Xbox Series S... the best VIC-20 you can buy!

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

ArugulaZ
Vic 20 Dabbler

Xbox Series S... the best VIC-20 you can buy!

Post by ArugulaZ »

Say what?

No, really! If you know how to get RetroArch on your Xbox Series S, it becomes an absolutely delightful VIC-20. Just install RetroArch using either the retail or dev method (there are tutorials on YouTube), get it properly set up, run the core XVICE/VIC, and start Mega-cart.rom after installing that on a flash drive.

From there just pick the game you want to play on the joystick and press the fire button (A) to start the game you'd like to play. Most games work very well! But if you find a game that doesn't, like Capture the Flag or Bandits, just press start and select together, then reset, and you're back to the main menu, where you can select another title. This is a huge step up from having to manage memory addresses, as was necessary in the bad old days of VIC-20 emulation.

Obviously, I didn't buy an Xbox Series S just for the killer VIC-20 emulation... but it certainly doesn't hurt! The Series S can also handle a bunch of other systems at 1080p, including the GameCube, Dreamcast, and Playstation 2. You know, just in case you get tired of Cosmic Cruncher. :}
SCREW BEAR
Bear is so startled that he falls off cliff.

http://kiblitzing.blogspot.com/
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Xbox Series S... the best VIC-20 you can buy!

Post by groepaz »

But if you find a game that doesn't, like Capture the Flag or Bandits, just press start and select together
Or you could find the PAL fixes i did for those and patch the megacart rom with them :) -> hitmen.c02.at/temp/palpatches.zip
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

ArugulaZ wrote:This is a huge step up from having to manage memory addresses, as was necessary in the bad old days of VIC-20 emulation.
Really the work put into the MegaCart firmware should be credited for this, not some platform you happen to run the VIC-20 emulation on.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

I was messing around with BMC64 the other day. It's a bare metal VICE implementation for the Raspberry Pi. I put it on a spare 3B+ I had lying around and while it booted fine I couldn't get it to recognise the buttons on either my generic PC gamepad or the 360 gamepad even though the system picked them up and I was able to use the directionals without any trouble.

When I finally figure it out, it promises to be a useful tool. Just from browsing around the controller settings, I found it was possible to map a contemporary gamepad to do every instruction under the sun from joystick port swapping to activating a freeze cartridge.

BMC64 also includes emulators for the C128, VIC-20 and Plus-4 as is consistent with the VICE model:
https://accentual.com/bmc64/

VICE is definitely one of the most enduring and portable emulators around.
ArugulaZ
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by ArugulaZ »

Good call on the NTSC/PAL thing, Paz. That was exactly the problem in reverse... the games were in NTSC but the emulator was in PAL. Hopefully that's not going to be an issue in the future.
SCREW BEAR
Bear is so startled that he falls off cliff.

http://kiblitzing.blogspot.com/
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

ArugulaZ wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:16 pm Just install RetroArch using either the retail or dev method
Is there a retail RetroArch?? I haven't touched this current generation of consoles, so I'm out of the loop. Is it legal? Did they pay the emulator devs?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

RetroArch has come a long way. I wouldn't characterize it is as better on any particular platform. It all depends on what you want out of it. If you want the latest PS2 core running content, then you need a powerful rig and lots of storage. Else, the latest SBCs can handle all the rest.

I am also making a Pi 3B+ image to run only Commodore stuff made in the 1980s. But also, I want to make it retro developer friendly with toolchains and workflow. Right now, I have its analog hooked up to a Commodore 1902 monitor and also its HDMI hooked up to an RCA converter to a large Sony TV, because I'd like to run RetroaArch using a closer native resolution without needing any artificial screen effects.

I just freshened my Pi 4/400 image for myself and circle of family & friends. It's interesting to see how each use their setup with their respective family & friends. First within their familiar comfort zone, but then later branching out discovering "new to them" stuff, i.e., one bud from the NES / SNES era started playing C64 games.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing