Jupiter Lander Variants

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Jupiter Lander Variants

Post by chysn »

I bought an older copy of VIC-1907 Jupiter Lander, because I didn't have any of the really early cartridge labels. The one on the left is the one I just bought, and the one on the right is the one I've had since 1981:
IMG_5456.jpg
When I plugged it in to try it, I was surprised to see that the color is actually different. Here's the one I just got, with the red landscape:
IMG_5454.jpg
and here's the one I've been playing for 40 years:
IMG_5453.jpg
I haven't observed any other differences beyond the landscape color.
VIC-20 Projects: wAx Assembler, TRBo: Turtle RescueBot, Helix Colony, Sub Med, Trolley Problem, Dungeon of Dance, ZEPTOPOLIS, MIDI KERNAL, The Archivist, Ed for Prophet-5

WIP: MIDIcast BASIC extension

he/him/his
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Jupiter Lander Variants

Post by srowe »

Interesting, I've just noticed that the background is also red in the screenshot shown in the advert on page 64 of "A Visual History".
Screenshot_20220724_071108.png
Screenshot_20220724_071108.png (110.15 KiB) Viewed 3045 times
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

I did a facebook post about this ages ago, but it seems to have disappeared.

I still have the image showing the different variants and what they look like.

It appears super-lander was a red planet with a title, Jupiter lander changed to green and removed the title, although Jupiter-lander on the 64 is red. I suppose they could have also put Jupiter lander labels on Super-Lander cartridges and vica-versa during the transition.

Thinking about it, they probably removed the title so they could use the new Roms in any cartridge shell and packaging.
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by chysn »

I didn't notice before, but now that you point it out, my red one does say VIC SUPER LANDER on the title screen.
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Also the score/high score seem to have been changed from cyan/purple to white.
doug_in_nc
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by doug_in_nc »

There is apparently another rather less obvious difference between the two. In the original version there is an Easter egg which brings up the author’s name on the instruction screen when Left Shift, Right Shift and C= are pressed at the same time, but it has been disabled in the “green” version. Details and screenshots are available at the link below.

https://tcrf.net/Jupiter_Lander_%28Commodore_VIC-20%29

Incidentally, the version change didn’t coincide with the label change. I have both the “original” label version and the paper/plastic label versions, but both are the Jupiter Lander variety of the game.

The suggestion in the article I linked to was that the cartridge was called Super Lander in Japan and then modified to Jupiter lander for the American market. There appears to be another twist though. There are currently 3 copes of “super lander” on E-bay, all of which come from British sellers and all of which are silver label, made in Hong Kong cartridges with obviously modified labels.
65F7FC83-5303-429E-BDFC-B7A97C4DE69D.jpeg
The one I show here is the most obviously modified. The others were a bit more professionally done. 2 of those for sale had boxes, both of which were labeled Super Lander. Does anyone in Britain (or potentially the rest of Europe) know what is under the sticker? Is it Jupiter Lander? Which version of the game is on the cartridge?
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Interesting - didn't know about the Easter Egg.

I don't think Super-Lander was only for Japan as suggested in the link. I played a version labelled Super-Lander in the UK/early 80s, bought from a local store. Although oddly enough, I seem to recall a green planet, but not 100% on this. I've yet to hear of reports of a Jupiter-Lander shell with a Super-lander ROM.

I think this all supports the theory that during the change-over period, Commodore would just use up whatever cartridge cases, labels, boxes etc they had on hand before manufacturing new - especially with the new ROM not displaying the game title.
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

doug_in_nc wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:16 pm The one I show here is the most obviously modified. The others were a bit more professionally done. 2 of those for sale had boxes, both of which were labeled Super Lander. Does anyone in Britain (or potentially the rest of Europe) know what is under the sticker? Is it Jupiter Lander? Which version of the game is on the cartridge?
That is Jupiter-Lander, you can clearly see the start of the 'J' under the sticker!
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I own both Super Lander and Jupiter Lander versions, I'll have a look at my collection later.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Anyone know what NG on the gauge stands for?
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Checked my copies. JL is Hong Kong, generic manual. SL is Japan, manual has UK address on it. Also contents are more expanded than JL manual.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by chysn »

beamrider wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:31 am Anyone know what NG on the gauge stands for?
Pretty sure it specifies the “No Good” range.
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Ah, thanks.

I took it as the exact point where the arrow is was of significance, as opposed to the whole lower green section. Finally cleared up after 40+ years.. :D
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

This thread prompted me to crank up this game tonight on the Mega-cart and I managed to get my best score ever: 49,700 :D
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I wonder if this was a legal issue. Does Atari or HAL seem to have rights based on similarities to Lunar Lander?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.