Spotted a strange monitor (?)

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

orion70
VICtalian

Spotted a strange monitor (?)

Post by orion70 »

Hi there, a couple of days ago I was in the small town where I was born. Nothing changed in 50 or so years, and I'm always happy to find all those places still intact: sweet memories come to mind, and all that melancholy stuff we all know well flows like a river.
I passed by a window of what apparently looked like a junkyard sale, or a flea market, or simply a warehouse. No signs, timetables, bells to ring. Nothing. Plenty of various stuff inside, from books to furniture, toys, old perfume bottles, and much more.
I noticed something strangely familiar in a corner - out of context, even if the window is in the very same block where I was born and received my first computer, a VIC-20 of course. Sorry I couldn't take a better picture.
Now, the question is: the VIC is a regular newer CR version with gray FN keys. But what about the monitor? It seems like a non-color one, as the CRT is way too thin. Looks thin even for a B/W, amber, or green monitor! Any ideas?

I asked around to find out who's the place owner, but apparently no one knows who is he. Not even the lady of the grocery store next to it. Hope to solve this mystery from my desk 100 km away from it - meanwhile, please help identifying the monitor. If it's a monitor, of course :wink:
Mike
Herr VC

Re: Spotted a strange monitor (?)

Post by Mike »

orion70 wrote:[...] what about the monitor? It seems like a non-color one, as the CRT is way too thin. Looks thin even for a B/W, amber, or green monitor! Any ideas?
At the time, it surely was possible to produce thin/slim CRTs with a depth on the order of half the screen diagonal only, also in colour. However, the exact brand of that display in the photo escapes me as well. Might be a late Sony or Toshiba.

Nice find! 8)