CC65, Vice, SD2IEC Noob Question

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

Tormentor
Vic 20 Drifter

CC65, Vice, SD2IEC Noob Question

Post by Tormentor »

I've always coded on the actual hardware, so very noob question here.

I finally broke down and purchased an SD2IEC, mainly for my 64 but plan to use for my Vic as well, for tinkering this summer.

If I develop on Windows using CC65 and Vice, then get something ready for prime time, I'm assuming there is something to take the PRG files and create D64 images that I can copy to SD2IEC and load on the real hardware?

Maybe it's as simple as the VICE software or another utility will allow me to load PRG and save or convert to D64 format?

Not sure why my Google-fu is failing me, but if someone can connect the final dots on how I'd move end product to real hardware with the SD card, I'd appreciate it.
Mike
Herr VC

Re: CC65, Vice, SD2IEC Noob Question

Post by Mike »

A single *.prg file loads fine directly from SD2IEC, no need to re-package it into *.d64.

For multi-file applications, there's c1541 as part of the VICE distribution which you can use to transfer files between *.d64 image and a PC directory.

Other than that, DirMaster is somewhat widely in use, but it has an unfortunate history of producing borked *.d64 images. If you encounter any issues there, prepare that any help from other people - especially VICE developers - is limited.
Tormentor
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Tormentor »

Many thanks! Sounds easy.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

even if you have several files which are loaded at runtime, doing it straight off a sd card works fine, as long as you are using kernal i/o and make sure the filenames are what the kernal expects (ie no .prg extension)
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Sometimes it's preferable though to put these files into a *.d64 image, for example if you want to have a file placed first in the directory (a boot loader or the like) so it can be loaded with LOAD":*",... or if that set of files truly is intended to be kept together. Otherwise you run the risk of people doing only a partial copy of the folder contents - and then complaining "something doesn't work".
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

I also suggest to use my CBM-FileBrowser to surf SD directories/D64/D71/D81 file image and easily load programs from your CBM machine (Vic-20/C64/C16-Plus4/C128) :wink:
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Nicola, you really should put your browser's download link in signature :)