New Game: VICSTRIP

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Mike
Herr VC

New Game: VICSTRIP

Post by Mike »

Dear Denial fellows,

tokra and me present you VICSTRIP for VIC-20 (PAL only, +24K RAM required, download):

Code: Select all

V   V  III   CCC 
    V   V   I   C   C
    V   V   I   C    
     V V    I   C   C
      V    III   CCC 

SSSS TTTTT RRRR   III  PPPP
       S       T   R   R   I   P   P
        SSS    T   RRRR    I   PPPP
           S   T   R   R   I   P
       SSSS    T   R   R  III  P   

Strip Poker for the VIC-20

Product Name: ................. VICSTRIP
Group: ............. Akronyme Analogiker
Competition: ...................... Game
Party: ................... Revision 2023
Platform: ...........PAL VIC-20 +24K RAM
Release Date: ............... 2023-04-09

Short Description:

A Sizzling Game of Chance
      we all know and love
        - this time on a VIC-20.

Really.

Code: ............................ tokra
Support: ............ Qubix / Architects
The game got 3rd place at the Games competition on the Revision 2023 party! :mrgreen:

Instructions:

Win at Poker to undress lady of choice.

Bid: CURSOR-keys or +/-
Swap cards: 1-5
Confirm: RETURN

Resign: F7

Note:

If you want to use SJLOAD for speedier disk access, you need another 8K RAM in BLK5 and a JiffyDOS-enabled drive.

With VICE, simply disable True Drive Emulation and enable Virtual Device Traps.

Acknowledgements:
  • Draw Poker based on Poker by A. Christopher Hall from the book: 101 BASIC Computer Games from 1973.
  • Suzi and Melissa graphics based on Amiga-version of Strip Poker II from Artworx.
  • Music partly based on Strip Poker by Artworx on C64.

Greetings:
  • All people @ Revision 2023,
  • All fellows @ the VIC-20 Denial forum,
  • All fellows @ Forum-64, and
  • All VIC-20 fans around the world. :)

Signing off,

tokra/AA and Qubix "Mike" Architects
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: New Game: VICSTRIP

Post by tokra »

Thanks, Mike, for posting this. I arrived back home at 10 p.m. yesterday and am just now "back to life".

The idea for this game actually dates back around 12 years. The graphics-mode used for this was already finished in 2019, aiming for a 2020-release. Then the pandemic hit. I was also waiting for Mike to do a converter for this mode which he finally managed to deliver (brilliantly as ever) in September of last year. This gave me the push necessary to finish the Poker-game which is actually based on a old BASIC-programming book from 1973, heavily adapted and fixed.

The game employs a new graphics-mode to be further explained in an upcoming post of your favourite series New Frontiers in VIC-Hires. Basically it's 168x160 with 8x2 colour blocks and backgound/border/auxiliary color splits every 2 rasterlines. The other new and hot feature of this mode is that it interacts with BASIC and you can use a text-area of 25x11 characters below the graphics-screen from the standard BASIC-editor. This makes it easy to do Adventure-style-games with nice graphics being displayed or as demonstrated here, a simple Poker-game. Essentially this uses what I learned from implementing Maxiedit and applies it to the split-screen text-area.

Over in the New Frontiers-thread I will soon post easily usable versions of this mode together with Mike's excellent picture-converter.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Very interesting Mike and Tokra, you're really pushing the limits of our beloved machine to new frontiers :D .
The possibility to reserve the lower area of the screen for the good ol' blocky text is a great feature (well, *new and hot* is apt for the game being :mrgreen: ), and surely opens the door for future applications, such as my loved ones, i.e., semi-graphical adventure games.
The Revision party seems to have been a success from what I see, congratulations to the organization, and to our two friends for their prolific cooperation!
huffelduff
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by huffelduff »

Wow congrats Mike and Tokra on your placement.
Very saucy!

H
Spectrum
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Spectrum »

Amazing! Graphics looks great. Now I can't wait to try it with my girlfriend (she loves such kind of games) on our Vic20!
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Haha when the VIC took off its box, I was a little excited. I thought it might strip down to the circuitry.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
aeb
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by aeb »

Great port, even the good old file rename trick works! 8)
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Jeff-20 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:43 pm Haha when the VIC took off its box, I was a little excited. I thought it might strip down to the circuitry.
That actually was the first idea, however the converted images of the mainboard did not look that good, so I came up with the idea of the "recursive" final picture for the VIC from an old advertisement. The conversions from the Amiga Strip Poker-girls turned out quite nicely, I think. And for "Samantha" I had to do the hard job of searching for "appropriate" images on the net :mrgreen:
aeb wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:37 am Great port, even the good old file rename trick works! 8)
Or you could just press the STOP-key, LOAD the desired image (,8,1) and SYS 9195
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

Imagine this back in '82. This + Jelly Monsters would make the ultimate "Vic 20 does what Atari 2600 doesn't"-argument.
polluks
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by polluks »

hasseapa wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:06 pm Imagine this back in '82. This + Jelly Monsters would make the ultimate "Vic 20 does what Atari 2600 doesn't"-argument.
Try to buy 24K RAM back in '82 :cry:
VC20 [WGA103574] + UltiMem
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Jeff-20 wrote:Haha when the VIC took off its box, I was a little excited. I thought it might strip down to the circuitry.
tokra wrote:That actually was the first idea, [...]
That, and besides - stripping down to the circuits had already been done in Exxos' Teenage Queen Strip Poker. :twisted:
polluks wrote:Try to buy 24K RAM back in '82 :cry:
Not impossible though, even if a bit expensive.

The interesting challenge would have been to get hold of digitised, photorealistic imagery in first place and then having the necessary computing power handy to convert those into pictures displayable with VIC-I. The algorithm I use for conversion is rather compute intensive and would have appeared infeasible in those times (on computers affordable for a private person, that is).
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

Mike wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:21 am
polluks wrote:Try to buy 24K RAM back in '82 :cry:
Not impossible though, even if a bit expensive.
Checking the Spring 1983 VicSoft catalogue the combined price of 16K and 8K cartridges was £119.90. Soon after that you could buy a VIC for just a little over that.
Miklós
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Miklós »

Very special and cool.
Congratulations.
-A real RETRO game in 23 conditions.
I also played it on C64 in the 80s.
I really like the VIC version and had a lot of fun with it.
Thanks.
Ola H
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Ola H »

This is a very impressive accomplishment! I am not much of a poker player (don't enjoy it as I never really got the rules) but I would love to see this graphics mode used in adventure games in the future. Or, *dreaming*, a scaled-down version of Defender of the Crown :D
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Ola H wrote:[...] I would love to see this graphics mode used in adventure games in the future. Or, *dreaming*, a scaled-down version of Defender of the Crown :D
People interested in using this split-screen graphics/text mode for own programs or games find all relevant information in the thread:

"** New Frontiers in VIC-Hires-Graphics, Part 18"

... including a memory map for two different configurations, either for +16/+24K RAM expansion or for a full +35K RAM expansion - note using just +16K RAM expansion will leave very little memory for the client program.

Greetings,

Michael