Mega-Cart external menu ver. 1.0

Discuss anything related to the VIC
nbla000
Salmon Run

Mega-Cart external menu ver. 1.0

Post by nbla000 »

Hi Everytbody,

Finally after a lot of work and testing, I am happy to announce that I have released the first version of the external menu for Mega-Cart.

It allows using an external drive based on sd2iec firmware to load new/updated items published on new Mega-Cart revision 22.

To use it, just follow the readme.txt in the zip file, basically unzip mc-boot and mc.dnp to the root of the SD card and from the Vic-20 prompt just load mc-boot or for Mega-Cart rev.20+ Hold CTRL key on boot and select external menu.

Enjoy

PS: All new shipped Mega-Cart will use the newer rev.22 firmware that already include all the items present in this version 1.0 of the external menu.

PS2: I will be away for a while from now and I cannot supply other info for the moment but I will publish a detailed info about what is new on revision 22, that are mainly Cheats support and new games and tools.

*** edit ***
New 1.0b release, Gorf fixed.
Attachments
mc-sd-v1.0b.zip
(878.69 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Last edited by nbla000 on Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Re: Mega-Cart external menu ver. 1.0

Post by Jeff-20 »

:shock: grazie infinite :shock:
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Grazie Nicola! Proud to have tested it in advance :wink:
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Thanks guys, just to inform that I've updated the External menu to the 1.0b version to fix a No audio problem with Gorf.

Thanks to 6502dude for report.

File attached to the first post.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

It allows using an external drive based on sd2iec firmware to load new/updated items published on new Mega-Cart revision 22.
Sorry for a few dumb questions:

- I don't quite understand. Does this allow the MegaCart to load items off and external SD2IEC drive? Or does it allow the user to flash the MegaCart with software from an SD2IEC drive?

- I have a MegaCart from the first run. I'm assuming I don't have "revision 22" (of firmware or hardware?). If firmware, is there a way to flash my MegaCart with rev.22?

Thanks,
Ral-Clan
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
nefaurora
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by nefaurora »

Looks like you got no response.... ;)...lol....
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

ral-clan wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:31 am
... does it allow the user to flash the MegaCart with software from an SD2IEC drive?
No. It allows games & utilities to be loaded from SD2IEC (or uIEC) to MegaCart via menu control, thus expanding flexibility to add more. It does not allow firmware on MegaCart to be updated.
- I have a MegaCart from the first run. I'm assuming I don't have "revision 22" (of firmware or hardware?). If firmware, is there a way to flash my MegaCart with rev.22?
There is no option to flash MegaCarts with a firmware update. The hardware uses one time programmable eproms.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

Is the Mega-Cart still being sold? If so, what is the website address? Thank you.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Barney wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:02 pm Is the Mega-Cart still being sold? If so, what is the website address? Thank you.
https://www.mega-cart.com/
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

Jeff-20 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:50 am https://www.mega-cart.com/
Sadly, that same "site under maintenance ... check back soon" has been the exact same ever since the site went back up (at least a year). I've read here at Denial and elsewhere that the Mega-Cart is still available for sale but if that's true, the mega-cart-com website hasn't been the place to publicly buy one.