Upcoming H.E.R.O. game

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Upcoming H.E.R.O. game

Post by beamrider »

Looks fine to me, after all the Atari 2600 and Vic-20 were contemporaries whereas the C64 was "next-gen".

Really looking forward to seeing it, could you put out a you-tube demo before release?
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

The intro screen on the C64 version is more like a loading screen. And you only see it once anyhow. When you die, everything stays on screen until you start again, just like the 2600 version.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
bjonte
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by bjonte »

beamrider wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:36 am Really looking forward to seeing it, could you put out a you-tube demo before release?
Some sort of teaser video is likely to happen at least.
marco.bergomi
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by marco.bergomi »

Hi, i'm Marco from Commodore Vic20 Italia;
a hypothetical release date?
Thank you.
mingle
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by mingle »

Fair enough comments, however I have the C64 version burned into my brain and played it for more hours than I care to admit - nothing else can compare! :-)
bjonte
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by bjonte »

marco.bergomi wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:31 am Hi, i'm Marco from Commodore Vic20 Italia;
Hi! Since it's a spare time project and it's not done it's hard to estimate reliably. It depends a lot of my ambitions regarding the introduction screen also. It's probably months away. What I can do is make updates here about the progress. I can't set a release date until the game is finished.
bjonte
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by bjonte »

mingle wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:41 am Fair enough comments, however I have the C64 version burned into my brain and played it for more hours than I care to admit - nothing else can compare! :-)
I played the C64 version first but I have come to like the clean Atari 2600 version. I think the background looks a bit messy on the C64, but the removable walls look great.

Did you finish it? This game is surprisingly hard. I doubt I will succeed even after a lot of testing.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

We'll be waiting for Miklos' cheat mode then :mrgreen:
marco.bergomi
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by marco.bergomi »

bjonte wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:19 am
marco.bergomi wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:31 am Hi, i'm Marco from Commodore Vic20 Italia;
Hi! Since it's a spare time project and it's not done it's hard to estimate reliably. It depends a lot of my ambitions regarding the introduction screen also. It's probably months away. What I can do is make updates here about the progress. I can't set a release date until the game is finished.
OK thank you :) :)
mingle
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by mingle »

bjonte wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:27 am I played the C64 version first but I have come to like the clean Atari 2600 version. I think the background looks a bit messy on the C64, but the removable walls look great.

Did you finish it? This game is surprisingly hard. I doubt I will succeed even after a lot of testing.
The C64 backgrounds could sometimes make the miners hard to see, but apart from that added a lot of atmosphere to the game - they did look like mossy/rocky walls, etc...

One of the few games on the C64 that I actually completed (this an Pitfall II). The last levels were so stressful and very easy to die (lot's of lava walls and ceilings!)

Cheers,

Mike.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Mike,
mingle wrote:The C64 backgrounds could sometimes make the miners hard to see, but apart from that added a lot of atmosphere to the game - they did look like mossy/rocky walls, etc...
bjonte did already mention this, but let me elaborate further: the VIC-I chip in the VIC-20 has only half the resolution, no sprites and a more restricted choice of simultaneously displayable colours. Also, all 256 characters of the user defined character set are already in charge.

Even if it was possible to re-organize the character set to free up background characters - the rather detailed background graphics would require the use of multi-colour mode to have at least one extra colour available that sets the player character apart from the background graphics. Currently, the player character is drawn in hires mode, and the colouring is done with raster effects (changing the corresponding colour RAM values mid-character vertically!). If it was drawn in multi-colour, it would appear much more coarse.

Keeping the fine resolution (actually the same resolution as on the 2600 and C64!) of the player character thus had been bjonte's given design choice.

bjonte wrote:Since it's a spare time project and it's not done it's hard to estimate reliably. It depends a lot of my ambitions regarding the introduction screen also. It's probably months away.
I hope you can make good use of the tools made available here in Denial. MINIPAINT and its assorted tools would be my weapon of choice for the title screen and the library routines in MG BROWSE could take the part of displaying the instructions in a READ ME file.

Greetings,

Michael
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

BTW, you can load up the game on the C64 and then save whatever it displays as a screenshot in Minipaint format - that might help with producing a first crude version
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
bjonte
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by bjonte »

Mike wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:47 am Keeping the fine resolution (actually the same resolution as on the 2600 and C64!) of the player character thus had been bjonte's given design choice.
Yes exactly! The whole design is based on making the main character in colored hires mode to show off the VIC20’s capabilities.
bjonte
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by bjonte »

Mike wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:47 am I hope you can make good use of the tools made available here in Denial.
Thanks, I’ll have a look at these!
bjonte
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by bjonte »

groepaz wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:16 am BTW, you can load up the game on the C64 and then save whatever it displays as a screenshot in Minipaint format - that might help with producing a first crude version
Interesting idea! I wasn’t aware of that direct VIC20 support. Or is Minipaint a multiplatform application?