Welcome! Please add your programs.

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

20questions
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Re: Welcome! Please add your programs.

Post by 20questions »

it's less of a game, more of a utility, but this is my morse code helper, programmed by me to help others learn morse code at a pace they're comfortable with. I'm still getting used to commodore basic so bear with me, feel free to send me any bugs so i can work them out. for those that need one, here is a sheet to help http://experimentexchange.com/wp-conten ... de-pic.jpg

You never know, one day we might get hit by an EMP or lightning might cut off communications.

enjoy and give feedback

hope the file works ok

for the unexpanded vic 20
Attachments
morse code.zip
(715 Bytes) Downloaded 147 times
Bedroom coder=rock star
modern coder= pop star
i'd rather be a rock star than a pop start 8)
20questions
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by 20questions »

do you like it?
Bedroom coder=rock star
modern coder= pop star
i'd rather be a rock star than a pop start 8)
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by chysn »

Eh, what the heck. My son is a huge esoteric programming language fan, and wants to learn an assembly language before he goes off to college next fall. So I wrote a Brainfuck interpreter as a sort of demo for him. There was already a Brainfuck interpreter for VIC-20, but mine is way better, in that it uses 16-bit addressing and it can optionally execute code directly from screen RAM.

https://github.com/Chysn/vicbf
VIC-20 Projects: wAx Assembler, TRBo: Turtle RescueBot, Helix Colony, Sub Med, Trolley Problem, Dungeon of Dance, ZEPTOPOLIS, MIDI KERNAL, The Archivist, Ed for Prophet-5

WIP: MIDIcast BASIC extension

he/him/his
Miklós
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Miklós »

Hello
Here are 3 BASIC prg. which in the late '80s I was teasing.
You need VIC 20 + 16k ram.
My "coloring" program is my first program.
A kind of "mastermid".
The first version exists on VIC 20, somewhere on tape.
This is a redesigned version of c64.

Original, please translate it.
<language:Magyar, HU, Hungarian>
Hello
Itt van 3 BASIC prg. amit a 80-as évek végén itram.
VIC 20 +16k ram kell hozzá.
A "szinező" prg.-re az első saját programom.
Egyfajta "mastermid" .
Az első verzió VIC 20-on létezik, valahol megvan kazettán.
Ez a c64-es átdolgozott változat.
Attachments
vic 20 1987.zip
(6.25 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
RetroBasic
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by RetroBasic »

Hello,

I'm new here and new to the Vic 20. I'm a bit of a text adventure nut. I've contributed a few maps to CASA (solutionarchive.com)
I've read in various mags and web sites that Greg Hassett text adventures were converted from TRS80 to other systems "... like Vic 20 ...".
Well maybe I'm looking in the wrong places!
So in a moment of madness (or more like a weekend of madness), I typed it in from the Captain 80 Book of Basic Adventures.
This book contains TRS80 listings but the Basic is sooo similar that I only needed to remove a few Pokes and rewrite some lines that were longer than 88 characters. In the interest of trying to keep it as close to the original as possible, I've not altered any logic, input, or output to suit the Vic.
I know it's not up to the amazing work you guys do, but hey you have to start somewhere!
(requires 16K)

Si
Attachments
Journey.zip
(113.95 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
Last edited by RetroBasic on Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Hi, Simon,
RetroBasic wrote:I'm new here and new to the Vic 20.
welcome to Denial! :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Michael
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Welcome and thanks for your effort! A text adventure is always worth playing :D
javierglez
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by javierglez »

I've been browsing the code samples for CC65 here https://github.com/cc65/wiki/wiki/Appli ... -assembler

As a tutorial I've modified the 2048 puzzle game for the VIC 20.

The original repository is here https://github.com/nanoflite/2048-cc65. I guess I should request a branch and upload the code modified by me, but I'm not really familiar.

It requires 16kb because of the compiler overhead whileas there's a C16 version running in 3 kb which I guess could run on a stock VIC but for me the point was learn cc65 not the game on itself.

Furthermore I know there's some other versions out there. Anyway here it is the prg in case anyone likes this puzzle.
Attachments
2048.zip
(6.18 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
charles92027
Vic 20 Newbie

My WIP PacMan

Post by charles92027 »

Back in the day I cut my teeth writing different versions of PacMan on the Vic 20. Recently I downloaded the emulator and starting working on this. It still needs some work, but it's coming along. Please comment.
Attachments
pacman.zip
(10.49 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
Mike
Herr VC

Re: My WIP PacMan

Post by Mike »

charles92027 wrote:[...] PacMan [...] still needs some work, but it's coming along. Please comment.
You should at least add a detection for "PacMan got eaten" and "All pills are eaten -> next level". ;) Also, sometimes the scoring seems to 'drop'/'forget' pills.

That being said, continuing a journal in an own (game specific) WIP thread surely is in order. :)
charles92027
Vic 20 Newbie

Re: My WIP PacMan

Post by charles92027 »

Mike wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:21 pm
charles92027 wrote:[...] PacMan [...] still needs some work, but it's coming along. Please comment.
You should at least add a detection for "PacMan got eaten" and "All pills are eaten -> next level". ;) Also, sometimes the scoring seems to 'drop'/'forget' pills.

That being said, continuing a journal in an own (game specific) WIP thread surely is in order. :)
Thanks Mike, I’ll start a WIP thread. The dropping pills seems to be a problem with the order that pac man and the ghosts clear themselves before moving.
In my todo list is death of Pac-Man, changing the level when it clears, a start screen and sound.
Back in the day I didn’t write in ML, so figuring out relatively easy things, like displaying the score, have been particularly fun.