading cracks of new commercial game releases, potentially hurting the sales. (The file will be hidden from the public, and for logged in users, for one (1) year after the release date of the crack. After that the file will be available publically or, if the entry creator so wishes, for logged in users only. Only rightful copyrightholders may ask for a prolonged timeframe by contacting the CSDb moderators directly, and we will take it from there.)

In other words, don't expect all software to make its way there, especially if the developers step in.

Am I wrong about this? Was the above just rhetoric on the part of their admins?
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

In other words, don't expect all software to make its way there, especially if the developers step in.
Am I wrong about this? Was the above just rhetoric on the part of their admins?
a) CSDb is an archive, whatever is released gets an entry, sooner or later. That however doesn't necessarily mean there will be a public download (see eg https://csdb.dk/release/?id=232505 which is a recently released game). It does however mean that a download is available at other places (see below). In many cases the downloads will be added at a later date though (often after a grace period of 6 months). VERY seldom that a download will get removed, like once in a decade.
b) More importantly, there are other, less public, places where the scene releases their stuff, and at those places no such rules apply and basically everything goes. That something does not pop up on CSDb does in no way imply that it is not circulating (although most stuff ends up there sooner or later). At those places basically everything, that the scene thinks is worth a release, will be available, most of the time a couple hours after it was published.

As for developers stepping in - that'd be the best way to make sure the scene release will really be shared with everyone (aka Streisand effect).
Marcio D.
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Marcio D. »

groepaz wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:25 am As for developers stepping in - that'd be the best way to make sure the scene release will really be shared with everyone (aka Streisand effect).

I see. And where do you personally stand on this?

Have you been downloading from these sites any C64 software that is still actively being sold?
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

To be honest, most of the time i don't bother, because i am really not that interested in those new games. I see what is being released (and what is not) though :)

As for this BASIC compiler, i might take a brief look at it and play around with it for a while, IF it'd be available for free. I wont pay for it nor actually use it for a project, because no matter how good it is, it wont even come close to my current workflow with cross-assembling. And that this is probably true for the vast majority of currently active coders, is what makes the slightly exaggerated marketing speech surrounding this thing a bit amusing.